Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

terrible mood swings and I know this isnt normal behaviour

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
I am wondering if i may have a form of bipolar disorder, i have terrible mood swings where i can be lying curled up on the floor crying uncontrollably even thinking about suicide and then just a short while later il be running round the house singing happily thinking life isnt so bad, i can change from one to the other very quickly and I know this isnt normal behaviour but i cant control it. I find myself thinking and doing destructive things that arent in my character to do. I have been recieving treatment for depression for years but nothing works, i do have more episodes of intense lows than highs. I scare myself sometimes, i actually attacked my partner recently which is something i would never normally do and i honestly can't really understand why i did it. When im really low i have thoughts of self-harm and on a few occasions have hurt myself. I dont see the point in going back to my doctor as they'll just say its depression. Could it be bipolar?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2011
Bipolar Disorder Answer A24654
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the mood swings that you are having. These look like bipolar disorder which is characterized by mood swings. The mood swings vary from depression to mood elevation.

Treatment usually consists of the mood stabilizing drug-lithium, anticonvulsants, antipsychotic drugs and benzodiazepines. In this condition, treatment is lifelong and relapses are common after discontinuation of the medicines. So it is important that you consult a good psychiatrist and start with the treatment so that worsening of symptoms does not occur.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.