Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Symptoms of a neurological disorder

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
from time to time i get a strange feeling on my skin usually on my hands arms or legs,it feels as if it would if you had dropped a drop of very hot water on your skin when it happens i think something has dropped on my skin but look to see nothing the sensation trickles down my skin and cools down as it runs down,what in the world is it?it doesn't cause any other trouble but it baffles me,is there hot blood passing through my veins or something,
the other thing that may or may not be conected is i bruise alot if my husband grabs my arm it bruises up black n blue i know im clumsy and sometimes i bump into corners and stuff but they bruise up so bad sometimes i have bruises that i don't remember hurting myself.
please
help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2008
Neurological Disorders Answer A4898
Given the data you provided, it seems likely that the sensation of “a very hot water drop trickling down the skin and cooling down as it runs” is simply a nerve sensation (we can not feel our blood passing through veins). Although not so typical one, paresthesia (tingling/trickling) might appear as a symptom of a cervical spondylosis (degenerative osteoarthritis of the spinal vertebrae and related tissue), due to working in front of a computer, as one of the examples.

To prove or exclude this in order to prescribe treatment, your family doctor might want to do an X-ray of your neck spine. This might also turn out to be a condition called erythromelalgia (periods of burning pain, redness and warmth in the feet and hands), although it is very rare. Moreover, in order to exclude more serious spinal cord disorders, a spinal MRI could be done, as well.

Only if all organic causes are excluded, it could be presumed that there is a psychological cause, so both appropriate oral treatments accompanied by behavioural psychotherapy might be prescribed. Meanwhile, it could be wise to take vitamins from the B-complex group, such as vitamin B6, B12, B1, etc., which are good “refreshing” for our nerves.

As for the bruising, many factors could be the cause, and one of the first basic diagnostic tests that your doctor might choose to do are CBC-complete blood count (with leukocyte differential and thrombocytes-platelets), together with hemostasis tests, such as PT, aPTT, etc., as well as the simple Rumple-Leed test of blood vessel walls, all for discovery of the right cause of the easily-provoked bruises. Meanwhile, you could try to strengthen the capillary walls with regular oral Vitamin C of 1 gram dosage, on a daily basis.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.