Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Swollen veins almost all over the body?

What conditions can cause swelling of the blood vessels almost all over the body, especially eyes, arms, legs? Swelling is accompanied by increased temperature, redness, sweating, and is aggravated by the vertical position, heat and fatigue.I feel my pulse through my body when this problem occurs.When it is cold, the problem is alleviated.A few years ago, i always had cold extremities, now it is the opposite.Sorry for my english,help me please,the summer is a real cruel experience for me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

It seems that you observe the venous dilation in your extremities when exposed to hot conditions and the symptoms / Dilated veins become normal when exposed to cold temperatures.

If these are the symptoms you are bothered about, then you have nothing to worry as they are completely normal physiological responses of the body.

Vasodilation refers to the widening of blood vessels due to relaxation of smooth muscles within blood vessels. The reverse process, that is narrowing of blood vessels is called vasoconstriction. Both these processes are mediated by the autonomic nervous system.

In colder environment, the body needs to conserve the body heat, hence the blood flow to the periphery is reduced by vasoconstriction. While in hot climates, the body needs to lose heat, which is done by increasing the blood flow (vasodilation) to the peripheral organs.

In case, the blood vessels are permanently dilated and their size does not change with temperatures, then it is abnormal sign, indicating either a blood vessel (vascular) or a neurological injury or disease. Conditions like hyperthyroidism which cause heat intolerance might also be necessary. In such a situation, you may need to seek help from your doctor for proper treatment and advice.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.