Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

symptoms of "soft" bipolar disorder?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
I am wondering if it's possible that I have bipolar disorder. I am ofically diagnosed with major depressive disorder and am currently taking 40 mg of Citalopram, which I have been on for a little over a year. I have not had any major problems witht the medication other than it seems to not have the same kick it used to but I know that's common. I've never fit the stereotypical model for bipolar disorder, but I felt like something other than just depression was going on. While I don't think I've ever experienced a traditional manic or hypomanic episode, I have had extremely agitated and anxious depressions. I have also had more traditional depressions where I had no energy. I've had energetic depressions, and I've also had lethargic depressions. It's a cycle. Recently I read an article that describes symptoms of "soft" bipolar disorder, which fit my perfectly I thought. I have had periods of feeling suicidal, and then I'm fine like nothing happened.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2011
Bipolar Disorder Answer A25085
Hello,

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for these symptoms. Basically what you are having is depression which is usually found in people having bipolar disorder. Sometimes there are mixed episodes in which features of both mania and depression are present at the same time and in some people, depression and mania may rapidly alternate, which is known as rapid cycling.

You should talk to your psychiatrist about depression and get antidepressants prescribed. Psychotherapy will also help a lot in your case. Also start reading good books, employing relaxation techniques like meditation, spending time in your favorite activities and interacting with people. Communicating and discussing your feelings is an integral part of your treatment and will help with your recovery.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.