Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Tuberculosis Forum

TB positive, chest x-ray negative (Page 1)

Hello,

I was diagnosed with TB positive eight years ago
but my chest x-ray result was negative.

But I have never taken the medication to treat TB positive.

It is necessary to get treated for TB positive by taking
Isoniazid?

I've read the side effects for Isoniazid and it said that
I could get Hepatitis from it.. How often does this happen?
Is it worth the risk to treat latent TB?

Sara
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper biys75
|

replied February 16th, 2009
Maybe...
The one thing I learned so far in nursing school is that people who test positive for TB often have AIDS. Ever get tested for that?
|

replied June 4th, 2011
BOOO
God help your patients if you become a nurse, your answer sounded very incompetent there, plz reconsider becoming a nurse

Love

Someone that hope all nurses arent like you
|

replied December 19th, 2011
Wow. "often have AIDS" is used as truth here. "A slightly higher chance of also having AIDS" would be closer to accurate. Be careful in your statements, student. This from an RN who's done it for 19 years. Scary.
|

replied January 15th, 2012
maybe you just want to say ppd.. skin test.. just like having 5mm is commonly in AIDS issue..
actually most of the filipino will get the positive in ppd.. because they are exposed in mycobacterium..
just like a doctor i knw, he always got positive skin test 10mm.. but he's healthy and normal xray..
|

replied August 22nd, 2012
Nursing student here ready to graduate! my ppd is always positive because i had the vaccine when i was young it doesnt mean i may have aids. people who test positive for TB dont often have AIDS.... i think what you MEANt to say is that people who have AIDS may test positive for TB because they are immunocompromised! its two totally different things!
|

replied November 25th, 2012
Nursing student here, 2nd semester: Correction on the statement above "people who have AIDS may test positive for TB because they are immunocompromised". Actually, immunocompromised-patients are far more likely to receive a false-negative result to PPD/blood tests due to decreased immune response.

I think what you mean to say is that patients with AIDS, due to immunosuppression, are FAR more likely to develop TB Disease than someone with TB infection, but an otherwise functioning immune system.
|

replied March 25th, 2009
I need to get chest X-ray for TB where I get the cheap clinic
sara
|

replied July 21st, 2012
contact the sabion clinic on Beverly blvd. and Orlando st. monday through friday at 8:00 am. prepare to stay a while though but they are very good at what they do. they can send you to Wilton and Melrose clinic for a chest x-ray if it's warrented. Check them out. Ask about Healthy Way, L.A. too!
|

replied April 20th, 2009
Herofslytherin, you are waaaay of. Either you aren't paying attention in nursing school or you have lousy teachers. You are confusing your facts. Aids patients commonly get TB as a secondary infection, but that is COMPLETELY different than what you are stating. After you are in the healthcare field for several years, you will likely test positive for TB yourself, either from exposure or from taking the TB Mantoux test repeatedly (your immune system will recognize the pathogen from repeated exposure to the small amounts received each time the test is given to you). For original poster: You need to take the drug only if you have active TB or have latent TB, which would show up in an xray. If your xray was negative, that would mean that no enclosed tubercules were observed. Go to your local health department and they can give you a more detailed explanation and put your mind at ease.
|

replied September 25th, 2012
AnaRN7509. If you are going to correct someone; then, make sure your comment is accurate. Repeated injections of the purified protein derivative will not cause a positive ppd screen, unless you have been exposed to tb.
JettRN
|

replied November 25th, 2012
Actually, the truth is halfway between the two statements. Repeated exposure to the antigen concoction can cause false-positive results on future PPD tests, but it's not common.
|

replied April 29th, 2009
positive ppd
my son who works in a doctors office was tested positive on his ppd skin test, but the chest xray showed "no active disease". If he had latent tb would that show up on the chest xray. The xray showed "no active disease" does he need to have treatment, or is that consider negative. AnaRn7509 above mentioned that latent TB would show up on the xray.
|

replied May 12th, 2009
CHEST XRAY
I am from mexico in mexico i had the tb vaccine, then i had a tb test of course i was positive i had an xray came negative still they gave me the medicine, how often a chest xray is required?
|

you have latent TB which means that you are more susceptible to get TB, however the medication comes with side effects...... i think as long as you keep healthy and strong you do not need to take the medication..... many people where vaccinated (including myself) as children it doesnt mean that all of us will get the treatment.... you have to weight the benefits/side effects if you are immunocompromised definitely take the meds but if otherwise a healthy individual no need to.....
some states want you to take the meds.... for example in Florida for nursing school they suggested to take the meds but in PA my physician didnt even mention the treatment.
hope this helps
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Latent TB does not show up on a Chest xray, only active disease does. If you have had a positive tb skin test and a negative x-ray then you do have latent TB. This means you may or may not develop TB later in life. It's advised to take the medicine to ward off the chances that you may develop it later in life at some time when you become immunocompromised (via diabetes, HIV, old age, other severely stressful events). Once you've taken the meds, the only way to make sure you don't develop active TB is to have x-rays. They are ordered at different intervals for different people, healthcare workers is annually/semiannually, others can go 5-10 years as long as they are healthy and are not around sick people.
|
Users who thank drintraining for this post: oljey  oljey 

replied August 10th, 2009
Latent TB infection
drintraining is correct. A positive skin test and a negative chest xray means that you have latent TB infection. It is recommended that you treat the latent infection with 6 to 9 months of isoniazid. Your liver enzymes will be checked prior to starting treatment to make sure that you have no liver problems. Then they will be rechecked periodically throughout the treatment duration.
|

replied August 18th, 2009
I tested positive many yrs ago on the ppd. I was put on INH (isoniazid) but I was allergic to it so I didn't complete my 6 - 9 months of it. My chest x-rays have always been negative but I am concerned about all these x-rays. I heard the Chinese might have something to help with tb.
|

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2009
Fresa,
My doctor told me today that chest x-rays are only good for a year, so you probably need to do them yearly.
|

replied September 1st, 2010
i need help on understanding
i just got a tb test in my school and i called in my local health center and they told me i have to test x-ray then my result came CHEST X-RAY NEGATIVE FOR TUBERCULOSIS,,,, i have no idea what is that mean or what should i do ????? i need help Sad
|

relax at some point you were exposed to TB that is why your ppd was positive. Your ppd will always be positive, however a negative xray is GOOD it means that there is no signs of TB present. if you work in the health care field/ with children/ elderly do a chest xray every 1-2 years just to make sure your latent tb is not active
|

replied September 14th, 2010
Experienced User
Junior year of highschool I had a negative TB test. Senior year of highschool my test was positive but my x-ray was clear. I have had other TB tests since then and they are always positive with clear chest x-rays. I haven't been tested for awhile but I am sure it would just be positive again. I was given meds for prevention for 6 months when I was 17 but my tests still come up positive just with a clear x-ray. Dr said I have latent TB from being exposed at some point probably Junior year or that summer after (I worked with special needs kids). So the Dr just asks if I have been coughing a lot when I go for appts to determine if I should have another x-ray. Of course I worry about radiation exposure since I have had multiple x-rays already so I ask that they not be done unless necessary but I can't work daycare without them which sucks.
|

replied October 11th, 2010
check again with your employer I work at a daycare center and they do not require a chest x-ray for employees who test positve, only a note from my doctor staing that I am symptom free for active TB.
|

replied February 15th, 2011
Latent TB = No symptoms, negative chest x-ray, positive PPD. Active TB = Pos/Neg symptoms (depends on the individual), positive x-ray, positive PPD. If you have a positive PPD, you should have an x-ray to determine if you have active TB. This is important simply because active TB is spreadable to others and is deadly without treatment. It is estimated that 5-10% of people with latent TB will have progression of the disease, becoming active TB. This is why a person with latent TB should have yearly chest x-rays to determine if there is progression. In regards to taking medication for latent TB, that has become a controversial topic. Here in the U.S. most doctors, including the CDC, will recommend prophylactic treatment for 6 to 9 months with INH. However, INH can be extremely toxic to the liver and individuals have been known to die from such complications. In other countries, the U.K. for example, individuals over 35 years of age are generally not recommended prophylactic treatment because the health risks of taking INH outweigh the benefits. Whether or not INH will become toxic to you, simply depends on each individual, this is why liver enzyme tests are required before and during treatment in order to monitor the liver. Treating latent TB with INH is supposed to destroy the TB and prevent the bacteria from becoming active. There are a few problems with this; first, there are currently no common tests to determine if the TB bacteria have all been killed (removed) after INH treatment. Second, you can always become exposed to TB again from someone else and be in the same situation again with latent TB. Third, if re-exposed again to latent TB, you most likely won't know it because you still have antibodies in your blood from the first TB exposure. So, any future PPD test will be positive regardless. Right now many people, including myself, have latent TB and are not using INH because we feel not treating outweigh the risks of treatment. However, if you choose not to take INH, one must stay proactive in preventing exposure to others, by maintaining yearly chest x-rays and seeking medical attention if you experience any positive symptoms of active TB.
|

replied March 10th, 2011
I'm suspected to have TB as my chest x-rays & CT scans shows & suggests that it's TB. However, I do not have any symptoms of TB except for coughing about a month. I do not cough out blood, do not have night sweats, did not lost weight and etc.

I did Mantoux test and it's negative. Sputum test also negative but I'm started on TB treatment for 6 months. I've just started for about a week and I'm still confused if I really have TB.

Anyone out there faced the same situation as me? Would love to hear from you!
|

replied January 19th, 2012
just like mine when i was applying for a job,, radiologist saw a small spot on my x ray,, so they suspected me as TB then..they refer me to our center..the sputum was negative..but my failure is i did not buy any medicine.. after a few weeks i strted coughing.. last time i spit a blood,, i got to my doctor she/he gave me isoniazid..ive been carrying this for a year Sad bcoz i dont have money.. with GOD's Help government give me treatment take 3 times a day.. its been 3 mnths now since i started taking treatment..

for you: If the X ray shows up that u had a positive TB,, u need to go to you private doctor so that u would know you health as well.. just continue the treatment after six months.. after that u go follw up x ray..
|

replied April 10th, 2014
true..same here.. I was diagnosed that I have active tb..i dont have fever and cough..skin test negative and sputum negative also.I lost my appetite and weight loss..I asked doctor about it then I started to take treatment.

Im planning after two months I will go to the doctor for check up..until Im done for my 6 months treatment.
|

replied March 14th, 2011
TB positive skin test no symptoms except one thing????
I am a surgical technician.I was tested in Feb. 2010 for school and results were neg. I have worked at a surgical center for about a year and in the process of getting a second job at another surgery center I showed pos. on the PPD skin test.The only thing I feel as far as symptoms is my glands in my neck have been swelling up on and off for about 8-9 months. Its been treated by taking bactrim but it always seems to return?? I am awaiting my chest x-ray results as I write this. just waiting on the doc to call.I hope they glands and pos.PPD are separate issues???Anyone who wants to reply please do so and I thanks you. DST
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
I have a concern, last 2000 i had my chest xray and it has a positive results but i am negative in sputum and did not undergo ppd test I undergone a treatment for 1 year, everymonth i had my xrays the results always indicate that there is no more progression of ptb. after a year the doctor said to stop my medication. Eversince i dont have any symptoms for tb. last year i had again my xray for the company requirement, again it shows a positive results, i dint not undergo any treatment coz i was not advised to do so. this year the same xray results was obtained. But again i dont have any symptoms for tb. What does it means? do i have a latent tb or what?
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
I have a concern, last 2000 i had my chest xray and it has a positive results but i am negative in sputum and did not undergo ppd test I undergone a treatment for 1 year, everymonth i had my xrays the results always indicate that there is no more progression of ptb. after a year the doctor said to stop my medication. Eversince i dont have any symptoms for tb. last year i had again my xray for the company requirement, again it shows a positive results, i dint not undergo any treatment coz i was not advised to do so. this year the same xray results was obtained. But again i dont have any symptoms for tb. What does it means? do i have a latent tb or what?
|

replied May 5th, 2011
TB
I have to get a tb test and have been told I will test positive for the simple fact I have taken riboflavin is this true? I was on the meds almost 2 yrs ago for a staph infection ( I am alergic to many things) the riboflavin was our best choice. Any way is this true am trying to look it up with no luck.
|

replied January 20th, 2012
Riboflavin is a B-vitamin and will not cure a staph infection. Perhaps you were meaning to say another antibiotic with a similar name? At any rate, taking B-vitamins such as riboflavin will not cause a TB skin test to be positive.
|

replied May 18th, 2011
montoux test redness is appearing little away from the injected point? What does it means.
|

replied May 29th, 2013
The reaction is read by measuring the diameter of induration (palpable raised, hardened area) across the forearm (perpendicular to the long axis) in millimeters. If there is no induration, the result should be recorded as "0 mm". Erythema (redness) should not be measured.
Reading will be taken after 48 to 72 hours. 15 mm or more is positive in persons with known risk factors for TB.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply