Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Thalassemia, Iron Overload and Menstration Help!!

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Here is a little bit of my history for you all. My mother's father was diagnosed with Thalassemia Major when he was young and at the end of his life time he needed regular blood transfusions. I never spoke to him ever in my life because of other parts of his past that I would rather not get into so I never found out more about this.

In October I miscarried a baby and because of the blood work I gave to determine if it was in fact miscarrying and not just to soon to tell I was diagnosed with extreamly low iron, like it was 4 g/dl, by my doctor and told to take three 300mg iron pills a day to get my iron back up. At the same time that I was getting the blood work done I knew I had miscarried because I was bleeding heavily and cramping bad so I knew that there was no hope for my baby. Since then I have yet to actually receive another period. It's been three months and nothing which is very unusual for me. I have had some issues but I become very easily pregnant and was not using precautions with my husband before this so I'm not sure if it was because I had become pregnant and miscarried, and refuse to allow myself to dwell on that, or other reasons since I also miscarry often.

While taking the iron pills I have become very tired all the time, have had horrible pains in my stomach and have not been to involved with my husband. I had recently found a scan I took of my blood work from the hospital, when I was getting abdoman pains just hours before miscarrying, which showed my hemoglobin at 12.7 g/dl and this blood work was just done two days before. That got me wondering and followed my childhood history with my mother and she remembered her father and told me that they thought he was animic and put him on iron pills as well. I know from the births of the two children that survived that I have naturally low iron because we tested for all of that so I could have a home birth with both. I looked into Thalassemia and found out that you could get misdiagnosed as having low iron when really you don't and how you shouldn't take a heavy dose of iron pills if you have it because it could be wrong. I then looked into Hemochromatosis, iron overload, and found that I have almost all of the symptoms for it and am now stuck here wondering which leads me to my question today...

If it ends up that I in fact have Thalassemia (minor) and because of that ended up with Iron Overload could it be the reason I have not menstruated since starting them? I'm actually hoping that this is the case because I'm terrified that I'm in early menopause and I won't be able to have another baby ever like I want to so badly. Thank you for any help you can give and I'll be making an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to go over my iron blood work again and to ask to get tested for Thalassemia just in case and tell her about what I have found.
Did you find this post helpful?
|