Medical Questions > Mens Health > Penis Forum

Swollen penis and groin (Page 1)

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
So it started off I noticed a soreness in my lower abdomen area, the next day I noticed my penis was very tender feeling and I began running a fever (never broke 100.7 deg). Today I woke up and the shaft from the head to about an inch down is swollen all around and it is very tender and sore to the touch and slight pressure. The sides of my groin area (assuming lymph nodes) are sore, and the area above my groin, like on the pubic bone is very sore almost like a bruise.

I went to the doctor and he was unsure of what it could be. He sated he thought it could be paraphimosis, but according to my own research this is only possible in uncircumcised males (I am circumcised). He prescribed a steroid cream for the swelling, and an anti-biotic in case it is a bacteria thing or infection. He ran a urine test and said it was clear of any blood or any STDs.

I have not engaged in any unprotected sexual encounters anyhow.
I have not sustained any trauma to the area.

He basically said if the cream and anti-biotic do not start to show an improvement in 2 days to call him and he'll set me up with a urologist. I've been doing searching on the internet and I cannot find anything that matches my symptoms, I'm extremely worried, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

Symptoms are :
-Low to mid grade fever
-Red, tender swollen inch thick ring around penis (no sores, rash, itching or bumps present). Swelling is not hard mass like, it feels more like puffy skin.
-Yesterday I had a sever headache for most of the day that tylenol did not help.
-Sore areas around groin area
-Yesterday I was all sore and slightly achy.
-The area under my ribs, right side of my back are somewhat sore, but this may be my mind adding onto the symptoms.
-No pain or trouble urinating.
-Slight nausea ( I think this may be due to my nerves however )

If anyone could please give me some insight as to what might be up. I'm really concerned. Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper thyme2
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Did you tell the doctor about the fever/headache/soreness? Hopefully the antibiotics clear it up.
|

replied July 30th, 2008
Yeah I told him.

Update : The swelling has died down a fair bit, but it is now beginning to itch, and all day my stomach has been sore/full feeling.
|

replied August 19th, 2008
Symptoms
Hey Car_Nerd

I have exactly the same symptoms as you do!!!

Have had this for 2 weeks now and its getting worse so thought I would look on the internet for info and found your post

I had a urine and blood tests which were both fine

How are you now?
Have there been any developments or diagnosis>?

Let me know please as I am also stuck as what to do next

cheers

Kurtis
|

replied September 4th, 2008
Sounds like you both have a form of balanitis.

Yes for most it is more peresnt in men with all their foreskin but for those that don't, you can get it to.

Check out this site, it may have the answers you are looking for.

balanitisgone.com
|

replied October 20th, 2009
can any of you guys who had these symptoms tell me your result. i feel like i am having the same issue and would like to know what ended up treating you...
|

replied February 26th, 2012
hi guys.i also having the same problems.pain at groin when i woke up on the morning and my penile shaft looks swollen.feel discomfort and im having a mild fever.i didnt have sex for 3weeks.

pls help.thinking to bring to a dctr but based on my researh, give it a time first because it may going down for several days. if not, its time to let the dctr see.
|

replied October 30th, 2012
I am having the same same symptoms, just started yesterday, is anyone that has posted on this forum had any resolution to this?
|

replied November 20th, 2012
I also have some similar symptoms.3 weeks before i lifted some weight in a very bad position, like a push-up position and i felt something bad at my groin area.Later that night i catched cold and spend the next day in bed. But after when i get better i felt the same pain at my groin area and a hard thing like a vein that can be felt when touch. I thought it's because of the weight lifting so i didn't pay attention and had sex with my girlfriend.After that i saw a swelling on the left side of the shaft. I went to a doctor, actually two 'cause there was an another professor with him and they told me i may have peyronie's disease. But after all my research i can not find similarities between my symptoms and that disease. So i also wonder some results for this thing.Please help..
|

replied November 29th, 2012
Have had this twice now. Was prescribed Prednisone(steroid) which helped reduce duration. Best I can tell its an allergic reaction or a bacterial thing. Actually think a dose of Doxycycline may have been the trigger last time per some research on allergic reactions to that drug. I will continue to follow this forum as it seems that this may be a recurring problem until accurately diagnosed. Symptoms are very tender glans, extreme swelling of flesh immediately below glans. Second episode so severe that fluid actually came through the skin and the skin blistered and sloughed off as swelling reduced. Extremely uncomfortable!! Good luck.
|

replied December 18th, 2012
RE:
Been following thread for a few weeks and I have been dealing with the same issue. Very weird. Starts off, like clockwork, with very tender and swollen glands and the groin area and above/on pubic bone. Lower back begins ache followed by fever, chills and then penis becomes swollen and puffy (edema). Just as quick as it hits it leaves...usually within 24 hours. Left with very swollen penis and testicles that drain through profuse sweating through testicles. So profuse is the sweating (or sloughing as someone called it earlier) that I had to wear an adult diaper last time as it was soaking through my business suit. Have seen PCP, Urologist and infectious disease Dr's...all scratch their heads. Most recent visit was to DR at UPenn in Philly (Infectious Disease). Went there because I have genital herpes (have for 20 years) and was wondering if this was possibly causing it. She didn't think so but said it is possible. Other thoughts (throwing things at the wall) are these episodes seem to occur after a weekend of rich living...Too much beer, red wine, red meat etc...wondering if it is sort of a gout? Anyway, I do appreciate this thread and that I am not alone. I am aggresively pursuing a cause/diagnosis/treatment and will update here as I uncover and rule out things. Thanks to all and good luck.
|

replied January 8th, 2013
i have had the same problem,around 2 years ago i was sitting on sofa and i started to get pain on the right side of my pubic bone. i went to bed and woke up through the night sweating with pain, i felt my pubic bone and there was a swelling and my penis felt itchy, i looked at my penis and it was swollen and twisted. the next day i went to hospital and was told it was probably a hernia and to contact my doctor. My doctor had never seen anything like this and thought it was infection as the swelling on the pubic bone had went down a little,he said hernia's dont go back once they happen they stay popped out. after many pills creams etc etc..the swelling started to go away on its own and the pain also went but it was weeks..(the pain felt like groin strain)..i seem to remember around the time this happened i was asleep and turned over fast through the night and may have twisted something down there..now i had no problems for the past 12 months or so apart from the pubic bone region not feeling 100% after a hard days work,but put it down to groin strain etc as i do a lot of lifting at work..yesterday i was walking the dog and the dog suddenly ran to one side jerking me as he is a big breed..i got in the house and later felt the same pain and now my penis is all twisted and swollen along with a fever...it looks like my penis is full of blood although i have no pain urinating etc..so im back to square one..i am visiting a new doctor tomorow and hope i get sent to urology for further investigation...im worried sick as i am due to start a new job in a couple of weeks..im sure i have a tear of some sort thats all i can put it down to..your not alone folks Sad
|

replied January 9th, 2013
Me too
Me too, i've had the same symptoms like the very first post. Did a blood and urine test the results were fine. I'ts been a week now the swelling is almost gone but still itchy from time to time. I used Aerius as the doctor prescribed, he thought it maybe a kind of allergy but i doubt it. I used Fucidin cream i thought it might fight inflamation. Now a week passed all i can say is cold water helped releif itching and i guess swelling as well. Please keep the thread updated. thanks
|

replied February 8th, 2013
Hi there,

I too have had this recently, started off with groin pain in the left side. Felt a little bump (probably lymph node) was obviously inflamed or swollen if you like. Then the left side of my penis seems a bit swelled up. Had a fever and chills along with muscel aches which started mid afternoon by the next day felt better.

It's still a bit sollwen and sore 5 days later but the goin area has gone down a bit and less pain.

As for what caused or is still causing it I don't know. Thing's I have done different lately are (exercise) weights lifting from bending down position to up right above my head. And exercise bike. (First time exercising in years). So maybe I could have aggravated the area.

Also yes I had sex with my partner, Maybe the two put together aggravated it loads more? Yes it was unprotected sex but as far as I know we both ok for STDs etc.

Ontop of all this I have been drinking a lot and who knows if that just adds to the issue or causes it.

Apart from these things I can only think a normal 24 hour viral infection may have caused it. And 5 days later my body is still recovering?

I would say if any of you have done similar things recently or before you experienced these symptoms then one of them or a few of them might have been the cause.
|

replied March 27th, 2013
Same symptoms: started itching 2 days a go, yesterday left groin area started hurting and today i noticed in the shower the bottom portion of my foreskin was puffy. (circumcised).

Previous things ive done this past weekend: drank heavily for an evening, had unprotected intercourse with my gf(she was on her period) and ate a ton of eggs
|

replied May 9th, 2013
Similar Story
Similar story here, Same symptoms as first post- recently worked out and then noticed the symptoms. I also went out and drank quite a bit a couple days before I noticed the swollen lymph node. I didn't get much sleep the night I went out drinking. Here's my thought. Lack of sleep, over-drinking and exercise can all run down the immune system. I have had recurrent Mononucleosis in the past. It generally happens when I am stressed, have lack of sleep or have bad allergies. I think most of these posts are related to either bacterial or viral infections that have blown up because of a rundown immune system.
|

replied May 17th, 2013
mrsa staph infection
I have had the same symptoms too. Lower right lymph node near the groin is swollen and sore, mid grade fever, and swollen fore skin on the penis. Had a doctor and a surgeon check it out and they informed me that its a bacterial infection called mrsa staph infection. They prescribed an antibiotic for four times a day for ten days. Hopefully it will work.
|

replied July 28th, 2013
Great thread
This is a great thread. I didn't even know this kind of swelling was possible, until I got it this week.

My thing looked like it had swelled three times its size around the head, and the rest got bloated and saggy and deformed-looking. Worst thing ever, looking down to see that.

The doctor thinks it's combination of herpes in your system acting up, with a secondary bacterial infection that drives the watery swelling.

I got Valtrex and Cipro, and it was amazing . . . inside a few hours, all of that watery nasty gunk just leaked out. It looked like my unit was sweating. Still not entirely back to normal, it left the skin ragged and chewed up, but, you know, at least my dick didn't fall off.
|

replied September 22nd, 2013
Swollen scrotum and fever and back ache ETC
Same thing here guys, Sore back and lymph nodes right next to the shaft and swollen scrotum.. I usually get the chills later in the day, Then sweat after, If I go 3-4 days without Prednisone, The shaft will get the size of my wrist. And scrotum swells also. It first happened in 2005 and has prob happened 12-15 times since then.. I have been to 6 doctors, One was a uroligist ( Spelling ) I have had xrays blood tests urine tests, Ultrasound of the sack, Nobody figured anything out,... Excuses from allergic reaction to laundry soap to insect bite etc etc. I am now in Afghanistan and it has happened a few time this year, I take Prednisone ASAP and it is gone in 3 days. I was here intercourse free for 2 months and it happened then 2 months later it happened again.. Now Ive been back from leave for a month and it happened. a few 10-20mg pills of prednisone gets it fixed every time. I was born 3 months premature, am circumcised, I have no kids. I think my swimmers dont swim. Maybe it is all related. Also no alcohol here in afghanistan or intercourse, And I have changed diets a few times. Nothing changes when it happens.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied September 30th, 2013
Help please
Same symptoms as in the first post.
Went to the doctor today and they took a blood and urine sample for test.
I am freaking out, could you please update us with your diagnosis/status now (ARE YOU STILL ALIVE GUYS)I will get back to you with the update when I get the result from my doctor.
Help please....
|
12 >>