Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Teeth whitening caused white spots

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
ohhhnooo.
I decided to try aquafresh white trays.
bigmistake.
I have just finished my first time with them and am left with white spots.
only a few, but enough to drive me insane.
and I just got my braces off D:
stupid me.
What can I do to make these go away?
Do they ever fade?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper eeyore46
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
I have had my teeth whitened and the dentist told me this would happen after the first week or two, and then they would go away and the color would all blend. I didn't believe it, but sure enough that is what happened. The crest strips are good and I have heard the aqua fresh trays are even better. The same thing happened with my daughter, she uses the crest strips, and hers appeared uneven for only a couple of days, and now are extremely white! Just continue for a couple of more weeks, twice daily. I think you will see a difference. I was like you in the beginning, but I am so happy I stayed with it.
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
Is there anyway to make it fade without continuing the treatment?
it scares me D:
|

replied May 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
I think in time, yes, it will all blend together. However, my dentist told me that the over the counter products are just as effective and very safe - why are you scared? I have always heard good things about whitening, nothing negative. At first your gums may be a little tender, and in that case you do it every other day. You will love your teeth, white teeth are very, very attractive. I have been whitening for four years now. I began with my dentist and had trays made, but now I use the crest white strips, easier and costs less. Plus, he told me it was safe. I had to sleep in my original trays, and the crest strips are so much faster and easier. I never thought I would have bright white teeth. Ever since I was a child, mine were discolored (self-conscious) now, everyone comments on my teeth. I have not had any dental trouble, cavities, gum problems, etc.
|

replied April 6th, 2009
spots
Just got the white spots you are refering to after having my teeth professionally bleached using blue light. I too am now intimidated by the prospect of continuing to bleach. What if it just makes the white spots whiter....
|

replied May 13th, 2009
WHITE SPOTS ON TEETH
Hi GRF, I too have just had my teeth professionally whitened and white spots have appeared on my teeth, which I think are very noticeable! I too am worried in case it just makes the spots whiter, I have been so upset because the people who done it don't seem to know why its happened and are saying its a problem to do with lack of calcium, which I know its not bcoz they werent there before! What have you decided to do? Did you continue with the whitening?
|

replied May 22nd, 2009
No White Spot
There are many factors to consider before going for tooth whitening, thats what my doctor told me. I got tooth whitening treatment from a reliable dentist. Due to him i got no such side effect.
|

replied August 19th, 2009
MI PASTE PLUS to help with the spots
I am a dental hygienist and my advice is to ask your dental professional for a product called MI PASTE PLUS. It is made from Amorphous Calcium Phosphate and Fluoride. These are all ingredients in helping the tooth become hard. This ACP formula is great for sensitivity after whitening, cavity protection, and to get those white spots to go away faster. In this formula is the widely known product "Recaldent". It is also found in Trident X-tra Care.... but not as highly concentrated as found in the professionally dispensed MI PASTE PLUS.
|

replied March 17th, 2010
Can one use 30% hydogen peroxide with my existing trays for teeth whitening.beauty shop peroxide??
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2010
Continue the whitening with other products.
|

replied August 12th, 2010
Proper advice from a qualified dentist
Hello everyone

First off I would like to say that I am a fully qualified dentist. I see that you all have queries regarding the white spots that appear after tooth whitening. I have come across this forum as I was doing an internet search to learn what peoples' expectations are from tooth whitening and what their experience is like afterwards because in most cases after I whiten a patient's teeth I don't normally see them for another six months and thus I never get immediate feedback. This is an exercise to improve my practice.

ANYWAYS just to clear this up - the white spots that many of you are experiencing after tooth whitening is due to dehydration of the tooth's enamel. For those of you who try home whitening kits go ahead and run your fingers against your teeth a couple of times - you'll notice that they are exceptionally dry and your fingers get stuck onto them quite quickly. There's no need to worry! After a week or so the enamel will rehydrate and these white spots will fade away! I can only say this for professional whitening kits.. I can't guarantee this will happen with over the counter products.

An important thing to note - If you are considering tooth whitening and you have already got a few white spots (due to dental fluorosis for example) then these spots will become brighter and the effect may be permanent or may take a long time to fade back to their original shade
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Should I continue using whitening gel from a dentist ?
HEllO,

I just started using a whitening gel with molded trays from my dentist. This is the third day that I have used this (it is 22% strength) and after taking it off today I have three white spots on my front teeth and one adjacent tooth. The question I have is should I continue to use the whitening tube for the remaining three days? Or should I take a break or discontinue use completely ?

Thank you
K
|

replied December 9th, 2010
How to get rid of them ASAP
Hey guys,
I too have had those awful white spots on my teeth, and mine stayed with me for what seemed like forever! I was sooo frustrated! It turns out...the reason that they were staying around was my toothpaste. My toothpaste (which I also combined with a daily whitening gel (arm & hammer brand) was only worsening it). If you want to make sure that your white spots fade ASAP use a generic product...not something that says "extra whitening" as that will have an effect similar to what your whitening stuff did and will keep those white spots around extra long. I quit using the whitening gell, and then that kind of toothpaste as well, I went to a generic kind and in a week my spots were hardly noticable, another week and so and they were invisible. Hope that helps Smile
|

replied July 10th, 2011
It is good to hear that I am not the only one out there that is experiencing white spots due to whitening. I used crest white strips 4 years ago and NEVER had issues with getting white spots. Now I got a free whitening treatment from my dentist (gel trays) and within 4 days I got white spots on my two front teeth.

I was told that they are dehydrated so I stopped using the trays but it has been over a month and they have not faded or gone away.

I pride myself in my teeth and I really don't know what else to do to get them to go away.

Does it take longer than a month for this to "magically" go away or should I consider doing something else? One of my main concerns is that I don't want the white spots to get whiter and the rest of my teeth not....

Any advice?
|

replied February 20th, 2012
i just got my braces off like 3 months ago and i had the whitening treatment just today and by the time i came to look at my teeth after 2-3 hours of having the treatment done i had already white spots in my teeth. Due because of it i have no clue on what to do and Im afraid of eating and making the white spots turn brighter and even create more on the rest of my teeth. Would they go away? I got the gel to keep on doing the treatment at home but not until later 24 hours. PLEASE help me! I dont know what to do with this problem and just even smiling makes me just get all down due to the white spots being so noticeable
|

replied December 15th, 2012
The teeth whitening products suggested by your dentist would help you for removing the spots. Also take care and definitely consult before consuming such products.
|

replied October 10th, 2013
Till the time your white spots fade away, you can use some whitening products, which will make your teeth white in a uniform way.

Try having a look at whiteblitz.com.
|

replied October 15th, 2013
I got the White spots just now. .
Everything else is still yellow!!.I really hope it blends in after the 14 days. I used the trays add well.I. .p.s. how do you rehydrate your teeth. . They are always wet aren't they?
|

replied November 29th, 2013
Make Them Stop!
I just started using Crest 3D Whitening Strips, and those white spots started appearing! However, I've had one white spot on my front tooth for as long as I can remember and that one has become more noticeable as well. I found that if you brush your teeth twice a day with generic brand toothpaste, it will fade these spots.
|
Quick Reply