Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Telling doctors about cutting ?

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
User Profile
Hello all...
I'm a cutter, and I was just wondering if it's necessary for my doctors to know... I'd really rather not tell them, for obvious reasons.
Thanks in advance!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 9th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Yes, it is. Why would you hide something you want to get help for?
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2009
Experienced User
Because, as you can probably tell... it's mentally 'off-kilter'... I'm also ashamed of how this would look on my mom.
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2009
Supporter
Tarimisu--I am so happy you are thinking about this..TO me it means you are working harder on this and that you recognize it is (off kilter)..That you care how it will reflect on your mom-I am so proud of you for making these steps..

You know the answer don't you..If you are unsure--I believe the doctor needs to know..During examination he will see and it best you ar upfront before he sees..At the same time you are of age that you can ask that your mom not be in the room but have a nurse present and talk to him privately..(You could let your mom know in advance so as not to throw her off that you'd prefer that she wait out of the room for your exam to be over)..This will show your mom you are growing and give you the needed opportunity to talk openly..Let doc know though that your mom needs to know so she can be helped to understand..good girl..

what made you chose the emblame you have now? Would you PM me..I am wondering if I am not seeing things as clear as I thought in our PMs..
Kd
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2009
Experienced User
KD: You're totally fine. I agree with you...and I just might give it a try.
Oh, the profile pic is an organization (TWLOHA) and they help addictions, abuse victims...I messaged you about it. Smile
I didn't mean to throw you off... my bad. Razz
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2009
Supporter
You are rotten that is for sure..ha ha..
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2009
Experienced User
I know! Smile My grandmother tells me that ALL THE TIME! She says: "you're rotten to the core"
and I say, "cuz I got it from you". Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2009
Supporter
hello there. Ive sent you an e.mail hun and yes tell your doctor and we have great faith in you asking for help you need.
Love the new avatar and hope the organisation it stands for is helping you also.
take care my thoughts are with you.
hugs
ioka.
|

replied June 14th, 2009
okay you said youre a swimmer in your "is puking and not eating an eating disorder" post...how can you cut your thighs and be a swimmer...swimming=bathing suit. cutting thighs and wearing a bathing suit=people seeing your cuts! im not trying to be mean i just dont understand. if you want help your best option is to talk to your school therapist. or just tell your mom your depressed and want to see a therapist. you dont have to tell her anything you dont want to.
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2009
Experienced User
IOKA: You're brilliant. Razz I really appreciate your thoughts and such. I really think it helps...having people tell you they care.
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2009
Experienced User
1337YOU: Yeah, I'm a swimmer, and I wear "jammers" usually more expensive, but well worth it! I'm not ashamed of my cuts, just apprehensive.
You're not being mean. It's okay, I've been asked worse. Very Happy Well, I'm home-schooled, so I'm just stuck with my youth pastor. Smile Not "stuck" actually, cuz he's great, it is just that I sometimes wish that you people were around here...live and real. You know what I mean? Not just words on a screen... humm...
|
Quick Reply