Medical Questions > Mens Health > Testicles Forum

synthetic testosterone (Androgel) (Page 1)

Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...
I have lost both my testicals due to cancer....
I am on a synthetic testosterone (Androgel), that I have to rub on my body everyday....it is quite expensive.....What are some other options I have that might be cheaper????
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper harris0n
|

replied July 31st, 2008
Androgel too Expensive
You are correct Androgel is way too expensive.

Google "compounding pharmacy" in your city. If you dr. will write a script for a compounded medicine (most dr. will), you can take that script to the compounding pharmacy and get them to make you a better product that Androgel for a lot less $$$$$.

For example, Androgel cost me $230.00 per month. So after 2 months, i said forget it and started looking for alternatives. Now I can purchase a 3 month supply of compounded testosterone cream (same testosterone as the Androgel) for $115.00 (i.e. less than $40 per month). So for 3 months of Androgel I would have paid $690.00 and now I only pay $115.00 for 3 months.

Also, most pharmacists believe the non-petroleum cream is a better delivery system than the gel used in Androgel.

Good luck
|
Users who thank harris0n for this post: azcooler  Dar77  patalex2 

replied March 10th, 2013
Thank you for this helpful post for men and women's health and quality of life. My husband, age 73, also gets his bio-identical testosterone at a Compounding Pharmacy, for the same low price you found. His comes as a white cream in a mini-pump bottle,just like the DHEA he also applies topically. No chemicals, no pills. No overblown price.
|

replied July 31st, 2008
Thanks so vey much HarrisOn
HarrisOn:
Thank you so very much for the info...I will research your info and possible give it a try..
The differance in money is alott....I really hope it works for me.
I can't thank you enough.
|

replied July 31st, 2008
Good luck
Good luck. I feel very confident that you will find the similar cost reduction while still getting the benefits you need.
|

replied August 13th, 2008
Pellets
I would look into pellet replacement. Great alternative, good pricing as well. Google Sottopelle.
|

replied March 25th, 2009
Pellets (Pills?)
AVOID the pill form of this stuff! If your Doctor gives a hoot about you at all he won't even give them to you and explain why. The pills (in test and in men) have a side effect called LIVER CANCER. that's one you have already dealt with Mr.smilingBob except ya lose more than before. The injection has a high peak and you bottom out right before you need to get your next shot. I've been on this stuff for 3 years and ya gotta be careful. I use the pump but for some reason, without changing the dose, my numbers are off the chart at 1300. Why too high at these levels one needs to be concerned with prostrate cancer (God, I hate that word!!!) Good luck to all my brothers out there & God Bless.
|

replied March 25th, 2009
mrmike60:
I won't do the patch or injection for the same reason..(to high & then to low)..I have been on the gel (pump) since 2005 and my dose is 5 pumps per day...that keeps me at about 400ish...how many pumps do you do??
And might I ask why you are on andro-gel to??
Same reason as me????
God Bless
|

replied March 31st, 2009
New to Androgel
Well I'm starting on Androgel tonight and kinda curious about the effects. I had my right testicle removed when I was 16 and I'm 25 now. My level was only 165!!! The doc never said anything back then about needing to probably take this stuff and I'm kinda aggravated about it. At least I took it upon myself to have it checked...stupid that I waited so long! Well guys you've been taking this for a while. What can I expect? I actively lift weights and do cardio. Could I get stronger or lose more fat? Will my mood hopefully improve. Any comments would be appreciated.
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
Androgel up and down
WLXX,
I had almost the exact same situation age related and testicle related. I also was not given any info on androgen replacement. Doctors back then (1990) said that I was too young and would have bad ( etc.etc.) things happen later if I started on hormone replacement. You'll never know how your body reacts until you try it. Everyone is different. 5mg androgel daily seems enough to get the ball rolling. Get your blood tested in 1 month and see what is happening and how you feel. And, importantly, do not drink alcohol if possible. Anything to impair liver function will only hurt you even more now.

Best regards
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
WLXX
WLXX,
I had almost the exact same situation age related and testicle related. I also was not given any info on androgen replacement. Doctors back then (1990) said that I was too young and would have bad ( etc.etc.) things happen later if I started on hormone replacement. You'll never know how your body reacts until you try it. Everyone is different. 5mg androgel daily seems enough to get the ball rolling. Get your blood tested in 1 month and see what is happening and how you feel. And, importantly, do not drink alcohol if possible. Anything to impair liver function will only hurt you even more now.

Best regards
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
Thank you for the info
Thanks so much I didn't know that about the alcohol
|

replied May 6th, 2009
THANKS DON. I'VE BEEN ON IT NOW FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF AND CAN TELL A LITTLE DIFFERENCE. I'M SUPPOSED TO GO BACK TO HAVE MY TEST CHECKED IN JUNE AND UNLESS ANYTHING CHANGES BETWEEN NOW AND THEN, I THINK GOING UP TO 10g WOULD BE BETTER. BUT AT LEAST I HAVE HAD SOME IMPROVEMENTS. I'M CONSIDERING GOING TO AN ANTI-AGING CLINIC. NOTHING AGAINST MY FAMILY PRACTICE DOC, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOMEONE WHO HAS ALOT OF EXPERIENCE IN THIS FIELD. THANKS AGAIN!
|

replied July 21st, 2009
Androgel has been good to me. T# about 700. I would like to know the best areas to apply. One place says not on scrotum, next says thats the best spot. Help?
|

replied April 28th, 2011
Androgel does say on the scrotum. That's because there is no alcohol in it and the scrotum has high absorption capacity for topical medication.
Most componded versions are ROH, meaning they have alcohol. These are best applied on shaved skin without using the hands. Shave a section of thigh, or ribs, put the medication on the fore-arm, and then rub it in. Rotate constantly to four or five locations, always shaved surfaces.

For any ROH, and
|

replied September 29th, 2013
I've been on Androgel 1.62% for about a year now, prescribed 3 pumps a day. The instructions (leaflet in the box and at androgel.com say to apply it to the chest and upper arms and DO NOT PUT IT ON YOU PENIS OR SCROTUM! READ THEIR APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

I started feeling (and performing) a lot better within 1 - 2 weeks. Androgel is too expensive, but their Androgel restoration program card helps reduce the cost. When the card expires you can call or email them and get another one.

Diet and exercise to maintain a healthy weight, proper sleep and stress reduction also help me to feel better.
|

replied August 1st, 2009
low t
I went ahead and shaved the scrotum area, and applied it there. I'll get tested next month. I'm on the compounded variety, much cheaper, and good.
|

replied October 14th, 2009
Can i rub Androgel (pump) on my penis?
I went to the Doctor last week, i told him my Penis is shrinking, what is going on? Dr. Said it was probually low hormone level. He ran my blood work and found out it was low. He perscribed the Androgel pump. the pamplet calls for me to rub it on my chest and upper arms. My question is, can i put in on my penis and balls? And will it work fast? i am 35 years old and this sucks.
|

replied January 5th, 2010
Androgel and why the give it to us?
Wow! I didnt know that people are on this stuff because of soo many different things! Im on the gel because Im HIV+ And because of that my Test is low. No my dick havent gotten smaller and I deff aint putting it on my nuts! But I dont smoke or drink ethor and for some reason I have a boner like dam near all day! Ive been useing it for like a week now but reading more about it, You can get ball cancer from it??? I hope not! Me and my 10inch would not be happy! But my qustion is why do Doc's give this gel to people??? I mean other than my case.
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2010
I go back in 9 days for my check up but I just had my right testicle removed due to cancer I am 24 years old. Will I need to talk to my Doctor about testosterone or will my remaining testicle be sufficient?
|

replied January 14th, 2011
Androgel
I'm writing on behalf of my husband. He's 52 and has chronic pain, and we thought that was the reason he has the other symptoms - bad moods, no sex drive, loss of muscle tone, fatigue, falling asleep after dinner, etc. Now we find out his t level is 58. Anyway, I'm going to look into the compound pharmacy to save $ on Androgel. Does anyone know whether or not you have to stay on this med permanently??
|

replied January 14th, 2011
Androgel
I'm writing on behalf of my husband. He's 52 and has chronic pain, and we thought that was the reason he has the other symptoms - bad moods, no sex drive, loss of muscle tone, fatigue, falling asleep after dinner, etc. Now we find out his t level is 58. Anyway, I'm going to look into the compound pharmacy to save $ on Androgel. Does anyone know whether or not you have to stay on this med permanently??
|

replied January 19th, 2011
I am 26 and use Androgel or compounded Gel.
It works rather well when you are on ity at this age you are on it for life.
I had orchitis when I was a little younger that atrophied the testicles and I have to use the medication now or I can not function.
|
12 >>