Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Symptoms after brain surgery

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
User Profile
My wife already had passed period of 2 mths since brain surgery (right temporal lobe hematoma 2.3 x 2.5 x 2.1 cm - detail condition refer to current diagnosed data entry), and 1 mth stop medication,
But she still feel symptoms of light headache (dizzy, stiff at neck, eye feel tired, sometime leg/hand numbness)recently got feel her eyeball keep move around and eye feel tired

Questions
1. Whether her condition/symptoms consider as normal after surgery?
2. How long normally those condition will getting better?
3. Any one have similiar of experiences that can share?
4. What should we further do, treatment, theraphy, medication?
5. Prior stop medication, detected there was overdosed Dilantin, then normally how long the side affect of Dilantin will go away?

Appreciate your response.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2010
Stroke Answer A10363
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

The eye symptoms which your wife is having are likely due to the side effects of dilantin. Dilantin is known to produce horizontal gaze nystagmus which is an oscillatory motion of the eye ball. Ophthalmoparesis or weakness of the eyeball is also one of the known side effects of dilantin and thus it seems to be the likely culprit. The other symptoms of headache, stiffness of the neck & numbness of the hands may not necessarily be due to dilantin.

For the same, I’ll suggest consulting your neurologist and seeking an opinion. She may need further tests like an MRI to determine the cause of these symptoms. Any edema (swelling) around the hematoma can lead to such symptoms.

I sincerely hope this information helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.