Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

teenage girl having reoccurring chest pains for months.

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
User Profile
I'm a teenage girl and for months I've been having reoccurring chest pains. They feel like a knife is twisting and cutting my chest. They hit me at the most random times, even when i'm just watching tv. They can go away for about three weeks or they can happen numerous times a day. They tend to concentrate mostly on the higher left hand side of my chest, but can travel to the middle of my chest too. They last from 10 to 30 seconds usually, but can last longer. When I get one of the pains I have to freeze and stop breathing until the pain has past, because it's excruciating if I breathe while these chest pains happen. My family has had a number of heart problem history, with my grandad needing a triple bypass and two of my aunts having irregular heartbeats, so I'm scared I have a problem too. In case this matters I can also see my stomach pulsing with my heart beat and I have never had any tests on my heart. Thanks:)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2012
Chest Pain Answer A33461
Welcome to e health forum.

The likelihood of heart related issues in your case at such a young age is very less likely.

Your symptoms are mostly due to severe anxiety, panic attacks, indigestion and or musculoskeletal issues.

Musculoskeletal inflammatory pain (eg Costochondritis) can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week.

In addition, trying to avoid eating high spicy , fat rich foods, which can precipitate your symptoms will be essential. A healthy diet with lots of vegetables, and fruits should prevent the pain associated with indigestion or gastritis.

You may consult your treating doctors who can examine you. A proper counseling and if needed a few tests can help diagnose the condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.