Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Tampon in vagina for weeks (Page 1)

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Ok so I am super selfcounsice about the vaginal area making sure its clean an all. Well at some point on the end of my preious period I apperantly forgot to make sure I didnt have a tampon in well here it is almost 3 weeks later and while in the bath tub I realized that there was something down there. My tampon!!! Im super freaked out I havent had any abnormal discharge or foul odors. My husband an I have a very active sex life and even he did not notice that there was something in there. Has this ever happened to anyone else and if so should I explain my super embarassing story to a doctor? Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jen1988
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2008
Supporter
you mean to tell me you 2 had sex and he didn't feel it?
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
If you do not feel any pain, burning, or itching and you do not have abnormal discharge I see no need to bring it up to your doctor. Be careful next time though; leaving those things in can cause some pretty nasty infections!
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2008
Experienced User
To love_pinkish
yeah this goes to love_pinkish. i dont know why the heck im in this forum. but. it makes sense he couldnt feel it if it was pushed off to the side. it's a very strange inside there as you should know. all sorts of curves and alternative routes o.O

but being a guy, i honestly think that i wouldnt notice either because other than the tip its a very numb part of the male body. and if the tips way deep inside and the tampon is not, it would very easily go unnoticed... sorry, i'll leave the forum now. heh
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2008
Supporter
it's just very werid for me. I know it happens but geez....hey we would love to have you here! don't leave us! lol
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2008
Experienced User
okay...
maybe ill stay around... but only for a little bit Wink
|

replied May 10th, 2008
i've done it before, once it's out, you're perfectly fine. unless of course you develop a rash or infection which it seems you haven't.
|

replied August 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
You didnt notice it inside of you? Thats a little off. Anyway, you should see a doctor because you can get infected by leaving it in too long. Tampons produce bacteria and that can get deep into the vagina. Not to mention you are lucky you did not get TSS. Although it is rare, TSS is linked to leaving the tampon in for too long. Hope that helps.
|

replied August 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
Cant see how anyone could not realise it was there especially if ur washing urself etc or having sex. U can get a lot from leaving one inside. u may have something like Thrush internaly, but u may not even get itching as this can happen when the bactiria becomes upset inside but not externaly and you may not even get discharge with it.
|

replied August 11th, 2009
So what happens if it is itching and burning? and painfull..
|

replied February 16th, 2010
Kind of the same issue.. I need some advice
Someone help me! I'm scared!! 1 week ago I finished my period and inserted my Nuva Ring while I still had a tampon inside my vagina. (but the string had gone inside and I didn't know it was still in there- I guess I pushed the tampon further up with the Ring) anyway the next day I noticed a really bad smell and I thought it was the Nuva Ring so I gave it a couple days to see if the smell would go away and when it didn't- I switched the ring, but the smell was still there. After further investigation (6 days after my period was finished) I discovered the old tampon. It had been in there 6 DAYS!! what do I do???

My boyfriend and I have had sex almost 10 times in the last 6 days and he never felt the tampon in there... although he did notice the smell. LOL. gross right?

Anyway, I should definitely go to the doctor right?
|

Especially eHealthy
PetaGirl4Life,

This happens more often than you would think. If you are not the doctor's first patient, he/she has probably seen it before.

If the tampon is out now, you should be fine. Monitor yourself for a yeast infection.

If the tampon is not out, you will have to remove it yourself or go to your doctor. Use some personal lubricant on your fingers to slip your finger in between the vaginal walls and the tampon and hook it out with your finger. Unfortunately it will be tightly jammed in there and pretty hard from the old semen after having sex with it in.

Your boyfriend probably thought you got extra tight and you thought he grew a few inches Smile

Take care.
|

argh
eeewwwwwwwwtf is this and why do i now have eye pains after reading this and why did i read it, is it possible to un-read it?
|

replied May 21st, 2010
This is actually more common among women than you think. My response is a basic one. If you have a tampon remaining longer than 1 day, you should call your doctor, and get clearence from your doctor. This goes for if you removed it yourself, or need a doctor to remove it...the whole purpose of contacting your doctor is to make sure you have not developed an infection via blood.
you do not have to have symptoms to have an infection, and the tampon does not need to be in for very long to develop an infection, especially if you have underlying conditions that you may not even be aware of, like a yeast infection, which is an overgrowth of normal flora, and when this happens, you may or may not get the itchies/scratchies, and may or may not get a discharge that looks like cottage cheese in the walls of the vagina, you may or may not have an odor(not a disgusting one, but one that's not normal for you). Yeast infections have a wide range, from a mild form (where only a doctor would notice, if you are having an pelvic exam), or moderate to severe, and or chronic types, which are more noticable to the woman, and may need to be treated with antibiotics.
More importantly you could develop a bacterial infection, which is completely different from having a yeast infection. Bacterial infections are just that, an overgrowth of bacteria, but instead of yeast its caused from other things, or you could have vaginitis, which is inflamation of the vagina. Most of the time women walk around with these conditions and not even know they have them, because they don't know what to look for, and or don't always have the classic signs, and like most women, are misinformed when it comes to their bodies, or are too embarrassed to discuss issues like this.
Another thing.....the vagina does have a natural odor, it is not odorless, like some want to believe, it bleeds monthly, it secretes normal and abnormal discharge, it secretes natural lubrication, it secretes female ejaculate, and receives the penis....it has an odor, believe me,....it's supposed to, its not an odorless organ...we don't have any odorless organs in or on our bodies.

Anyway, the only sure way you can make sure your ok is to check in with your doctor. Your doctor can address other concerns you may have, especially if you think the tampon remained for a day, and you find it was there for 3 to 4 days, or wks.
Think old blood, and how it is broken down.....old blood has an odor, period., so you have old blood, and a foreign object inside the vagina for days, or wks at a time, and you think you should take it out yourself?

Even if you do, you should still get cleared, and at least speak with your provider so he/she knows what has happened, and will make the decision on whether or not to put you on antibiotics for a few days.

You also need to confirm that the tampon was removed in tact, and no bits and pieces were remaining.

This is just some basic advice, and its not a big deal only if you ignore it.
We remove tampons all the time, and our patients happen to be medical students, nursing students, graduate students, and fellows/residents, and their spouses....you'd be surprised of how many times this has happened.
|

replied March 29th, 2011
I cannot believe that for three weeks I had a tampon stuck in me. I just came from the doctor and the nurse wanted to do a swab to find out why I was getting brown stuff coming from my vagina. It was stinky and I didn't know what was wrong with me.

I had cleared all my sexual health tests and thought that I had some other scary major terminal disease and was quite concerned and never realised that I could have a stuck tampon inside.

I also had minor feelings of irritation in my moods, headaches and feeling nausea after eating but never got round to throwing up at all. I felt really quizy without knowing that if left for longer it might have materialised into a more serious situation.

I never thought that this would happen as I have been using tampons for like a whole twelve years or so. I actually only noticed when a horrible odour came through during sex with my partner. It was so disgusting and embarrassing but he encourage me to see the doctor and stuck by me through the whole process.

I get easily embarrassed and will make sure that I remember whether I have removed a tampon. Try and keep a tab on when you added and whether you removed the old tampon before inserting a new one.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
To Whom it May Concern:

I just started my period a couple of days ago and every time I took a tampon out the smell was extremely foul. (I know this is gross) However, I am writing this to hopefully help and inform someone who has had this happen to them.
Anyway, the month prior I was experiencing an abnormal smell and every now and then when I would wipe a little brown would come out. I considered going to the doctor, but just decided to eat a lot of yogurt, maybe it was a yeast infection.
I was also experiencing nausea and headaches throughout this month semi frequently. Also, when I went to have intercourse it hurt.
Today, I took out a tampon and the smell was so foul I knew something was wrong. So I called my mother. She said "this is gross but put your finger up yourself and feel around for an old tampon". I though to myself it couldn't be, I would know.
Wouldn't you know a foul old tampon was inside of me. Disgusting, especially since I am extremely clean and self-conscious person. I was horrified.
However, the most important thing is to be aware of what could of happen.
T.S.S., blood poison, bacterial infection, etcetera. My GYNO nurse said to come see her tomorrow. She said if i experience any severe abnormal cramping go to the E.R.
That's my story.
Kind of scary. This is very serious. Take care of yourselves. Never second guess your intuition. It's your body, your life.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
To Whom it May Concern:

I just started my period a couple of days ago and every time I took a tampon out the smell was extremely foul. (I know this is gross) However, I am writing this to hopefully help and inform someone who has had this happen to them.
Anyway, the month prior I was experiencing an abnormal smell and every now and then when I would wipe a little brown would come out. I considered going to the doctor, but just decided to eat a lot of yogurt, maybe it was a yeast infection.
I was also experiencing nausea and headaches throughout this month semi frequently. Also, when I went to have intercourse it hurt.
Today, I took out a tampon and the smell was so foul I knew something was wrong. So I called my mother. She said "this is gross but put your finger up yourself and feel around for an old tampon". I though to myself it couldn't be, I would know.
Wouldn't you know a foul old tampon was inside of me. Disgusting, especially since I am extremely clean and self-conscious person. I was horrified.
However, the most important thing is to be aware of what could of happen.
T.S.S., blood poison, bacterial infection, etcetera. My GYNO nurse said to come see her tomorrow. She said if i experience any severe abnormal cramping go to the E.R.
That's my story.
Kind of scary. This is very serious. Take care of yourselves. Never second guess your intuition. It's your body, your life.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
Also, if you get nervous and can't get it out this is how my mom helped me.

Sit or hover on the toilet and push like you are going to do a #2, it will come close enough to your grasp.

Gross but if you have to do it!
|

replied November 29th, 2011
Same here, same here
Same exact thing happened to me. It's been in there for probably I'd say a month and just found it today after my mother told me that the smell and the brown discharge could be caused from an old tampon. Thank god she said that, or it would be in there for awhile longer unnoticed. I've gone through a period with it in there, adding and removing more tampons, and had sex probably 3 or 4 times since it's been in there. I almost threw up from the smell when it came out.

Also, about a month ago around the time I suspected I might have left a tampon up there, was when I started feeling nauseous. I even threw up two, or three times with no reason being. All because of this. I'm going to the doctor ASAP, I wonder if they'll take me as a sick checkup rather than the well-visit I already have scheduled for 2 weeks from now.
|

replied November 30th, 2011
Thank you so much!!! I have been very nervous thinking I had cervical cancer!! It was very gross!! But this helped me so much!!!! Smile I have been so insecure!! Thank you:)
|

replied November 30th, 2011
Thank you so much!!! I have been very nervous thinking I had cervical cancer!! It was very gross!! But this helped me so much!!!! Smile I have been so insecure!! Thank you:)
|
12 >>