Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Swollen throat around Adam's apple

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi everyone, Im new here on ehealth. Here's my story.

I have had a sensation of something stuck in my throat for about a month, not that bothersome so I didn't worry about it. About a week ago I started to get swelling on my right side of my adam's apple and have felt weak, slightly chilly, and had diarrhea. The swelling, un-comfortableness, and slight difficulty swallowing gets worse near the end of the day as well. I have no cough, no pain, just can feel something is not right. It looks like the area all around my adams apple is swollen and protruding. I am 20, a male, and smoke about a half pack for a few years. I have been tested for mono and strep both negative. I really just want to rule out the possibility of cancer. And I am currently quitting smoking cigs and marijuana.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 5th, 2012
Its appearing that I have a Thyroglossal Duct Cyst. I have felt better but the swelling is the same, if not a tiny bit worse. Like I said, no pain, no cough, no sore throat. Just irritation and the feeling that there is a lump beside my adam's apple under the thyroid cartilage. Does this sound right?
|

replied April 8th, 2012
So I still have no diagnosis. Last night I had a small toke to try to ease my nerves as all I do is worry about this problem that is unknown, and it made my tongue become elevated to the point that my uvula was laying flat on it. My tongue was pushed up and back from throat swelling. The swelling in the throat is now on both sides and swallowing feels completely different. Getting a bit worried and finally getting an apt. set up with an ent tomorrow. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I am completely in the dark. No clue what this is. Could be anything. And the only treatment I've received that seems to help are anti-inflammatory steroids. Thankyou for reading. Anyone have ideas?
|

replied October 31st, 2012
We have the same thing, Man. I've been from doctor to doctor for about 4 years now. No one knows what is it because they find nothing wrong!
It's driving me mad.
|

replied April 12th, 2012
Sore throat lump
Whoa... My best friend who is currently 17 years old texted me saying she has a lump. Just to the right of where the adams apple would be and it hurts. We smoke weed like chimmneys,But wont be quitting... Even for cancer. I appreciate knowing that someone else is going through this not just her and am worried rather this may be contagious considering you both seem to have some unknown throat lump around the same time period. Hang in there man.
|