Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Talking during seizure

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
About a year ago I noticed my wife acting strange and it caught my eye. I have noticed over this year time she has seizure where she will stiffen her arms and legs During this time she talks and makes no since in what she is saying. Over this year she has not gotten worse and has not gotten better. Most of the timg she will grab somethign in front of her and hold it and shake while she says things that makes no since. She was taking dilantin and it was not doing any good. She complain of a head ache all the time. Her seizures only last mabe 1 min and she goes at times where she does not have one for a week or so then out of the blue has one. The other moring is what really woke me up when she was cooking breakfast and had a seizure and spilled hot greese on her self and now had really bad burns and was air lifted to a burn center. She has been taking Zoloft and I have told her to stop due to I seen several post and things where it can cause seizures. And her seizures most of the time comes right after waking up and once it happens she goes the rest of the day and night. My question is has any one seen any of this in others having seizures if so please let me know...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2008
Supporter
Seizures are symptoms of a brain problem. They happen because of sudden, abnormal electrical activity in the brain.Seizures fall into two main groups. Focal seizures, also called partial seizures, happen in just one part of the brain. Generalized seizures are a result of abnormal activity on both sides of the brain. Most seizures last from 30 seconds to 2 minutes and do not cause lasting harm. However, it is a medical emergency if seizures last longer than 5 minutes or if a person has many seizures and does not wake up between them.

Do you know the cause for your wife's seizures? Has she been diagnosed?
|

replied November 12th, 2008
We dont Know at thus time. As of right now we still need to have a EEG done but hard to get done because of no medical INS. She is on disability because of them but her medicare does not kick in till May or June of next year. We did have a CT and MRI done last year and it showed nothing in either one the MRI showed scattered white matter and showed near normal I really dont know what that means. Thank you for your reply. what was consering me the most was the making no since and talking off the wall when having the seizure...
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2008
Experienced User
I hear you. Seizures are generally frightening to witness. I'd suggest that you look into a sliding scale medical clinic in your area or ask your social services department about health resources in your area. Don't wait for something this serious! Get medical help ASAP.
|

replied January 27th, 2009
TexasCop, I totally know what you are going through. My mother has the same type of seizures. She will get very stiff and stare off into space but yet if you ask her a question she can still respond. She sometimes clenches her jaws or bites her tongue or cheek. After her seizures she doesnt remember what happened. It is really scary. How is your wife doing on her seizure meds? My mother does not do well on them. They have caused her to sleep her life away. She also stutters at times, gets confused easily, and stays weak.., does your wife have any of these problems?
|

replied November 28th, 2009
I experience seizures similar to that, yet I have not been diagnosed yet. Yesterday during a seizure I called my brother and told him i was being hurt by someone. I didn't think that talking during a seizure was possible but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been doing my own research on seizures and the only one that sounds anything like what I am going through is Complex Partial Seizures, maybe that will help you. thanks a lot
|

replied January 6th, 2010
Other People Do Experience This
I saw a Thai man on the ground shaking and saying something in Thai. I told my Thai girlfriend it was probably an epileptic seizure, but she said that if it was a seizure, he wouldn't be talking. Rather than stand there conversing about it, I grabbed my video camera. But from the third floor of my apartment at night, the quality of the video was poor. I am only writing to say that other people do experience this.
|

replied September 10th, 2010
Last night my daughter didnt stiffen up but started shaking real bad and her eyes dilated where you couldnt even see the blue. Said that she felt real weird and continued to talk to me. Her doctor called in a med. and she took and knocked her out but this am she has pain in her muscles, back & legs. Has anybody had this happen?
|

replied September 29th, 2010
Is what I'm feeling a seizure?
I have epilepsy due to the scar tissue left from a major brain surgery I had almost 20 years ago. The seizures I have (that I am aware of) cause my back and shoulders to stiffen, I stare straight ahead, I'm confused, tired, I have a hard time concentrating and they last about 1 min. They come in clusters. (several in a week.) Then I don't get one for about a month. I am not sure if I have seizures at other times. (Like during sleep)
|

replied January 10th, 2013
i have had talking seizures and was diagnosed
it took three years for them to diagnose me with complex partials... im considered allergic to Dilantin because it only made matters worst
|

replied June 2nd, 2013
stiff seizure
I have seizures were my whole body stiffens and some time I go into a back arch. I can talk to my sister after my body relaxes. after the seizure some times I cant talk but make noise's. I am awake during the whole thing and only remember the pain. my doctor says it is a suedoe seizure or stress seizure, and majority of my seizures are at night.
|