Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

tenderness in rib area

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Hi,

For the past 9 months or so, I have been experiencing discomfort/pain in my abdomen. I have visited my doctor on 4 or 5 occasions, initially the pain started in my back and moved round to my front. The doctor put this down to muscle strain and for the best part of 5/6 months, I didn't have any problems.

However since September, I have had a pain in my sides and sometimes across the front just below my ribs. When I went back to the doctor, he felt my stomach and lower abdomen area and couldn't feel anything. He ordered blood tests to check liver, kidney and some test that checked for any internal swelling - all came back clear. He was still claiming it was muscular.

I went to a chiropractor who said I was very tight in my diaphragm and when he applied any pressure on my upper rib across breastbone area, it was very painful. He treated me for 3/4 weeks and whilst I did get some relief, the pain then restarted a few days after my last session without any warning. When I went back to chiropractor, he thinks now that his work might be providing relief but it's probably secondary to the main problem and advised me to go back to doctor.

For the past fortnight, the pain has been predominantly in my left side around my rib area although there is discomfort on the right side rib as well. Occassionally the pain moves lower down beneath belly button and it can sometimes feel like there is something there, though when I gently feel around and push down, I can't sense anything. The pain is there pretty much all of the time and I get no relief during the day, it is just as painful lying in bed as when I'm moving around. It feels like I've overworked a muscle after exercise or strained myself but I know this is not the case. In the past month or so, my period has become irregular as well and I have passed a little bit of blood (although the doctor said this could just be a tear and gave me cream and said it wasn't anything to worry about).

I have another appointment with my doctor next week but it's very difficult not to be thinking the worst at this stage.

Has anyone any idea what this might be? Do any of the symptoms sound familiar?

Any advice / sharing of experiences would be great!

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 8th, 2009
tenderness in rib area
I too am experiencing the same syptoms as you, including the irregular periods. I have a second doctor's appointment coming up, but do not have any answers at this point. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. If anyone has more information, it would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied February 8th, 2009
I went back to my doctor. She thinks it could be a few different things. She thinks it could be something concerning my colon, or a stomach complaint, or perhaps a cyst.

She tested me for H-pylori which came back positive, so I'm on tablets to clear that up and also she prescribed 30 days tablets for my colon. Since I started these tablets, thankfully I haven't experienced any pain so hopefully it has sthg to do with colon or stomach.

I am going for a scan next month to check that everything is ok in my lower abdomen and also to rule out any cysts. Hopefully by process of elimination, we'll get to the bottom of the discomfort.
|

replied January 27th, 2010
Abdominal pain
I am male and been having the same symptoms. I have dull to sharpe pains across both my left and right stomach areas just below my rib cage. It started on my right side so my doctor ran a gallbladder test which was negative. My right side is swollen and sticks out a bit. I have a felling of always being full and bloated, along with pressure pains. I can not sleep on my right side because it wakes me up at night. My doctor has ordered blood work and an ultrasound, but it seems like the pain is moving all over my stomach now.

Anyone have any thoughts?
|

replied February 10th, 2010
I'm a 49-year old female with the same symptoms. Been through numerous tests, all come back normal. Dr. has no idea, and doesn't seem too concerned with finding out. In doing some research, I came across some articles on Painful Rib Syndrome, associated with Myofascial Pain syndrome. It sounds like I might be on to something. Search for Painful Rib syndrome and see if that sounds like what you're experiencing. If this is the problem, it is painful but not serious, and physical therapy might help.
|