Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Teeth scaling after healing deep pockets ?

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I was told by my hygienist that I have several pockets of 4, 5 and 6 mm deep. They wanted to do an ultrasonic scaling of my teeth. I decided to do some extreme measures to clean up my gums. Let's assume I succeed and that my pockets have gone back to 3 mm or less. Do I still need the scaling? Why is this so if I've cleaned out the bacteria that's causing the problem? My hygienist says I still need to do the scaling even so.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 17th, 2009
scaling
i need to get my done too. what have you done to help them
|

replied June 21st, 2009
Your toothbrush and floss can only reach about 3mm under your gums. Your hygienist can scale deeper than that with some anesthesia and special scalers. Also, you can not remove tarter with a toothbrush/floss. If you have 4-6mm pockets it is very unlikely you can reverse them without some help from the pros!

After the initial deep cleaning she will prob recommend you come in every 3-4 months for maintainance appts until your pockets stay at a healthy 3mm level for a period of time and your homecare is as it should be.

fyi - I'm a dental hygienist.
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Pockets
Take the advice of your hygienist. If you don't you could end up with periodontal disease which is when you lose bone and could end up losing your teeth, It isn't reversible at this stage and you will find yourself having to spend forever looking after your teeth to keep your gums in a healthy state and keep your teeth. I have periodontal disease. I had a fear of dentists and never understood how serious perio disease was and is. Look after your teeth and ask lots of questions. I am an expert now, I wish I had been 10 years ago! Get your teeth scaled properly - my best advice.
|
Quick Reply