Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

tachycardiac -should I have called a code?

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
i have a patient who was in a motor vehicle accident.Her vital signs are normal except for the pulse rate which is 164. Patient was alert to name and care but is not a good historian. Oxygen sat is 93-94% in 1 Liter nasal prong. Patient complain of pain on the fractured ribs but not chest pain. She also complain of dizziness, when physio therapy got her sitting on the bed. She later complain of feeling nauseated but she was previously complaining of the same before. Writer came and check the patient again and her pulse is still high. Writer called the doctor in charge of the patient and relayed the information. The doctor ordered IV medication for nausea and he ordered an EKG STAT. The question is should I have called a code because of the high pulse ? Did I fail to exercise what is expected of me as a nurse?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2012
We don't know the patient's age, the extent of the injuries, the details about the motor vehicle accident, patient's pertinent past history, etc. Nevertheless,
the story is disturbing because of the persistent rapid heart rate. The electrocardiogram is indicated, but it must be interpreted. I don't know if a code should be called because of the rapid heart rate, but certainly a proper diagnosis is indicated and particularly so because the patient has been in a motor vehicle accident. One can imagine such things as cardiac effusion, persistent hidden hemorrhage, etc.
I would agree that the circumstances call for proper attention and a diagnosis of what is going on. One should consider life-threatening events, and I commend you for your proper concern.
Please be aware that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.