Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

swollen painful black finger

After the slightest friction (closing the car door, opening a coke bottle, carrying a shopping bag) my middle finger suddenly swells, turns purple and becomes excruciatingly painful - this can last for several days and after it returns to normal I have to be extremely careful not to aggravate it otherwise it immediately swells up again - this has happened several times and not always to the same finger. I have been told that it is due to my blood vessels being fine or delicate. I am 65 years of age and this started a couple of years back.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

The symptoms described could be due to vascular disorders like raynauds, or due to vasculitis, skin disorders like erythema nodosum, etc

You might benefit by consulting a rheumatologist for proper blood tests and doppler studies, which will provide the proper diagnosis.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.