Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

tearing pain near incision site

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
I had laprascopic bilateral inguinal hernia repair about 3 weeks ago. I have been having this pain that feels like tissue tearing (on the inside) on my left side around the left incision site. The part that most worries me is that since the first time I tried to sit up in the hospital after the surgery, I have been experiencing the same tearing pain. The pain occurs when I try to lift my left leg, laugh, or cough (really, anytime I use the muscles around the left incision site). The pain is so bad sometimes that I buckle over and drop to the floor. After the "tearing" has occurred, I remain in mild pain and have a tingling sensation. Everything else seems to be pretty much healed with no pain except for the above mentioned. The actual hernias seem to be doing great. I asked my surgeon about it and I was told my pain was normal. I would be more open to that conclusion if this pain was not exactly the same, with exactly the same intensity, as when I first had the surgery.
I am a healthy 26 year old female. no prior surgeries.

Does anybody have any answers for me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 27th, 2010
hi, i also woke up on the stretcher in the hallway from surgery with a horrible burning fire in my incision. no med helped, no ice worked, received a lot of heavy meds to controlthe pain which resulted in a chemical phlebitis of my IV arm lasting 2 months. asked the dr what was that awful burning pain night and day. enough to take your breath away or faint. he said they did a nerve sparing procedure. no one ever had mentioned that before surgery. eventually with too much motrin it has subsided but one area comes and goes. including lots of numbness elsewhere which might never come back. recently have experienced it after 3months due to lifting something not more than 10lbs. why? called dr twice no reply for over 48 hrs.if it is the same thing probably the nerves will regenerate within 3-6 months. sorry. hellokitty66
|

replied October 28th, 2010
I'm about 7 days into an inguinal repair. Don't worry, I doubt you're ripping anything, maybe it's some CO2 they used to bloat you (so they can work on you) Loosening up.
|

replied September 5th, 2013
Tearing Pain Associated with Hernia Repair
Chloe, I had a hernia repair with mesh in July of 2010. About 2 weeks after the surgery, I experienced the same tearing sensation you mentioned - I feel like the mesh is tearing off of the intestine. Sometimes it's so intense I double over and almost fall to the floor. I've talked to the doctor and his staff about it several times and have been told that it's nothing to worry about, but it is - pain isn't normal. It's a sign that something is wrong. It's now 3 years after the surgery and I'm still having the tearing sensation. I'm concerned I may have defective mesh that's part of a recall, and it may also be an intestinal adhesion where the walls of the intestines stick together or to the mesh and then tears away. It could cause serious problems. Please let me know if you've found out anything in the last few years since your surgery. I'm very interested.
|

replied January 2nd, 2014
Grifgirl i had an umbilical hernia repair in 2008 and ended with MRSA at my post op they had to go in and put mesh in because the MRSA was so bad they took out a hole big enough to set a coffee mug inside of me and you wouldn''t even see it. I was hospitalized for over a month and in isolation for 30 days. The hole never closed, i had horrible pain. In 2010 they went back inn and did a 4th debridement (3 while inn the hospital originally because was eating holes through me, the MRSA) Anyway at this point it finally closed. I had suffered horrible horrible pain since the day of my surgery and about 2 years ago ended up at the hospital probably averaging 2-3 tones a week. Them always telling me there is nothing wrong. I would get CT scan after CT scans week after week along with MRIs week after week. I must have had easily 15 plus MRI and CTs done in 4 month period and nuclear testing well. They found my gall bladder had quit working in this last July so they removed it. That was all they could find and i still continued going to the doctor and the ER regularly because i was in such HORRIFIC pain. They would say everything shows to be ok. I would leave in tears and i finally told them on one of my last visits that everything is not on whole crying my eyes out. Mind you they also did an exploratory laparoscopy in October 2012and found nothing. Well this October i told my surgeon in tears this pain is not normal and there is no way i can live every day the rest of my life like this in this kind of pain. So they took me into surgery and completely opened me back up and found that the mesh had curled.up into a ball and the edges hard calcified and hardened up and was trearg into other organs so they removed the mesh and repaired there hernia without mesh. It worked and the plain was gone, but they told me that if it comes back they will have to do an absolute last resort surgery where they will cut me from top to bottom and then across both top and bottom like a capital "I". Well 2 weeks after my surgery the day after ig got my stitches out i got into a bicycle accident and the handlebars went straight into my tummy. They said it was ok at the hospital then. Well right now i am doing to have to go to the er and get it checked because i call feel it is back and biggerthan ever. The pain is so bad and i feel like my tummy is ripping completely apart. With the holidays i haven''t been able to see many doctor and he won''t be in till next week and i can''t go that long it is so bad. So i may behaving to get that last resort surgery and they said After that there is no more they can do for it because our is such a complicated surgery where they have to cut all my muscles on the sides to release it enough to close or up. If your having the pain i know you are insist they look at the mesh for what happened to mine with out curling into a ball and Harding around the edges. I will give an update when i find out what they are going to do this time. Good luck
with it
|