Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Symptoms of hiatal hernia and treatment

User Profile
I had a hiatus hernia for quite some time. I know the foods that cause heartburn and I avoid them so most of the times I am not too bad. The only symptom I get and quite annoying as well it's difficulty to burp.
I get like trapped wind sensation in my chest and throat turning into a knot a knot the pain can irradiate to the back, shoulder blades and jaw feeling like a pressure at the same time, that even wakes me up. The I try to burp and the burp gets trapped in the throat and I can't relieve the discomfort. I have to keep provoking the burp until i feel some relieve. I don't get it often but when I get it it's very uncomfortable. I went to the cardiologist thinking that could be heart related but he said it's linked to the hernia. When that happens to me I get very panicky. What is the cause for that?? And what can make the knot sensation better and easiar to burp.

Thaks in advance

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2009
Hernia Answer A8067
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.

A hiatal hernia causing a trapped wind sensation in the chest and throat along with pain radiating to the back and shoulders should be examined and investigated with a barium meal x-ray.

The symptom of pain may be produced when there is incarceration and obstruction of the stomach in the paraesophagial hernia, where the stomach slips above, through the opening of the diaphragm and gets trapped causing an obstruction, whereas a sliding hernia produces no pain but other symptoms like acidity and burping.

Please see your doctor or a gastroenterologist as severe cases of hernias causing pain may sometimes require surgical intervention. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.