Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Testing, Low-Positive, and What Next

Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
A year or so ago, I got with a new partner (I don't date often) and we became sexually active. As usual, I suggested we both get tested first. I asked my doc for a "full screening" and he told me that there's no such thing here in Oregon. He said we could test for whatever I wanted to, and I said we might as well test for everything. I discovered, much to my dismay, that Oregon doesn't test for HSV-2 (genital herpes) as a standard screening, and it cost quite a bit more than the other tests, but I went for it anyway thinking it'd just be good to confirm that I was negative - never had any symptoms of any STDs in the past.

So, I get my IGG results and, surprise! I have antibodies for HSV-2, but it's a low-positive... 1.9 and the cut-off is 1.1. Of course, the world dropped-out from under me and I was crushed for a while. I told him that I've never had any symptoms, and he said it just means I've been exposed at some point. I asked him what to do, and he said really not to worry about it - that 50% of people in Oregon have been exposed at some point or another (something like that), people don't usually get tested unless they have symptoms, and that I'm just freaking myself out. He said the chance, even with unprotected sex, is almost zero so it's not anything to worry about at all.

I waited half-year or so, then did a re-test just to be sure... my next IGG result came back 1.6, even lower? Still no symptoms whatsoever. My girlfriend broke up with me after my first test, and I've been in limbo as to how to approach this... I really wish I'd never been tested in the first place, as now I've got this damned cloud following me everywhere. I haven't dated in the past year because I don't know what I should say to a new partner, or if I should say anything at all. With such a low-positive, twice in a row, I'm seriously doubting that I have it at all. I even got 3 of my only 7 partners to get tested, and all came up negative. I had unprotected sex with them all, multiple times, and they're all negative...

So, am I just freaking myself out? I've only had sex with 7 or so people in my entire life (I'm 33), none of which have ever mentioned having STDs, and have no symptoms for anything. The partners who got tested came up negative. What to do, what to do... I hate that this one little doubt is keeping me from having a healthy, normal dating life. It's pretty ridiculous, actually, but I'm one of those people whose guilty-conscience keeps him from lying to people in a major way.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2010
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The possibility of you acquiring the infection could be from any of the other 4 girls with whom you had unprotected intercourse (since 3 of them came back negative). As said earlier by your treating doctor, people can remain totally asymptomatic and not show any signs of infections. And not everyone gets tested if they do not have symptoms. The reducing levels of IGG could suggest that there is no active infection. You can have outbreaks in between. You can consider taking prophylactic treatment to prevent these outbreaks and from passing on to your future partner.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.