Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Test for yeast infection was negative... so what do I have?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I've been having some mild itching in my vagina that seemed to get worse after I ate bread that was baked with yeast. I also have a bit of an open and wet feeling down there. I thought I had a yeast infection because I have a history of those and my boyfriend was recently diagnosed with a male yeast infection, but when I saw my gynecologist and my regular doctor, they said the tests came back negative for yeast, bacterial vaginosis, uti and stds. The only thing out of the ordinary (test wise) was a small amount of free hemoglobin in my urine, which the doctor said was nothing to worry about or even look into. I have a little bit of white discharge, but no noticeable odor. I have frequent urination, but I do drink a lot of water. I also dribble a little bit after urination, and my periods are very irregular, often 3 months late. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2011
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If the investigations done revealed no infection, it could be possible that you are not having any infection. The itching could be due to the altered vaginal secretion. If your partner is having infection, both should get treated simultaneously to prevent re-infection. Continue to maintain healthy diet, drink plenty of water. The cause for irregular periods would need further investigations. You should consider visiting a gynecologist for further evaluation to rule out hormonal problems, thyroid hormone dysfunction, ovarian cysts etc. Treatment as indicated would be started to help you get your menstrual cycles regulated.
Take care.

|

replied March 30th, 2011
Thanks for responding to my post. My partner just finished his fluconazole, but they didn't prescribe anything for me because the test results were negative. Do you think my itchiness will go away if I continue drinking plenty of water and eating a healthy diet?

I had my prolactin and thyroid levels checked. They were both normal. The gynecologist told me that as long as I have my period at least once every three months, it's nothing to worry about. Do you think I should get a second opinion? Thank you again for your response.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.