Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Swollen vagina only on left side

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Okay so I noticed this around last week. It started off with an itch on my left side, next to my clitoris but not on it. It felt like an itch that would occur when you shave your downstairs area and it begins to grow back and prickles and makes you itch. So I dismissed it. The itching went away, but now I noticed that I have kinda of like a swollen area. When I look at it, it looks like a strip of skin, but when touched it's kind of firm. When touched it's painless but for the two days I've been feeling a small shock of pain on the left side. It's not unbearable, but it is concerning me. What could this possibly be? I noticed it started happening after Valentines Day weekend, for two days I wore clothes that was pretty tight around that area. I have a bit of discharge, but I thought it to be normal because my period comes next week. Any ideas on what this is? Has anybody else experienced this? Any tips on what I can do? I am planning on going to gyno, I just wanted to wait a few more days to see if it would go away.

Also, when I noticed the itching, I thought it was because the hair was growing back so I shaved again. Don't know if that makes a difference in anything, just thought I'd mention it though.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 22nd, 2010
Especially eHealthy
BumblebeexX, It sounds like you are talking of the area on your labia majora (big outside lips) next to the clitoris? Your vagina is inside your body and there is no hair to shave there.

Is it possible that you have an ingrown hair?
|

Yeah i didn't think it was due to shaving, just thought I should throw it in there just in case.

Is it possible that it could be due to the tight clothes I was wearing? I just checked it out and it looks a lot better than the past couple of days.
|

Especially eHealthy
BumblebeexX, I do not think it is caused by tight clothes. Even though tight clothes are not very good for your health, it does not cause this.

I sounds like an ingrown hair, a blocked sweat gland or a pimple. Remember to shave with the hair growth, not against it. Even though shaving against the hair growth feels like it gives you a closer shave, it pushes the hair in and can make ingrown hair problems worse. Shaving with the growth will pull the hair out a bit before cutting it. Remember to give the hair a chance to soak and get softer before shaving, use a good quality gel or foam and don't skimp on the razor. Wash well after you are finished.
|