Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Teeth broken off - can't afford dental care (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I have major dental problems and no way to get the help i need. most of my teeth are broken off at gum line and rotted into the gums even further. i have not seen a dentist in 10 years cause that is when i moved out of my parents. the pain is unbelievable. I barely sleep, i starve myself cause eating is too painful. I have applied for every credit card to try and pay for the dental work, but its a no go. no family or friends to loan me money. and no dentist will even look at me cause im poor and cannot afford to pay anything....what do I do?....im not sure how much longer i can stand this...its also embarrassing...its been a very long time since i have smiled....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kaykayhaag
|

replied November 4th, 2010
I just had another moler break tonight while i was brushing my teeth.....they just fall apart. all my teeth are extremely brittle...
|

replied November 29th, 2010
Do you know if there is a dental school around your area? They sometimes do dental procedures for free for letting dental students do the work. I'm sure they are supervised very well. Also, have you checked to see if your local department of human services has any help to offer you? You can even check with community action services in your area. I work for one in Oklahoma and we have lots of resources on other agencies that can help. It's definitely worth a try.
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2011
First, it is obviously a bad situation you are in. You need to take drastic measures to heal your mouth. Diet and nutrition are essential, as well as avoiding bad lifestyle choices (like smoking, alcohol, drugs, poor sleep patterns, anger).

Most dentists are interested in making money and often have no idea about how to really heal teeth. Holistic dentists are more helpful but expensive.

Flouride is poison and will destroy your teeth and health. Search for yourself online. So no point in using that.

You need more calcium, as well as good nutrition and vitamins A, D, E, K. The best sources are things like butter, buttermilk, raw milk -- but only from grass-fed cows that were not injected with hormones and other chemicals. And it should not be pastuerised in any way, nor homogenised or heat treated.
Fermented cod liver oil is also very good, and a good brand I found is Blue Ice. Search online for it.
|

replied January 12th, 2011
Factor, It hurts it is because it is rotten up to your gum line you said meaning the root part of your tooth is exposed! It will really hurt! Remember when the root part of your tooth is exposed it will really hurt because pulp is there.I do understand how much it hurts. IF you go to the dentist they will try to cover that up with a composite filling. I think you had bone resportion. Good diet will help but will not cure now. taking calciums etc.. it wont push your teeth back into the socket so the root part will be covered so it wont hurt. I know what you wanted is a solution! I feel for you really! Im sure when you drink cold and hot liquids it hurts terribly too.. You're having periodontal problems so there is no other way but to visit a dentist and even dental students like kaykayhaag said will do. There is no natural remedy you can do, proper diet and stopping bad habits like smoking (if youre smoking) is good but definitely will not cure you.but it will not worsen the situation.. just sharing =p
|

replied October 18th, 2011
mouth hurting
mine are breaking off too i keep headaches i live in birmingham,al thing is the dental school is higher than some dentists i cant afford it i hate tooth aches thing is when ur poor ur a piece of crap no1 cares but for money wheres the compassion for the people that cant afford also our dental school goes by income im on disabilty and raising 3 kids its hard
|

replied January 18th, 2012
im in the same boat just with a few teeth though, as are many others i know. The only answer people here can give is go to the dentist. looks like most people cant read anymore. If a person such as ourselves has a problem like this and CANNOT afford a dentist CANNOT borrow the money, Do not have dental benefits, it makes it hard to listen to people tell you to go to the dentist and or a dental school. Most dentist are too money hungry therefore they will charge too much and not give you a payment plan. I found a temporary fix, its just for some relief while sleeping and to keep the sores from getting agitated but try chew some gum and cover the sharp areas of your tooth. As for the infection the doctors in the hospital will give you some medicine and say go to the dentist. Other than that good luck and hope things turn around. Must be nice to be able to afford to look after yourself hey lol
|

replied February 6th, 2012
If you are REALLY desperate...
Try getting on your local news. I know it may be embarassing, but sometimes the best way to get a problem fixed is to expose how money hungry dentists really are. Explain your situation and if nothing else maybe someone will offer to help you pay for some work to be done.
|

replied May 30th, 2012
Same boat
Where I live they have a place called CHAS (Community health association of Spokane), I lived here for 8 years before I found out about it. I have no health insurance, terrible teeth (actually one broke off at the gum line and I have to go in there for surgery) and the cost is 88 dollars. No I do not have 88 dollars however I go and in and I let them bill me... better than the alternative which is eventually abscese or blood infection. Almost every large city has some form of low cost/sliding fee medical and or dental place you just have to find it. Usually if you go to salvation army, community outreach or even a food bank usually has the list of resources to point you in the right direction.
|

replied June 27th, 2012
Orthodontist in Bangalore
A dental extraction (also referred to as exodontia) is the removal of a tooth from the mouth. Extractions are performed for a wide variety of reasons, including tooth decay that has destroyed enough tooth structure to render the tooth non-restorable. Extractions of impacted or problematic wisdom teeth are routinely performed, as are extractions of some permanent teeth to make space for orthodontic treatment.

|

replied July 29th, 2012
try Clove oil and advil...for temporary relief
|

replied October 15th, 2012
Using Antiseptic rinse regularly and brushing 2-3 times per day will help to prevent future toothaches, and relieve minor toothaches in the process.
or Plugging the affected tooth with gauze or wax can reduce it’s sensitivity to air or debris in your mouth. Again, not a cure, but it will help to reduce painful irritation.
|

replied November 6th, 2012
Tooth decay occurs when foods containing carbohydrates (sugars and starches), such as breads, cereals, milk, soda, fruits, cakes, or candy are left on the teeth. Bacteria that live in the mouth digest these foods, turning them into acids. The bacteria, acid, food debris, and saliva combine to form plaque, which clings to the teeth. The acids in plaque dissolve the enamel surface of the teeth, creating holes in the teeth called cavities.
|

replied February 25th, 2013
Free dental work
Some cities get with their dentists who'll perform free dental work once a year. Tyler, Texas just had their free clinic recently and saw hundreds of folks in need. Believe they start promoting it months ahead so people can register plus state their needs so they can be scheduled with dentists willing to do whatever procedure or just fillings, etc.
If you have any sort of credit line or need to start one, many dentists use a lending service that'll pay them and then collect monthly payments from you.
|

replied February 25th, 2013
Free dental work
Some cities get with their dentists who'll perform free dental work once a year. Tyler, Texas just had their free clinic recently and saw hundreds of folks in need. Believe they start promoting it months ahead so people can register plus state their needs so they can be scheduled with dentists willing to do whatever procedure or just fillings, etc.
If you have any sort of credit line or need to start one, many dentists use a lending service that'll pay them and then collect monthly payments from you.
|

replied March 25th, 2013
These folks need solutions not an education
I'm not normally a cynic, but in this case I'm compelled to sound off in an effort to state the obvious.

I'm sorry, but these folks don't need to be educated about the reasons their teeth are crumbling. They don't need lectures or advice an how to care for them. Simply put... its too late for that! THEY ARE GONE! LOL

When things get to the point where you loose pieces of your teeth every time you brush them, learning how cavities form or trying to diagnose the patient through a blog.... is quite literally the least of their concerns.

They need 3 things before they might be receptive to any of that.

1. Address the pain. What can be done IMMEDIATELY to relieve the pain for little to no money and/or something readily available in the common household. ( Kudos to those who did offer useful help with this)

2. Emergency Dental Care (Doctor) to eliminate the pain and address SERIOUS health concerns if there are any.

3. Do anything necessary to cosmetically cover at least the front area of teeth so things like just talking to someone doesn't send them running away with a look of disgust on their face, thinking you must be homeless.

Yes, I too am in the EXACT same boat.

Actually, A moment ago I had to pull one of my lower back teeth out by hand. Yep broke a the root exposing everything sensitive. Not the first time. Hurts like *@$#%, but it will go away in 3 days.

However, there is one thing that is worse than this pain. I am a professional Graphic Designer and creative . I'm freelancing at the moment so Internet chat at least lets me around my smile etc. But it's not enough so I'm on a hard core job hunt. To be honest, I am petrified when I even think about an interview. The white collar world will have SERIOUS trouble hiring and justifying 50K a year to a "homeless" person in a suit.

Equal Opportunity .... my swizzle stick!

No teeth = Homeless in corporate America. Granted I love it here and I did my time in Desert Storm for God and Country, so I'm not jaded, just realistic.

TO THOSE THAT NEED
IMMEDIATE RELIEF:::: THIS WILL HELP!

You'll need cue tips or cotton swabs (cue tips are easier to get the in the spot you need.) and a bottle of MAXIMUM STRENGTH Anbesol or similar with 20% Benzocaine - nothing less will work and I've found Anbesol is the only thing that works right away. It costs between 5 and 8 dollars which for many may still be much, but its more feasible than much much more at the moment. The bottle actually lasts for quite a long time and it should get you enough relief so you can sleep and so your head doesn't explode.

It might still hurt but it wont be unbearable.

If there are Dentists in PHOENIX that can possible help with my teeth, I would be willing to reciprocate with a Corporate Identity Development Package for your business, etc.

That means ground-up Logo & Branding carried forward to Cards letterhead ASI swagg etc as well as marketing media print and web. I can also throw in a high end video made specifically to fit your needs.

As far as the other folks on the board in my situation, I would be happy to offer my services for simple logo design or banner ad, etc as time permits to help get you dental attention if the Doc is willing to trade me for the work done on you.

Lets hope we can make something happen here.

TheDesignGuy
|

replied June 25th, 2013
Hello to all my fellow suffering dental problem friends. The Design Guy is correct, I am in the medical field a professional engineer. I can't afford a dentist went to one last week because I just couldn't stand the pain any longer. Cost me $125 to get a prescription for antibiotics. They said they can't save my 3 broken teeth and the other 3 molars that are infected and broken down past the gum line. Gave me an estimate for $1267 to remove them, it might as well be $12000 in my economic condition. This is terrible I avoid meetings, pictures, and dread having to talk to people. The dental industry has become a luxury and as The Design Guy stated, the corporate world looks at us as homeless or defective human beings. I see no way to get help. This is really affecting my whole life, between not being able to eat, the pain, the anxiety of when not if another tooth is going to break, and the embarrassment of not being able to open my mouth in front of anyone.
|

replied July 4th, 2013
Are you guys considering taking out dental loans through a payment plan option? I live in New York State and CareCredit is available here.

I have horrible teeth that nothing can really be done to save them. I inherited them from my mother. Shes had bridge surgery and all sorts of work done. Luckily for her she is a top executive at a huge corporation and has awesome health benefits. Me... well, im just a waiter and have lived out on my own since I was 18. Im 25 now. Between the bone loss and the decay, every year something has to be done to maintain my teeth. I just delay the inevitable by having many root canals and many fillings. I have experienced unbearable pain that was perpetual and made me want to honestly blow my brains out and commit suicide just to end it. I have been able to take out about $12,000 in dental loans through payment plan options that I pay off in $180 increments per month. It obviously sucks, but its well worth it to bite the bullet and have your bank account squeezed. You cant live with tooth pain. Its the worst.

I hope this helps, and to the people talking about how to prevent a cavity, please stop trolling.

Good luck.
|

replied July 5th, 2013
A pretty good fix for 20
I know this is going to sound crazy, but after the pain goes and your left with a hole in your smile, I have found a solution that works for me. It's called secure smile they sell it on amazon. I modify it since i only have want to cover the one spot where im missing the two teeth and i shape the tooth ( use an emery board only on the edge of the fake tooth) so its shaped like my other, and then use the thermal beads to fit it in my mouth so it stays in place. No one can tell I am missing two teeth up front. It costs about 20 bucks but its basically do it yourself dentures.
|

replied July 8th, 2013
I am in a very similar position as the original author of the thread. I am a graduate of school for a year now and my wife has recently graduated and has yet to find employment. We have had no luck with the local dental school as they're away for the summer & I am unsure of options on what to do. I am constantly using oral gel throughout the day & am on narcotic painkillers from two car accidents I've suffered this year & can honestly say I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone as even the narcotic painkillers are not working.
|

replied March 7th, 2014
Onamacare covers extractions and life threatening dental situations, get down to your DHHR and get what you need. They won't pay to replace your teeth but dentures are a few hundred dollars.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply