Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

4th generation test 84 days after the encounter

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Dear doctor,
I took up a HIV DUO CMIA (4th generation test)test 84 days after the encounter. The result came as "non- reactive" and my index was 0.41 and the reference level said that the index has to be greater than 1 to be reactive.
It was also mentioned that p24 test is taken only for patents with "reactive" results.
But i have been having inexplicable diarrhea and fever occasionally.
Do I have to take any other tests or am I safe.
Kindly advise .
Thank You

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A27312
Hello and welcome to e health forum.
‎ ‎
All ELISA tests usually detect HIV antibody definitely within 4 -6 weeks of a ‎infective exposure. ‎
‎ ‎
Since you probably, have a normal immune system, it is likely that the latest ELISA test at 12 weeks (84 days) which ‎is negative is a indicative of your HIV negative status. ‎

Hence it can be surely said that you do not have HIV. ‎

With regard to your diarrhea, they could be due to anxiety associated or due to bacterial infections due to food poisoning. They cannot be attributed to HIV. You might consult with your doctor and get a stool analysis, and other tests, to determine the cause of your symptoms.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.