Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Swollen puffy and burning lips (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I have had swollen red, severly chapped lips for over eight days. I am thinking that it is an allergic reatction to some unknown product, food, drink? They are awful looking and are burning constantly with a prickly effect. Please help me!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Earthwoman
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Have you been in the sun? Have you put on any lip balm or moisturizer? Have you been eating or drinking anything new? Have you tried any new lipstick or other cosmetics?

Call your doctor and ask if you should come in or if you should try just taking some over-the-counter antihistamines to see if that makes the swelling and other symptoms better.
|

replied December 17th, 2009
I have the same thing. Did you ever find out what it was??
|

replied January 17th, 2012
Burning lips may be from an allergy
I had burning, swollen lips, and the problem got so bad I went to a dermatologist for skin tests. It turned out that I was allergic to my toothpaste, Colgate Total, and many fragrances that are closely aligned to flavorings. Chapstick contains allergens also, for some people, which is why it always made my symptoms worse. Try lip balms without fragrances or artificial flavorings, and see if that helps. It took me months of using a different toothpaste (I'm using Tom's of Maine) and different lip balm, but I finally got back to normal.
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
I had the same problem and my lips were so cracked they bled. I have used Crest toothpaste before, but I just tried the 3D product. I now am using Sensedyne for 2 days and my lips are still cracked but not a puffy. I don't have money to go to a doctor, so I have to depend on you all for help!
|

replied January 29th, 2012
I don't know about the whitening strips. According to my dermatologist's list, most toothpastes are OK, including the regular Crest, Aim, Aquafresh, Colgate Cavity Protection Toothpaste, Sensodyne, Arm & Hammer, etc. There's something in Colgate Total, though, that I am really allergic to, and I thought that other people with this burning, swollen lip problem might be also. While you're figuring it out, it helps to use 1% hydrocortisone ointment (not lotion) on your lips to help reduce the swelling and burning (suggested by my dermatologist). It's not good to use hydrocortisone forever, because you're probably going to be ingesting a bit of it. It really helps reduce the swelling and burning, though, if your problem is an allergy.
|

replied August 31st, 2013
It WAS the toothpaste!
Had the same thing and couldn't figure out what was causing the burning. I lived like that for five months! Then I found this forum and read about the possibility that my toothpaste might be the culprit. I have no idea why this didn't occur to me but thank you all for posting about this! I stopped using chemical based toothpaste and started making my own with baking powder, salt, stevia and peppermint and in THREE DAYS all of my symptoms were gone! We have far too many chemicals in our products and foods. Time to go back to natural stuff. Bye bye chemicals!
|

replied September 12th, 2013
Mine is an allergic reaction to yellow dye
I have an allergy to yellow dye, in foods and medications. That is what causes mine. If you haven't found the culprit, start comparing ingredients in EVERYTHING you ingest. My lips break out terribly! I figured out what it was when I had a reaction to a particular medication, then several months later, to a totally different, unrelated medication. Now, I can't eat food containing yellow 5, 6 or 10.
|

replied September 13th, 2013
I am a dental hygienist. For the past two years I have had episodes of lip swelling and burning. When it starts to go down they are dry and chapped. I thought it was the masks I was using so stopped using masks. Still no relief. Now I think it might be a chemical that I'm cleaning the room with so I changed that. Still no relief. I looks awful and feels worse. Have been to an allergist. He couldn't find anything. I can go months without this happening, then out of the clear but sky they swell. Wish I had an answer.
|

replied October 5th, 2013
Carmine allergy
I had same problem a couple of years ago and am pretty sure it was an allergy to carmine. Carmine is used as a red food dye and is in Yoplait Strawberry yogurt. I now read labels carefully to avoid carmine, but this week having problem again and can't think of anything I ate that was red or pink. Checking now to see if the cookies I ate the other day had any dyes. Fortunately, it's not getting worse, but I'd like to pinpoint the problem.
|

replied October 6th, 2013
It's very frustrating. I ate microwave popcorn the other night and my lips started to burn. Also I started to swell yesterday after washing my hair. The shampoo ran down my face when I was rinsing it out. There are sulfite a in shampoo. Don't know if that has something to do with it.
|

replied November 24th, 2013
hope this helps
I know it's been 6 years since this original post and I hope your lip condition has subsided completely. I am a 31 year old male with similar strange things happening to my lips on & off for the last 10 years or so. For me, having sensitive skin, this condition has been trying to say the least. I always told myself if I find some things that help I would try & pass them along because I know how rough this stuff can be. For me, the root cause seems to be a yeast infection. Candida to be more specific. The candida overran my body leading to food allergies and a number of other symptoms which, as a whole, made daily life almost unbearable for me. The 1st step for me was and is threelac. It is made by global healthtrax and it's the common denominator in fighting candida. I still take 2 packets a day and may never stop. Second I had to clean up my diet. No gluten, google "top foods antifungal" and this is my new core diet. Third step for me that took 10 years to find is coconut oil. I ingest a tablespoon a day and use it to make my own toothpaste and my own shapstick. I'm not sure any of this applies in your situation but I guess it's better to try & not succeed then to not try at all.
|

also look into "oil pulling" with coconut oil.
|

ALL PRESERVATIVES ARE THE ENEMY. food, lotions, America's economy runs on preservatives. Eat fresh foods, not processed. Go to honest.com & use these products.
|

Well I think I found the culprit. I stopped kissing my animals and I am better. What ever is in the cat fur ( pollen, saliva, etc.) has caused my lips to swell and crack. Also I am allergic to latiex. I had my own teeth cleaned and my mouth actually bled from the exam! So I am being very careful not to let the animals near my face which is hard because I love to hug and kiss them. And also have the dentist use mitral gloves when examining me.
|

replied August 23rd, 2014
How long does this last? I've been going through this about a month. At first the Angelina Jolie look was great, now it's painful and ugly. I switched to Tom's but still use flavored floss and occasionally use whitening strips. Should I ditch those too! My lips are sad and tired of hurting.
|

How long does this last? I've been going through this about a month. At first the Angelina Jolie look was great, now it's painful and ugly. I switched to Tom's but still use flavored floss and occasionally use whitening strips. Should I ditch those too! My lips are sad and tired of hurting.
|

|

replied August 26th, 2014
I have had the same problem for years. It was fluoride in my toothpaste. Since using Toms without fluoride my symptoms have disappeared. Hope this helps
|

replied October 16th, 2014
Starting about 3 1/2 weeks ago, My lips started feeling dry like I needed to put on gloss or chapstick then it got progressively worse from there and now for over a week now my lips are red, a little swollen and burn. They feel scorched. I stopped wearing any makeup including lipstick. I have been using Tom's of Maine toothpaste for a year now almost so I don't think it's my toothpaste. Now I have cracks and cuts on the corners of my mouth as well and can't seem to get rid of this... I have been to urgent care, and my regular dr and they both thought allergic reaction to something or maybe a fungus to my pulmecort steroid for my asthma however I haven't used the pulmecort in over a week and still the same way. Last night when I went to bed my lips actually started feeling like maybe they were starting to heal however when I awoke they were worse again!! I don't get it. While googling this it says it could be many different things. One being Angioedema which is caused from an allergy, then also, west nile virus can cause it, along with Lymphoma... Scary.. I just want this to go away..
|
12 >>