Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Tender breasts and spotting

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
User Profile
i was 1 week late for my period i came on and only had a 2 day cycle, i normaly have 4 days. i came off about a week ago iv had tender breasts for about 5 days now and i started spotting this morning redish brown blood, please help me i am not on the pill or anything.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2009
Breasts Answer A6366
Unfortunately, it is impossible to provide a specific diagnosis over the Internet. There are multiple possible causes of irregular or missed menstrual periods, and so I really cannot provide much specific advice about this in your case, given the informaiton that you have provided. Likewise, breast pain can have several different causes (although breast cancer only very rarely causes breast pain, and even a large cancer in one breast cannot cause pain in both breasts). Generalized breast tenderness involving both breasts is most often caused by changes in the levels of female sex hormones during the menstrual cycle.

Assuming that you are not pregnant, you appear to have had an irregular menstrual cycle, and most of the time, this is not a serious health problem (a woman's menstrual cycle can become irregular, or missed, due to many different causes, including other illnesses, medications, weight loss, increased stress levels and, of course, pregnancy).

If your periods do not return to your normal, regular cycle, then you should follow up with your primary physician or gynecologist. Finally, as an Oncologist, it would be irresponsible of me not to remind you that smoking is the #1 cause of preventable death. I hope that you will give up smoking as a strategy to proteect your health!

Sincerely / Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.