Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

the scale for high/low blood sugar ?

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
User Profile
What is the scale for high/low blood sugar for example: 4.8-5.6

Can you provide information like that? I was told I have highblood sugar at 5.7

Read more: Diabetes Forum - High Blood Sugar, just diagnosed last week

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2011
Diabetes Answer A25845
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Here are some information regarding to sugar levels normally and in diabetes for your ‎information.‎

According to the 2005 Recommendation of the ADA, you may interpret your fasting ‎blood sugar as follows:‎

• FBS < 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/l) = normal fasting blood sugar;‎

• FBS 100–125 mg/dl (5.6–6.9 mmol/l) = IFG (impaired fasting glucose);‎

• FBS ≥ 126 mg/dl (7.0 mmol/l) = provisional diagnosis of diabetes

Rationale for using fasting blood sugar : The blood glucose level is usually maintained in a range of 2.2-3.9 mmol/L (40-70 ‎mg/dl). ‎

The normal level of glucose in blood is between 70mg/dl and 150 mg/dl.

The random blood ‎glucose level should not be more than 200 mg/dl. ‎

Your FBG levels are within the borderline levels. ‎

The HbA1C test is currently one of the best ways to check diabetes is under control

A normal non-diabetic HbA1C is 3.5 - 5.5 %. In diabetes about 6.5% is good.‎

You might consider consulting a dietitian for advice on a diabetic diet and your physician, for ‎management of diabetes and other associated conditions. ‎

I hope you find my suggestion helpful.‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Diabetes
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.