Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Terazol and Diflucan effectiveness (Page 1)

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
Hello, I'm new to this particular forum but was wondering if anyone has any personal experience using both meds.

For my first two yeast infections (that occurred 4-6 weeks ago, 2 weeks apart), my Dr. gave me Diflucan--1 dose 150mg. It took about 5 days for it to work but the itching never really went away. The third time around (last night) I started on Terazol3 cream. I'm not noticing any immediate healing at all, and in fact it's hard to even see whether or not the yeast is still there because of the cream. Confused

Has anyone experienced immediate relief with either one of these, if not, how long does Terazol usually take into effect? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper femalehelp
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2008
Experienced User
Yeast Infection.
I have tried both and neither one has worked for me. I just tried another double dose of diflucan last week and it did not work. I am so fed up with my yeast infection. When I post about it, people think it comes and goes, but its non-stop. It is always here. Mad

You should go to your local vitamin shop and get some good probiotics. Thats what I was told to do.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
In The Same Boat
I'm taking Terazol right. I'm only on day 2 but as soon as I put the cream in the itching stopped. Like Shannashaine I've had a continual discharge for years and years now (dunno how long hers has been going). A few years ago I was prescribed Diflucan and it didn't do anything, but I can't remember if I took it when I was supposed to. When they prescribed it to me she said she only noticed a very small imbalance in the pH levels.

I went back a month or so ago and they said I had BV and put me on Metronidazole. Afterwards I still had discharge but it was different. I went back and they prescribed me this cream stuff for a yeast infection, even though they said they didn't see anything on the pap, but the cream helped immediately with the itching (which I've never experienced) so I'm thinking that's what it was. Hopefully this will be the end of the road for me, because I'm sick to death of dealing with it.
|
Users who thank Odd_Bob for this post: Shannashaine 

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2009
Experienced User
in reply to Odd Bob
So now you have had a vaginal yeast infection for years like me? Did you know that yeast can actually spread through your body if you have it long enough? For example, having what you think to be just a localized yeast infection could actually have turned systemic. But it takes a long time. I'm so damn scared of this yeast infection because I know it's taking a toll on my body.
|

replied April 28th, 2009
Yeasties
I don't know if you ladies have tried this before, but I used to get YI's ALL THE TIME. I still get them occasionally. Diflucan never worked for me, neither did any of the OTC or prescriptions meds, at least not on their own. I don't remember how I discovered it but I finally tried using the one day Monistat ovule, followed immediately by the 3 day Monistat suppositories (4 days of meds in a row total). Warning - the one day stuff is really, REALLY irritating, but I think it's because it's really strong, and it sticks for a few days. Then the 3 day stuff kind of keeps a steady dose of antifungal long enough to make sure it doesn't come back. Works for me every time now. Too bad I didn't do it this time, and now I'm paying the price. Stupid Terazol!!
|

replied June 6th, 2009
I'm going through something similar. I've had recurrent/persistent BV and yeast (sometimes simultaneously) for the last 4 years or so. It's been scary, frustrating, and difficult. I've never had a doctor who's been willing to work with this, and last week was the first time any tests have been ordered for underlying causes-- they're still at the lab, so I'm trying to enjoy the week and not be nervous, but still.

I also suspect I may have had a bout of oral thrush, which seems to have cleared up with the 3rd Diflucan in as many weeks. However, I'm not entirely sure it was thrush, and no one took a culture. It could easily have been allergies/sulfuric compounds built up, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Nothing's really helped. I'm on day 4 of Terazol-7, and while it does a bit to stave off the itching during the day, I think the cream irritates the vulvar area.

If this doesn't work, I'm at my wit's end. I also take L. Reuteri every day, and I'll believe that it can do its part to maintain a healthy body, but concur that it does nothing to clear up an infection, at least not in the doses I take.
|

replied September 15th, 2009
Holy itchies
I have suffered for 3 weeks now with severe, and i mean severe itching in my vagina and rectum. Took Diflucan twice and it has only weakened it for a little while. I am waiting for results from a pap. I am seriously thinking of visiting the hospital since no one seems to be able to figure out what is wrong with me. I have not tried terazol, maybe that would work??? If any body has an itch they can visit me now since I have every single medication over the counter available!! (None have worked)
|

replied October 5th, 2009
terazol works for me like a band-aid...it clears up almost immediatley and comes back in like 2 weeks...been having yeast and fullness in my lower abdomen and frequent urination and discharge and odor..all that...hurts to even wear underwear...no doctor helps
|

replied October 8th, 2009
Yeast Infection
I am in the same position. Three weeks ago, I was diagnosed with BV and given Flagyl which I ended up being allergic to. I went back and was taken off of it and given Clyndamycin and Prednisone which ended up giving me a yeast infection. They just gave me Diflucan two days ago and I am still having severe itching and burning.
|

replied October 14th, 2009
I went through a very similar situation last year. I had a yeast infection that I attempted to treat with monostat, which burned and irritated me so terribly that it caused me to bleed so I had to stop taking it. I went to my doctor who prescribed me Diflucan. After taking it the yeast discharge stopped but I kept itching and burning like crazy. This continued for about 3 or 4 months where I would keep going back to my doctor and she would just keep prescribing me Diflucan and sometimes even antibiotics (even when I had no infection beyond yeast and the antibiotics made the yeast worse) and saying that "it should clear up the problem". The only thing that was clear was that Diflucan was not doing the trick. I was unable to get into my gynecologists office on short notice so I finally got an emergency visit at another OBGYN in my town. He was wonderful and said that a lot of times Diflucan isn't enought to completely stop the yeast. He said that the infection may appear to be gone (i.e., there is no yeast discharge), but there is still yeast on the skin which causes severe itching and burning and skin lesions. He prescribed me Terazol (7 day, not 3 day) in combination with Diflucan. This, along with a change to 100% cotton undewear and non-scented hypoallergenic detergent, completely cleared up all my problems and I havent had another yeast infection until now, over a year later. My only issue now is that my doctor (the same one who didnt treat my problem last year) is refusing to write me a script for Terazol and keeps telling me that "Diflucan should clear it up". Needless to say, I will be in the market for a new doctor tomorrow and hopefully my gynecologist will write my Terazol script. In any event, if you are suffering from a persistent yeast infection that Diflucan alone wont treat I would recommend taking diflucan in combination with a 7 day supply of Terazol and a probiotic supplement which can be purchased at a local grocery or health food store. The insightful gynecologist who treated my problem last year also told me that if the itching is really bad to get some plain yogurt and put a dab on an unscented pad. This also seemed to help.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
Tried both separately, but now im trying them 2gether
Ive gotten YI on 3 occasions and they were years apart. The 1st one I was prescribed Terazol 3day and it worked. 2nd, was Diflucan and it did nothing. So I went back to Terazol and again it worked. This time around was the worst yeast and I told my DR. I've had enough I want this to stop, so she told me to follow this regimen:

-Take Diflucan(oral) and Terazol(vaginal) TOGETHER

Now to keep it away:
-cut down on sugar(yeast feeds on sugar)
-Eating plain yogurt with probiotics and/or inserting it vaginally once a week (same probiotics in yogurt is found in the vagina, which keeps the balance)
-Taking acidopheles pills
and this next one sounds kind of strange but she swears by it
-Flushing weekly with Hydrogen Peroxide

I just picked up my meds today so I hope this helps for myself and others, cause I know what ya going thru.
|

replied November 29th, 2009
Ii have been dealing with this problem for about a year and a half and i'm at, nearly the end of my rope. I finally got to see a consultant who basically told me, it isn't serious, some women just have recurrent thrush (Hello before this i had only ever had it twice in my life and all of a sudden i get it more than once a month). It's got to the point where when am given medication of any kind the best i get is two days off then i am back to pain, itching, hotness, redness.

The consultatant told me he couldn't see an infection, even though the next day the white discharge came back (ironic) or where the irritation might be occuring despite the fact my vagina looked very angry that day!! He gave me a all the meds i've had before and a stupid canesten cream HC, which i've had before. He gave me a huge tub of cream and oilatum, basically telling me oh the irritation is probably dryness. Sorry, but b*&%$£%t!! He told me to use no soap or cream, and use non biological wash packet (I don't use any on bottom half clothes anyway), change my diet (to a strict thrush diet!) and see you in four months....great...meanwhile sex is becoming less and less enjoyable due to the pain, i am ripping my hair out and all he can say is it isn't serious....hum, gee thanks....
|

replied February 11th, 2010
I've been having problems with this yeast infection for about 9 months. This all started back in MAY when I had one small yeast infection. Before this, I've only had problems when given hormones. For example, the condom broke and my husband ran me to the pharm to get the plan B pill. The next day, woke up with a Yeast infection. Took the diflucon 150mg, worked in a few days.
Next instance was when I was trying the Nuva Ring as my method of BC. The next day, I got a yeast infection AND a UTI. How lucky was that? Took the diflucon and whatever else cured the UTI, gone within days.
Finally, we tried the Paragard which worked and it only has a SMALL dose of hormones.
Now this is where the real fun starts...
Long story short, I had a reoccuring sickness that resulted from an unsuccessful surgery 2 1/2 years ago which the treatment required me to go to the hospital 1-2x a month to have two external biliary tubes changed. After each procedure, they pumped me full of antibiotics to prevent infection. I didn't really know this until a month ago (about the antibiotics) This whole ordeal started in August while I still had the small yeast infection going on.
However, what was a small yeast infection, turned into the worst thing ever. I don't get the itching but the burning is enough to drive anyone insane. Since some of my time was spent in the hospital (couple visits) for a few days or so, they pumped me full of antibiotics and prescribe you diflucon once a day with your cocktail of medication. What once cured my yeast infection, does nothing now. My body grew a tolerance and laughed at the pink pill... even when I was taking 300mg a DAY.
So, in all... I still have this yeast infection. The tubes are gone (thankfully and FINALLY) so the added stress my body went through can return to normal. I also had the paragard removed in case the stress set off the hormones and that may have caused something. Right now I'm on 200mg of diflucon every other day (which I still think isn�t enough) in addition to terconazole 7. I'm also taking probiotics, eating yogurt and cutting back on sugar.
We'll see how this goes.
|

replied May 7th, 2010
I also has problems with this after surgery. I started having infection problems 7 months ago. I kept going back to the doctor over and over and being treated for different things (yeast, gardnarella, bv, ureaplasma). At this point I''m pretty sure they were just guessing. Before I went to the hospital I was on 6 antibiotics a day. It turned out I had endometriosis and a cyst twisted around my fallopian tube. Painful but there was never any infection! Unfortunately, the antibiotics caused real infections!! Now, I''ve had chronic infections since my surgery 5 months ago. Diflucan doesn''t seem to help at all. I''m trying the no sugar, no wheat diet, but it seems to be killing me. The discharge seems to have gotten worse with the Diflucan (and a weird white powdery sort of thing?), and the itching is a lot worse! It''s hard to sleep. I''m wondering how much of this is "die-off" symptoms?
|

replied May 19th, 2010
THREELAC THREELAC THREELAC
THREELAC THREELAC THREELAC. This is all I can say because it works. It is a probiotic supplement that eats the yeast. You should go on a diet free of sugars and white flour while on it. It will work faster. Sugars and white flour is what feeds the yeast. Systemic yeast infections can take several months to heal. So be patient and start taking threelac.
|

replied May 19th, 2010
komcd wrote:
I also has problems with this after surgery. I started having infection problems 7 months ago. I kept going back to the doctor over and over and being treated for different things (yeast, gardnarella, bv, ureaplasma). At this point I''m pretty sure they were just guessing. Before I went to the hospital I was on 6 antibiotics a day. It turned out I had endometriosis and a cyst twisted around my fallopian tube. Painful but there was never any infection! Unfortunately, the antibiotics caused real infections!! Now, I''ve had chronic infections since my surgery 5 months ago. Diflucan doesn''t seem to help at all. I''m trying the no sugar, no wheat diet, but it seems to be killing me. The discharge seems to have gotten worse with the Diflucan (and a weird white powdery sort of thing?), and the itching is a lot worse! It''s hard to sleep. I''m wondering how much of this is "die-off" symptoms?

My die off symptoms can get pretty bad. Thats when I know that the yeast is dying off. The yeast produce toxins that will wear down your immune system. Eating antioxidant rich foods will boost your defenses. I try to drink lipton tea. not the instant stuff but the actual tea bags where you heat up the water. dont give up
|

replied July 3rd, 2010
chilli and garlic sauce worked for me.my discharge is stopping...........its funny but its working on my yeast infection
|

replied July 6th, 2010
I just took the 2 doses of Diflucan and I had this yeast infection for at least 2 months,Tried all the OTC meds before the diflucan..the itching and burning is gone,but i still have the odd discharge.Could this just be a die off symptom?
|

replied September 20th, 2010
It sounds like many of you have candida yeast overgrowth. I think I have that too. I've been ready LOTS about it lately. It sounds like most of you are having your symptoms healed (at times) but not the cause. From what I've read, we need to kill the yeast bacteria that has taken over our bodies and keep it from coming back. I just came from a site that sells threelac. I'm looking for people who have used it so I know if it's really going to work so I don't waste my money.
|

replied October 6th, 2010
I've been a suffer of yeast infections all my life and im 31. After lookin up natural remedies, im waayyyy better now. Some of the foods, stress, and birth controls i read could be my culprits.
|
12 >>