Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

swollen nasal turbinates (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an 28 yer healthy male who unfortunately abused Otrivine (oxymetazoline nasal drops) for a period of 12 months so as to fight my night time nasal congestion

The last 7 months one of my nostrils is almost completely blocked-the blocked nostril is alternating and I feel pressure on that side. The blockage is there only when I lie down or sit, the blocked nostril opens up when I excercise, run, walk briskly. Why?

I visited many good ENTs. The problem was obvious: enlarged (swollen) turbinates. No nasal discharge and prich test negative so the docs said vasomotor rhinitis

Initially we thought rhinitis medicamentosa. I stopped the oxymetaz. nasal drops and used Nasonex (steroid sspray) and Xozal antohistamine. Neither helped. I switched to Pulmicort/Flexotide steroids -NO relief. Saline just helped with the dryness. Tapered Oral steroids (prednisone) also tried. Very small temporary relief

Being a very active and decisive young man I tried to resolve the situation as soon as possible

-Did a CT scan of the sinuses ALL CLEAR, turbinate shape not abnormal, septum very mildly deviated

-Had prick tests all negative, IgE within normal range

-Had antibody tests against all usual viruses (from HIV to CMV) everything OK

-Had a mucosa sample taken-nothing uncommon

-Had blood count tests-eosinophils were double the normal count but these eventually dropped, the problem was reduced but NOT resolved-the blockage is still there

The only drug that does temporarily help is a nasal spray called Dexarhina (german product which we have in Greece where I live). It has decongestant (so bad due to the rebound) and a steroid put together.

My doctor mentioned Radiofrequency Surgical Turbinate Reduction, to resolve the issue. I am very concerned about:

1) Is what I have typical vasomotor rhinitis? Why can't it resolve with drugs ?(or the problem is that I can't live without drugs...as the congestion comes back)

2) I would like to avoid Radiofreq surgery due to the so called Empty Nose Syndrome (www.emptynosesyndrome.org). Is my fear well-founded? Should I really worry?

3) I (paradoxically) tend to believe I need surgery-otherwise the problem will not resolve. Do you agree with that?

Regards,

Chris
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mentos
|
Users who thank kris80 for this post: sumz 

replied January 7th, 2009
turbinates swollen shut
hi chris

i suffer from the same problem. only afrin works. 500-1000 mgs of pseudoephedrine provides some relief but not worth the risk of taking so much.

i learned the reason for this is that im allergic to dogs, unfortunately mine. i have been taking allergy shots for 5 years to no avail. dont trust the prick test for this as i came up low to dogs on that test. some things your body just reacts to weird i guess. but i only get symptomatic when my dog has been in my home recently. i get it particularly bad when i am in bed or on my sofa, 2 places where my dog spends the majority of her time. i am 100% certain it is because of my dog because when she is away for long periods of time my nasal passages are super clear after i wash the sheets and beat out the dust from the sofa.

in your case since you have it at nite, i imagine it may be mites or something in your bed. before getting surgery i would suggest buying a new mattress pillow sheets and stick to hypoallergenic synthetics rather than down. use a different laundry detergent. theres has got to be something in your environment you are allergic too. do you ever stay in a hotel for a week and how is your nose then?

i clear up too when i go outside. i reckon its from breathing allergen-free air and my hystamine levels subside.

anyways, best of luck and would love to hear from you if you find any other solution to this problem. its nice to know someone else has this. the doctors dont seem to be able to help nor understand what is really going on.
|

replied January 7th, 2009
Hi Chris:

I did get some relief from those nasal strips but they made my nose raw after a while because of the adhesive. I also tried the drugs and the sprays but after a "honeymoon" period they all stopped working. I finally gave in and did the surgery (septoplasty with turbinate reduction). I have to say it's the best thing I've ever done for my overall health. I no longer get ear infections (always on the side with the most congestion), I sleep better and don't need drugs or sprays of any kind. Even if I catch a cold, I'm still able to breathe without a decongestant. Surgery isn't for everyone but the younger you are when you have it done, the easier it is to recover (I waited until I was 40). Best of luck!
Joel
|
Users who thank relaxandenjoy for this post: sumz 

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2009
Experienced User
Cheers Joel, thanks for coming back and letting us hear some good news (I've got the same thing, invisible sinus problems but only seem to hear people go un-cured!)
|

replied December 11th, 2009
Hi Chris,
Did you get any solution regards to your vasomotor rhinitis ? I have exactly the same issue as you have since 1 and a half year and i am worried to go for surgery as they say that it is not much of a success and you can have "empty nose", "bleeding", etc complications later on. Can you advise me some way out ?
I am a 31 year old male.

Hi Joel,
You had undergone a suregery and you are cured now. What surgery did u undergo ? What are the complications in it if i were to undergo it ? I am a 31 year old male. Pls advice me whether i should go for it ? Do you advise for temporary relief ?

I have depressed due to this aliment and my life is not as it was before. Due to this, i also am having upper back pain and neck pain. Pls help.

Thanks,
Sumzz
|

Hi Chris,
Did you get any solution regards to your vasomotor rhinitis ? I have exactly the same issue as you have since 1 and a half year and i am worried to go for surgery as they say that it is not much of a success and you can have "empty nose", "bleeding", etc complications later on. Can you advise me some way out ?
I am a 31 year old male.

Hi Joel,
You had undergone a suregery and you are cured now. What surgery did u undergo ? What are the complications in it if i were to undergo it ? I am a 31 year old male. Pls advice me whether i should go for it ? Do you advise for temporary relief ?

I have depressed due to this aliment and my life is not as it was before. Due to this, i also am having upper back pain and neck pain. Pls help.

Thanks,
Sumzz
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hi Sumzz,

Basically its up to you, you've got to assess how much it means to you to get rid of it and whether its worth the risk. Exhaust all other options first, try all the medications you can from anti-histamines to nasal sprays and see if any of them offer relief. By all means try alternative medicines aswell since they may well offer some relief but be careful not to be sucked in by some of the more expensive treatments.

Surgery is looking like my last resort now, I'm going to have it done since I'm basically dead as it now anyway and have very little to lose. Empty nose syndrome is no longer a problem since they've since developed new ways to the surgery. Bleeding could be a problem but I'm willing to take a risk since all other options have failed in my case.

I hope you find some solution that has eluded me.

Chris
|

Hi Sumzz:

I had a septoplasty with turbinate reduction. I was dizzy for about 12 hours after surgery but that was caused by anesthesia - drugs today are so much better. My surgeon was conservative on turbinate reduction and used the latest techniques so there wasn't any packing in my nose during recovery. I do notice a sensitivity to very cold air because of the turbinate reduction, but it's not much of an issue because I live in CA.

I used the nasal strips before having surgery done and they did provide some non drug relief.
Regards,
Joel
|

replied December 19th, 2009
Hi Chris (kris80 ),
Di you finally go for the surgery ? What are u currently doing to get cured from this ailment? Pls guide. Everyones welcome.
|

replied December 20th, 2009
turbinate surgery
Any one on this have the turbinate reduction due to head and facial pain? My daughter had been in pain for 8 years and recently saw a doctor who recommended this surgery.
|

replied December 20th, 2009
turbinate surgery
Any one on this have the turbinate reduction due to head and facial pain? My daughter had been in pain for 8 years and recently saw a doctor who recommended this surgery.
|

replied September 14th, 2010
please get a ct scan first on your head so u can see where the problem is. I got surgery for turbinate reduction and it was easy and no pain.. i felt good and was able to breath but after a month the congestion is back.....so i am seeing my doctor again..
|

replied April 14th, 2012
The same exact thing happened to me. After several months of trying home remedies (netipot, humidifier, nasal strips) drugs (steroid sprays/pills, antihistamine sprays/pills, and occasional Afrin--the only thing which provided any relief), and getting tested for allergies and infection, my doctor and I exhausted all other options and I had a turbinate reduction. The results were wonderful until a month later when I got a cold. After the cold, my turbinates never reduced to their pre-cold size and have again started to expand.

I've begun trying steroid nasal spays again and have even tried acupuncture in addition to the usual home remedies.

Have you had any relief since your first surgery? Have you had to undergo surgery again? Has a CT scan revealed anything additional?
|

replied November 10th, 2010
Extreme illness to wellness.
I became very ill 3 months ago, with several symptoms. Extreme Fatigue, hands and feet tingling, leg muscle pain, ears ringing, hot & sweating episodes, feeling faint episodes, irritable bowel, etc. Got an MRI & only showed had swollen nasal turbinates. Two weeks ago started taking : Blue Bonnet Liquid whole food Vitamins with antioxidants, herbs and green blends. I researched all ingredients and Choline is supposed to help with allergic rhinitis. All my symtoms are gone except for my ears ringing. I have always had impaired breathing, and for the last few days it feels like I took an antihistamine and can finally breathe!!!!! I also have taken in small doses (less than a pill), Fatigue to Fantastic Adrenal Stress Relief, which may also have an ingredient which is helping, adrenal cortex helps with allergies. It could be a combo of many other ingredients which helped. I also believe the chlorella helped detox my system, and all the other ingredients help heal me. Hope this is helpful.
|

replied March 7th, 2011
Wowza
wow I thought I was the only one with this problem. I've never been able to breathe through both nostrils at once. I never questioned it my whole life because I thought it was normal. Only after getting married to a woman who has exellent hearing and conplains that my nose whistles when I breathe did I figure something was amiss. It does open up but only after excersize will they open up. Unfortunatley I do not have health ins. and haven't been to the doc in 5 years. Only 29 years old and glad I have some ideas of what it could be. The sprays are too addicting and all of them say do not use for more than 3 days or affects will worsen after use.(which they do). Well why the heck do you have to buy that big of a spray for 3 days worth. It doesn't help living in WI either where 3/4 of the year it's cold and can't tell if it's the weather very dry or something else. Although cold weather seems to help clear up the passages. well that's my two bits, good luck to you all.
|

replied March 7th, 2011
Wowza
wow I thought I was the only one with this problem. I've never been able to breathe through both nostrils at once. I never questioned it my whole life because I thought it was normal. Only after getting married to a woman who has exellent hearing and conplains that my nose whistles when I breathe did I figure something was amiss. It does open up but only after excersize will they open up. Unfortunatley I do not have health ins. and haven't been to the doc in 5 years. Only 29 years old and glad I have some ideas of what it could be. The sprays are too addicting and all of them say do not use for more than 3 days or affects will worsen after use.(which they do). Well why the heck do you have to buy that big of a spray for 3 days worth. It doesn't help living in WI either where 3/4 of the year it's cold and can't tell if it's the weather very dry or something else. Although cold weather seems to help clear up the passages. well that's my two bits, good luck to you all.
|
Users who thank Mentos for this post: pamm8577 

replied August 18th, 2011
I have had swollen turbinates since 2008 and I will be the first to say its the most miserable feeling ever. It makes your face hurt the pressure is so uncomfortable in the face, can't breath have been to several ents, I found out mine were swollen due to hormone changes, I had been diagnosed with Addison's disease at the time I started having problems. Its been 3 years and I have tried everything, Afrin works but the rebound symptoms is not worth going through. I can't take steroids because of my disease, I tested negative on allergies, no mucex, just swelling. Has anyone had any swelling in their top gums right below the nasal cavity? I have some unusual swelling in my top gum and it feels like there is a connection. Can swollen turbinates in our nose cause any complications? I am just miserable! Help Please..I can't take this pressure in my head anymore.
|

replied October 6th, 2011
Swollen turbinates
Dear friends,
I have exactly the same problem as Chris. I have had difficult time for the last ten years but during the last year I could not tolerade it at all. My closed nostrils were always in my mind so I started visiting doctors. It was like a tour for me I would not stop If I would not find out what was going on. I have visited cardiologists, allergiologists, lung doctors, mouth nose and throat doctors. After everything I have experienced I would suggest that some of you may have the same problem as I do so check it out. I have a regression and as a result liquids come up the esophagus in the throat and eventually larynx and nose. This causes rhinitis. I am currently trying to deal with it. I hope my post help some of you. wish good luck to all of you. Vasilis
|

replied October 19th, 2011
Turbinates swelling, dry nose
My nose is always dry now. My turbinates swell shut when I lay down. They often swell shut when I sit down. When I first started having the problem, it would happen like clockwork around 7:30. I had been under a lot of stress for years and drinking a lot of coffee. My doctor said allergies, but I had allergies for years and it involved a runny nose, sneezing, etc. No allergy medicine helps this. I cant tell if my dry nose is from the turbinate prob or the other way around. Doctor was no use, sent me also for sinus CT, negative. Steroid nose sprays seem to make it worse. Ended up with a CPAP but that does not good when they really swell up. I gave in and started using Afrin and for a while I felt like my old self, but I'm becoming addicted and I dont want to up the dose. I'm guessing I have some sort of stress/hormone burnout problem or maybe a chemical or mold allergy. I used to get the same problem acutely when I was in a car with a person wearing cheap perfumes, but this happens every night no matter where I sleep. I tried not using soap or shampoo for months, no change. Extreme exercise all day in the sun seems to help, but I cant live my life that way (wish I could). I need to know what the "best and newest and safest" turbinate operation is. Please respond, its ruining my life.
|

replied October 31st, 2011
I also have a major problem with my turbs...I had a septo/rhinoplasty five years ago, but it did not address the turbinates and I have had terrible trouble trying to get a breath in!

I've been to at least three different ENT's who all seem to have different ideas...some say "try this spray" or "have this minor procedure done" but NOTHING has helped me. Like others have said, exercise, outdoor air, and Afrin help, but I try to hold off the Afrin because it's way too addicting.

My docs told me that turb reduction surgery could be an option but that they don't like to do too much up there since it can result in a "dry nose" situation...well I don't know, I really can't imagine anything being worse than this!

You know it's bad when people constantly think you're sick because you are all plugged up in the nose, even though you could blow into a tissue as hard as you can and have virtually nothing come out! Also, waking up gagging with a dry throat at night because of breathing through the mouth so hard is becoming nearly unbearable.

Anyone else know what to do?

- A suffering 23-year-old otherwise-healthy male
|

replied November 27th, 2011
Have you tried sinus rinse and nasal saline gel?
|

replied November 29th, 2011
swollen turbinate
I have turbinates as well and it is so frustrating because I have difficulty breathing. I also can't sleep at night so I always sleep at 1am-3am which is not good for me as I won't be able to get enough sleep and I have school the next day. I went to the doctor and he told me to use Alanase 100 nasal spray for about 2-3 months and I've only used it for about a couple of weeks ao I am hoping the turbinates will be gone soon.

Do anyone of you know any natural remedies to reduce turbinates...?
|
12 >>