Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Swollen tonsil and jaw pain?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I have a swollen left tonsil and a sore left jaw. It is sore and bothersome under my earlobe and it goes down into my neck some, thats how it started out about a week ago. The neck pain or soreness is gone now but I still have soreness in the jaw. Ive been to the doc and said it may be from allergies. I am already taking vistiril and singulair. I also went to the dentist but he said it is probably my tonsil causing all this. He couldn't find any reason for it to be my jaw. I had a root canal on the upper left 3rd or 4th to the last tooth about 2 months ago. But everything seems good with that. I have no other symptoms. What does it sound like to you? How do I know if I have a deviated septum? I guess I would have to have my doctor to look in my nose since I can't really see up there that good, even in a mirror.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Sunshine,

It is very possible that the problems with your throat are stemming from your tonsils. They are designed to scoop up infectous or irritating substances before they can enter the body by way of the GI tract. The debri is then sent to the lymph nodes in the neck for disposal.

So, they can be inflamed or infected by many different substances. Initially, the treatment is aimed at treating the inflammation or infection. But, if the tonsils become chronically inflamed/infected, then they usually have to be surgically removed.

As to the deviated septum, it is diagnosed by looking at it. ENT or plastic surgeons can use a special lighted speculum, that allows them to look at the complete septum and turbinates. Contrary to popular belief, not all deviated septums need to be treated.

A plastic surgeon I know, has a very badly deviated septum, which he developed after an injury to the nose. But, it does not cause him any problems, so he has never had to have it addressed.

The external appearance of the divider at the nares, is not a very good indicator of what is going on inside the nose. So, it usually takes a thorough exam by an ENT or plastic surgeon to determine if you have a significantly deviated septum.

So, if you throat continues to bother you, despite proper management of your allergies and treatment of any local infections, you should probably be evaluated by an ENT surgeon, to see if you have developed chronic tonsillitis.

Good luck.
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
Thanks for your response.
|