Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

4th Generation Test

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi all can anybody tell me if the 4th generation test is reliable after 5 weeks 4 days as my health advisor told me that i dont need to have another test done as it is conclusive because the tests are so sensitive that it would have definately picked up on something does anybody know if this is true because i still seem to be having the achy body and sore gums also slight sore throat and it is now 8 weeks past possible exposure. I would really appreciate some other opinions i am not sure if i am causing my own symptoms by stressing but i just cant seem to help it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.
‎
The ELISAs are the most common immunoassays utilized for detection of HIV antibodies and antigen.
‎
ELISA has evolved from the first-generation (using viral lysate, detection of IgG antibody), second-‎generation (recombinant antigens), third-generation (detection of IgM and IgG antibodies) and ‎fourth-generation (antibody and antigen detection).
‎
HIV DUO test is a 4th generation ELISA test. The sensitivity of this test is above 99.9, which is very ‎excellent in terms of tests for HIV screening.
‎
HIV ELISA tests detect the presence of antibodies to HIV, which usually present within 4 - 12 weeks of ‎exposure, depending on the severity of exposure (Probable no of virions that might have entered the ‎blood stream). Hence is is important to do the HIV ELISA tests only after 4 weeks to get a valid result. ‎But a repeat test after 12 weeks is advised to avoid any doubts about delayed seroconversion ‎‎(antibody production).
‎
A HIV ELISA test after 12 weeks of exposure, if negative, is considered to be conclusive proof of a ‎negative HIV status.

|

replied March 2nd, 2012
Hi Mellow,

How are you feeling now. When is your 90 days test. I am praying for you. All the best.

Regards
|

replied March 5th, 2012
Hi Letshope
90 daytest is 30th march need it to be tomorrow really but i just have to wait. Thank you for your best wishes
|

replied March 5th, 2012
hi
Hi Mellow,

How are you doing now. Keep writing to me. It will relieve a lot of stress. GOD Bless You.
|

replied March 8th, 2012
Hi Letshope

Thanks for asking i'm doing a bit better thanks couldn't wait another 3 weeks so had another test today just awaiting the results still got symptoms but feeling a bit more positive after the pep talk they gave me at the clinic will get results by Monday i hope.

Mellow
|

replied March 13th, 2012
Hi,

Hope you are doing well. Did you get the report of your test. All the best. I pray for you dear.
|

replied March 15th, 2012
Hi
Just wanted to let you know that my 10 week test came back negative i feel suddenly uplifted although i know there is one more at the 90 day mark so all in all i am happy for now.
Thank you for your support
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Hi

Thats Great news. I am also very happy. I am sure all will be fine at the end. We have completed taken the shelter of GOD. Dear Can you pls. pray for me also, as I am in the same boat. Thanks..
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Hi Mellow,

Are you online. How are you feeling now. I feel so depressed dear.
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Hi Mellow,

Are you online. How are you feeling now. I feel so depressed dear.
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Hi
I will pray for you and have hope. I didnt realise you were in the same situation how many weeks in are you? If its any help at all after having a talk with my health advisor i felt so much better maybe (if you haven't already) you should try talking to someone in that field. I really hope all is well with you.

Mellow
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Hi Letshope
I think i was replying to you as you were contacting me I know how you feel i don't know your situation but all i can say you must try to pull yourself out of your depressed state (easier said than done i know) but stress is a big killer and can bring on all sorts of symptoms so you dont know what is happening to your body
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Thanks Mellow,

The sad part is i have experienced all symtomps so far. My 8week report was negative. Now i am in 11th week. GOD can only save me. The worst time in my life dear.
|

replied March 16th, 2012
what all symtopms did you face. Have they gone out.
|

replied March 16th, 2012
I have all the symptoms and still have them body aches mouth ulcer rash swollen glands you name it i had it or still have it but if you really think about it when you stress your immune system suppresses the cells you need to fight these ailments so if you are stressed then every symptom we have can be related to that so the best thing is to get tested but in the meantime try to put it to the back of your mind. If you have been tested at 8 weeks and it was negative then it is a very very good indicator that you are not infected What test were they using if it was the 4th generation test then 95% of people will definatley test conclusively at 8 weeks even before so please try to stay and think positvie i know its hard but you are doing yourself no good at all. God Bless You
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Dear

The stress is too high. Just not able to cope up any more. Pls. pray that all will be fine. Its worse than hell now. GOD Pls. help me.
|

replied March 20th, 2012
Hi
You really need to calm down i think you are in your last week now just go and get tested it will calm you down either way. Just remember stress is a KILLER please try not to stress too much I am going for my last test on friday so maybe you should book an appointment and get it over with as well. I pray for you and wish you all the best.

Mellow
|

replied March 21st, 2012
Thanks Dear.

I wish you Good Luck for your test. What do u do as a profession. How you are managing the stress and guilt.
|

replied March 21st, 2012
Thanks Dear.

I wish you Good Luck for your test. What do u do as a profession. How you are managing the stress and guilt.
|

replied March 21st, 2012
Thank You.

I pray for you for your test. Wish you all the best.
Do Write to me. Whats your profession. How you pass time. How do you manage stress and get over the guilt.
|

replied April 5th, 2012
Hey

How r u. Long time no news from your side. Hope everything is fine at your end. Thanks.
|

replied April 7th, 2012
Hi
Things are good my end i have decided to put this episode behind me just move on with my life my last test at 12 weeks was negative so that the end of it as far as im concerned i do hope you are much better and your test results were negative i wish you all the best and continue to pray for you.
|

replied April 9th, 2012
Hi,

I am really happy that all went well with you. Yes my 90days test was also negative. Still praying GOD to help me in future.

Thanks..
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.