Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

The lethargy is what bothers me most.

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
Although I checked the mental health box I'm not sure that's my problem.
I do feel depressed but I think that's because of the other symptoms I have. No energy, tired all the time. Achy joints in hips and shoulders. The lethargy is what bothers me most. I'm not able to work etc.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2011
Depression Answer A21718
Hello.

Your symptoms could be part of what is known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Neurasthenia), though you need to rule out all medical causes for the same. There is currently no consensus on what causes CFS. Most of the symptoms of CFS can mimic those of a depressive disorder. The feature that can separate CFS from Depression is the main complaint. In CFS, fatigue and tiredness is the first complaint and depression comes later in the list. In a depressive disorder, sadness of mood is usually the first complaint.

Another important feature of CFS is that the pain and the fatigue are relieved with rest. This often works against motivation to do tedious work, or even routine work. If you think these are your symptoms too, you may discuss this with your doctors. The treatment can involve psychotherapy, anti-depressants and other treatment modes as deemed necessary by the evaluating physician.

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.