Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Swollen lymph nodes on a 20 month old

My 20 month old son has swollen lymph nodes on the back of his head, neck and groin area. His pediatrician did a CBC and his lymphocyte count was elevated but there were no signs of "blasts" (I don't know what that means). He has had them for 4 months now and he is always cranky and runs a mild fever often. She said to keep an eye on him and she would re-check him in December when we have his 2 year appointment. I'm worried if it's something like cancer that I'm letting precious time go by. Should I see an ENT for this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2010
Lymphoma typically causes painless (and progressive) enlargement of one or more lymph nodes. On the other hand, tender, painful lymph nodes are generally caused by infection or inflammation.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide a specific diagnosis over the Internet to patients with concerns regarding enlarged lymph nodes. Therefore, you might ask your son's pediatrician if a consultation with a pediatric hematologist/onvologist would be appropriate.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.