Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Swollen uvula and sore throat

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
User Profile
I woke up 4 days ago with a sore throat and major swelling of the Uvula, its so swollen its resting on my tongue, and it is hard to breath. I went to a dr. in my town who said i said strep throat, ok fine, didnt test for it by the way, and prescribed me 500MG of amoxicillian, its been 3 days of this medication, nothing has changed, i can barely swallow, so painful and my uvula is not getting any better at all.... please help me, should i get a second opinion?
amy
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ChronicTMJ
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Supporter
Hi Amy,

Yes, I've never heard of diagnosing strep throat without testing. I would definitely either get a second opinion or just call your doctor and let him know that it's not getting any better. I hope you feel better soon!
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2009
i actually did last night i went to emerg and nothing, this is really driving me crazy,
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2009
Supporter
That's crazy. The ER didn't take any blood from you or do a strep test?? Where do you live?
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2009
canada, small town, go figure, this is out health care system... they did do a swab for strep, but who know if ill hear anything ... i can take the sore throat, but the uvula sitting on my tongue making me want to puke, not so much....
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2009
Supporter
That must be a horrible feeling. I'm so used to getting blood work done if I go into the ER. It just surprised me that they do so little. You might want to try some Aleve until you get some answers. Feel better soon!
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2009
listen to me i am not a dr. and i thank GOD.
YOU HAVE CANDIS,or Yeast stop the med.stop the surgar,get adolphilous at any drug store or walmart. and order TREELAC.From online. type in treelac in shearch. Them so called drs. did this to my wife too. it took a Chiropractor,to figure it out. please listen to me,the med is killing more and more of your good bacteria. do a shearch.GOOD LUCK. coachwert.
|

replied July 25th, 2010
Any better?
wondering if you got better. I have the same thing- test showed neg for strep. My throat is great but Uvula irritated and swollen. The Dr. said it's probably viral, just gave me antibiotics anyway and a steroid pack to reduce the swelling.
|

replied July 27th, 2010
can you all come to this topic? it's the same subject. Also please try to answer to my questions,thanks.
http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic2952_8 0.html
|

replied July 27th, 2010
Why would a doctor suggest antibiotics for a presumed viral infection? That's like getting antibiotics for a cold. They just love to prescribe something....and the usual suspects when they don't really have an answer is anitbiotics and steriods. Make sure you take something to counteract the antibiotics like yogurt or acipophilis if you choose to take them.
|

replied March 10th, 2011
Swollen Uvula
Its caused from smoking and heavy snoring, it's only life threatning if it closes your airway even though I woke up this morning with it and I have an overwhelming sense of doom. I took ibruprofen and ice water for the swelling. Some numbing throat spray and halls to suck on. It should remedy itself after 8-12 hrs or less. If not then go see your doctor.
|

replied March 10th, 2011
Its caused from smoking and heavy snoring, it's only life threatning if it closes your airway even though I woke up this morning with it and I have an overwhelming sense of doom. I took ibruprofen and ice water for the swelling. Some numbing throat spray and halls to suck on. It should remedy itself after 8-12 hrs or less. If not then go see your doctor.
|

replied April 24th, 2011
I don't smoke but I do snore and have been drinking cold drinks all day but still have the swelling and soreness and now my ears hurt.
|

replied June 6th, 2011
Swollen uvula
Woke up and it looked like I had a thumb in the back of my throat. I don't smoke but I did take a sleeping pill and my roommate said I was snoring louder than normal. Is the loud snoring because of the swelling and obstructed air way or was the swelling because of the loud snoring. Kind of like the chicken and the egg theory I guess?? 3 days later a trip to the dr a negative strep test and a prick on the finger for blood and a negative mono test I'm still a bit swollen and just a little sore and tender still. I did use my toothbrush and scrape a big chunk of what looked like puss but turned out to be just a flap of flesh left from such severe swelling. Perhaps the reason I'm still sore 3 days later... I gargle with throat numbing spray and spit out don't want to swallow that much of the medicine take benadrill just incase it was an allergic reaction to something and advil for swelling. Weird the dr at the med clinic never asked if I was allergic to anything... I always thought a swollen throat could be the result of an allergic reaction, at least it seems exaggerated in some movies.... I'm just left unclear as to what happened to me and why??? I do take sleeping pills quite often so that was not out of the norm for me.... Any ideas??
|

replied March 25th, 2012
first hand uvula swelling
i woke up with swollen uvula in mid of night. Put up with the gagging reflex for one day. Made an expensive trip to a weekend clinic the next morning. I was given a decadron shot and a rocephin shot. Chewing on ice chips now. Hoping for relief tonight. So far, not much I can tell for the swelling of uvula. Sinus drainage is better, so I'm hoping that will help ease swelling. My diagnosis was allergic rhinitis and acute pharyngitis
|

replied August 27th, 2012
Re: Swollen uvula and sore throat
aim123 wrote:
I woke up 4 days ago with a sore throat and major swelling of the Uvula, its so swollen its resting on my tongue, and it is hard to breath. I went to a dr. in my town who said i said strep throat, ok fine, didnt test for it by the way, and prescribed me 500MG of amoxicillian, its been 3 days of this medication, nothing has changed, i can barely swallow, so painful and my uvula is not getting any better at all.... please help me, should i get a second opinion?
amy

hi there, this is a problem that has plagued me for years and first started when I was about ten years old. I woke up one day with the feeling that something was sitting in my throat and every time I tried to swallow it I got a sharp pain in the roof of my mouth. I looked in the mirror and my Uvula was swollen to the point where, like yours, it could flop quite happily on my tongue.

I went to a GP who referred me to an ENT because he said he'd never seen anything like it. The ENT pulled out a dusty old book from under his desk and casually told me I had "Quincke's Disease" - a disorder of the soft tissues in the Uvula.

Info on Quincke's:
http://www.ncemi.org/cse/cse0412.htm

We were able to isolate the cause for me as sleeping with an open window coupled with my tendency to sleep with my mouth open. I was told that because the nose warms air as it's being breathed in, and the mouth doesn't, I was subjecting my Uvula to a great deal of cold air which was aggravating it in the night and causing it to swell, which would cause me to snore, which would aggravate it more.

I had to sleep for a couple nights with duct tape on my mouth to get used to regular breathing through the nose but haven't had the problem since. If I do get it, I know I've been sleeping with my mouth open.

I hope that helps, no one really knows about Quincke's and I have a feeling it's more common than you might think.

When you first wake up and it's fully swolen, slowly drink a hot drink, it will ease the swelling. Try and keep your throat warm.

All the best

Oli
|

replied April 17th, 2014
A swollen uvula will cause concern to the person experiencing this symptom, however this is often really a typical symptom that usually needs very little to no medical intervention. Some potential causes of uvula swelling embrace snoring, dehydration, or sleeping with the mouth open. Infections, mouth ulcers, or excess alcohol consumption may additionally cause the event of a swollen uvula.

A dry throat may be a common explanation for a swollen uvula. this might be caused by dehydration, sleeping with the mouth open, or just living in a vicinity that contains a dry climate. those that smoke square measure additional doubtless to develop uvula swelling, as square measure those that square measure exposed to pollution.

Infections square measure among the foremost common causes of a swollen uvula. These infections could also be caused by bacterium or viruses. microorganism infections square measure usually treated with prescription antibiotics, whereas infective agent infections square measure oftentimes left to run their course, though antiviral medications could also be prescribed in some cases.

Hot foods or beverages might typically burn the uvula and cause swelling. because the burned tissue begins to heal, the swelling ought to go down. substance abuse has been better-known to cause the uvula to swell in some folks. Limiting or discontinuing alcohol use can usually cut back the swelling. Canker sores within the mouth, particularly those placed close to the uvula, might cause swelling.

Ad
Acid reflux will cause irritation and swelling of the uvula. This condition is generally treated with over-the-counter or prescription medications. Dietary changes might have to be enforced so as to avoid triggering the acid reflux attacks. Allergies, significantly seasonal allergies like allergic rhinitis, have an inclination to cause the uvula to become swollen. Over-the-counter or prescription allergic reaction medications will usually stop the event of this symptom.

In rare cases, a swollen uvula could also be a proof of a severe sensitivity to medications, foods, or different substances. different symptoms which will indicate a severe sensitivity embrace a rash, problem respiration, or loss of consciousness. These symptoms ought to be treated as a medical emergency, as a severe sensitivity are often probably fatal, particularly if not medically treated directly.

In most cases, a swollen uvula isn't a reason to be to a fault involved. therewith aforementioned, if there's hefty pain or discomfort or if there square measure different symptoms gift still, a doctor ought to be consulted for any analysis. Some causes of this kind of swelling need the utilization of prescription medications, and it's forever informed rule out any severe medical problems.
|