Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

the pain has gotten worse

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
User Profile
Since young, I've occasionally experienced a dull, aching pain in my 4 limbs (from shoulders to elbows, hips to knees). The pain usually occurs only in one limb at a time and at night, occurs more in my legs than arms, and goes away on its own after a while. Heat helps to relieve the pain. However as I grew older, the pain has gotten worse, it happens more, lasts longer, and the area of pain has expanded, though the intensity of the pain has more or less remained the same. The pain in my legs are more likely to happen after walking a lot, but it can happen too even if i did not walk much in the day. I'm not very sure whether it is bone pain or muscle pain, it feels like it's bone pain but if I try to relax or tense my muscles, the pain intensifies. I have had an x-ray for both my legs for this problem, but the results were fine and my doctor concluded the pains as resulting from lactic acid, which I know is not the right diagnosis.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2016
Arthritis Answer A59482
If a physical examination done has found to be normal, then it is more likely that the pain in your legs is more likely due to somatic conditions like chronic fatigue syndrome, metabolic issues, etc.

But the description of your painful symptoms which are generalized and all over your body, is most likely due to a psychosomatic condition and a trial of antidepressants or medications like gabapentin can help with your symptoms.

It would be best that you consult your doctor and hopefully your concerns can be properly addressed.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Arthritis
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.