Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

Teen Boys More Conservative then Teen Girls (Page 1)

I initially found this information because I was trying to see how many teen fathers married the mothers of their children. You'll find this information first, followed by the entire report about the values of teen fathers. I was very impressed and amazed by what I read (not by the first data, but by the info about their values):

Eight of ten teen fathers do not marry
the mothers of their first children.
These absent fathers pay less than
$800 annually for child support, often
because they are quite poor themselves.
[url=Eight of ten teen fathers do not marry
because they are quite poor themselves.source

Reducing teen pregnancy is closely connected to the
goal of promoting responsible fatherhood. Research
shows that involved and committed fathers are important to
the well-being of their children. Unfortunately, children
born to teen parents are often denied a close connection
with their father because the relationship between their parents
frequently dissolves over time.
• Children who live apart from their fathers are five
times more likely to be poor than children with both
parents at home.1
• Boys and girls without involved fathers are twice as
likely to drop out of school, twice as likely to abuse
alcohol or drugs, twice as likely to end up in jail, and
two to three times more likely to need help for emotional
or behavioral problems.1,2
• Teen girls who don’t have a father in their life are two
times more likely to initiate sexual activity early and
are seven times more likely to get pregnant compared
to girls with fathers present.3
• Also, teen girls who have a higher quality relationship
with their fathers are less likely to initiate sexual activity
compared to those who report a lower quality relationship
with their fathers.4
• Teen boys who live with both parents initiate sex at an
older age compared to teen boys in other family situations.
• Over two decades of research confirms that parents –
both fathers and mothers – are an important influence
on whether their teenagers become pregnant or cause a
pregnancy.6
There is growing attention to the responsibilities of boys
and young men in preventing teen pregnancy. At last
count, 40 states had strategies to prevent unwanted or tooearly
fatherhood. This emphasis on primary prevention for
boys and men is a welcome trend. Still, too many young
men are not waiting until they are ready – emotionally and
financially – to become fathers:
• The good news is that sexual activity among teenage
boys is declining; in fact, less than half of all teen boys
report that they have ever had sex.7
• More teen boys are also using condoms when they have
sex, and almost one in four sexually active teen boys
report that they used dual methods the last time they
had sex (they used a condom and their partner used a
hormonal method).7
• When it comes to marriage, divorce, and non-marital
childbearing, teen boys tend to have slightly more traditional
attitudes compared to teen girls—only about
half of teen boys approve of non-marital childbearing
compared to almost two-thirds of girls; close to threequarters
of teen boys think that getting married is better
than staying single compared to about half of teen girls;
about 4 in 10 teen boys approve of divorce as an solution
to marriage problems while close to half of girls
agree.8,9
Teen Pregnancy and Responsible Fatherhood
Eight of ten teen fathers do not marry
because they are quite poor themselves.
• The best available data show that after increasing 32
percent between 1986 and 1991, the teen birth rate for
fathers aged 15 - 19 decreased 31 percent between
1991 and 2004.10,11
• Eight of ten teen fathers do not marry the mothers of
their first children.12
• These absent fathers pay less than $800 annually for
child support, often because they are quite poor themselves.
• Some research suggest that teen fathers have lower
education levels and suffer earning loses of 10-15 percent
annually.12,13
Clearly, there is more that could be done to send a strong
message to teen boys and young men that they should wait
to become a father until they are ready to have a lasting —
ideally married — relationship with the mother of their
children and are able meet their financial and emotional
responsibilities to their children. In addition, there is more
that could be done to build on efforts within the teen pregnancy
prevention field to reach out to boys and young men
through what are sometimes called “male involvement programs.”
It is also important to recognize and support the
important role that fathers can play in helping their own
sons and daughters avoid becoming teen parents.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2008
Supporter
I like this data. I've always thought that young men should be more educated about the responsibilities associated with the consequences of sex. It seems as though now, and in the past few decades, the onus was always on the mother.
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
What Is It Exactly?
The lack of a father's love in a girl's life that makes the girl so desperate that she will initiate and pressure the boy for sex? Most young boys (aside from the guys with their own problems of proving they can perform for their sport's buddies) from the ones I have known are pretty naive and innocent.

Why do young guys want to impregnant a young girl. Surely, the momentary satisfaction isn't much better than masterbation with a risk that will put them in jeoprady for a lifetime. That is if they stick around. The girl? Well, let's face it. She is going to be branded the school tramp and anybody can get to her; therefore, walking away even if this guy knows in his heart she was actually a virgin, is just walk away time.
|

replied March 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i think that your question can be answered like this,
girls look up to their fathers and theres a special bond between each, not a sexual bond but a loving bond that the daughter and father share. The daughter respects the fathers decision more than the mothers mainly because the father is the one who is more strict and the mother is the calm one. When there is no father theres no rules really even though the mother makes rules, they dont take her seriously very much. theres no father daughter bond or connection which can lead them to strive for a male companion to show them what they think and feel is love and acceptance.
|

replied March 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Krystine, even though that hurt my feelings to read (because I'm a mom), I think you are mostly correct.
|

replied March 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
sorry if it hurt your feelings..what part exactally did..them not respecting the mother?
its not that they dont respect them at all, its just that the father is more strict with the child and has a fun and loving relationship too, but the mother is more a calmer not so agressive strict parent, i mean think about it who does the child run to after getting in trouble with daddy? runs to mommy. the mother does discipline too but they immediately stop what ever they were told to stop when dad steps in where as with mom they would push her buttons a little more to see how many times she has to say stop.
but im sorry i hurt your feelings, wasnt intended
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
Very interesting. I think it's way overdue that we give boys as much responsibility here as we do girls.

I see this with my neice and my daughter; she is 7 years old and she is already starting to be boy crazy. Her mom and dad have been split up for about 4 years now and any time she is around a boy or a man she will act up and try to horse around with them. I feel so bad for her because she just wants that male attention that she gets from her dad. She also sees her mom with different men as she has dated and lived with different guys since they broke up. I'm so glad my daughter will have her daddy around to give her the love and attention she needs so she doesn't have to look for it elsewhere. I remember too, when I was a kid and my mom dated men, I hated it so much. It made me feel ashamed and just awful. I can't even really explain why, except that it was like bringing a strange new dad into the house. My mom was far from promiscuous and I'm not saying she didn't deserve to find companionship, but it still always made me feel awful when she would have a boyfriend. I don't think I could ever put my daughter through that.
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2008
It Is A Lot More Complicated Than That
Let's look at the hormones racing through these young people's bodies. The pressure to do well in school, to please their parents, to be accepted and liked by their peers.

Frankly, I think these kids don't give a hoot for the most part when they engage in these activities. Do they stop and consider what it will do to their own personal reputations and lives? Do they care at the moment the pain it will cause their parents? I don't believe they do. They are human beings, just like the rest of us. They get into the heavy petting and kissing thing and their bodies become in control, not their brains.

I do not agree that a father or a mother is the one here who is going to influence any young child to the point the child is going to say, "Oh, I see what you mean Dad, or Mom sure I am going to listen to you." I was once young and when you are in a situation of sexual stimulation, a lot of thought doesn't go into the cause and effect of your actions and the subsequent consequences.

We, who have children, do the best we can and for the most part our kids turn out great. They are not carbon copies of us, but individuals with their own dreams, their own lives and their will to live their own lives. Would we really want them to be little robots, parrots just giving us back what we want to hear? I am glad my children are have made it on their own in the lives they have chosen. I am thankful for all the good I have received from them and the good they do for others. yes
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
there have been therapists who see children from divorced families and have seen theres a big change in their behavior after a divorce.
children from families of divorce end up a little more rebelious than those of families who stay together.
parents play a big part on how they turn out. ya you said your children are individuals, great but you had some influence in what they do to turn out the way they are today, good caring people. if theres no influence they do whatever the hell they want! Children arent robots, but when a parent sets rules they are to follow them to start some structure in their lives. When their divorced you have mixed messages, 'mom can i have this cookie?' no eat your dinner first' 'but dad lets me when we have dinner together' observe a child from a divorced family, youd be surprised as to how they act.
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2008
It Is Time To Be The Parent Here
It is a true fact of life. Divorce. What you are describing is a child who has now taken control. The child is the manipulator. The child tells the parent what is going to happen here.

Let that happen, you get into deep trouble. Better have pretty high boots to walk through that ugly mess.

Going back to the post very intelligently put on by Futureshock, the consequences of Teen Boys More Conservative Than Teen Girls, I believe what we are talking about here is the data Deb brought up. She is an excellent researcher.

All I can state is my personal experience of growing up in the 50's. The few girls who became pregnant where literally throw out of school. Not the kind of person you want to have around the other students. Would just have destroyed their sensibilities and corrupted them. The boys? Nothing happened to them.

You can have parents who stay together and do a lousy job raising their kids. I have a lot of respect for Jinck's love and information given to her kids. She knows what is happening. That is the key.

These kids should be getting sexual information from their parents, their 6th grade teacher if you really have to wait to that point, or for goodness sakes maybe their grandparents if their parents are to squimish to do the job of informing them!!!!!!
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
parents dont think they need to have the sex talk at that age they think its later in high school. i got it when i was in gr 10 and it was a forbidden thing to talk about in my house. and they dont kno what they should say. they should..no need to be informed earlier cuz more and more children are having sex at an earlier age and going through puberty at an earlier age.
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2008
I know girls who get their period at 9
Well, that puts them in what? The 4th grade? Menistrate, little girls can get pregnant. What is wrong with somebody standing up for goodness sakes and letting these kids know about what can happen when boys and girls together can make a baby?

What is this idea of waiting until somebody is in 10th grade? It is far too late at that point. They are going to have sex at 15 if they feel like it. Or earlier.

Parents maybe feel uncomfortable giving the "birds and bees explanation" because they are going by their own feelings of wanting to run out of the room when their very own parents were stumbling around trying to find the means to explain it and somehow can't bring themselves to honestly open themselves up to their children.

One thing I will certainly say for my daughter, she taught her three children about sexual matters, STD's even when they were young. She wasn't afraid. She did a good job. Those kids did fine. Made their own choices.
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
but then you get those who think they kno everything, but dont know what to do when a situation occurs on if they could be pregnant. they dont even kno to take a test if theyve missed a period or go to the doctors to test. or have unprotected sex because, what the hell, who cares!
since alot of people here feel it should be talked about i dont think it will be avoided when the time comes to tell our children.
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I talk to my DD about sex and stuff and she's 10. She was on of the first among her friends to know where babies come from. I couldn't believe how some parents ignored the topic altogether!
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
thats just like my 2 younger sisters who love with my dad and step mom.
my step mom is really open with anything they want to kno and doesnt shy away from explaining a thing like where babies come from, my sister who is now 14 knew where babies came from and sex when she was like...8 or 9 and i was 15 when i got the talk from my mother.
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2008
KrystineM
I am just now realizing real pain from you in this post. Just got to let go of the lack of response when we somehow ask and don't get back the answer from the ones we love and who love us. All I can say is Krystine, everybody is walking a hard road. Nobody's life is easy. There is always a reason for everything.

Be well.

Bobbie
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
real pain?
what real pain..its a reply not pain.
how did that show real pain in what way shape or form did that show pain. i see no pain there. I already kno ppl go through different things in their life i dont need to be educated on that. this is a reply and other comments were opinions.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
krystineM wrote:
i think that your question can be answered like this,
girls look up to their fathers and theres a special bond between each, not a sexual bond but a loving bond that the daughter and father share. The daughter respects the fathers decision more than the mothers mainly because the father is the one who is more strict and the mother is the calm one. When there is no father theres no rules really even though the mother makes rules, they dont take her seriously very much. theres no father daughter bond or connection which can lead them to strive for a male companion to show them what they think and feel is love and acceptance.
I have to disagree with you here. No one I know respects their mother less than the father and not all fathers are the ones who lay down the law in a home. I know plenty of mothers who are more strict than the father and the father is the one they go crying to. Being a mother doesn't mean you receive less respect than a father.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It depended on the kind of trouble I was in lol. I go to each parent for different kinds of support. Although my Dad gets angrier and certain things, he's better at consoling me. My mom is a little looser, so say for instance when I confessed I'd smoked a cigarette, I confessed to her, not my Dad.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
because shes a more calmer parent right, thats what i meant, just came out wrong now that im reading it. i dont disagree that a mother can be more strict, but when they both live in the same house, it works better that way, in divorced situations its different one can handle things better, like discipline better than another one can.
|