Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Swollen Lymph Node with goiter ???

I have a diffuse goiter that is non-toxic. My doctor, has me on suppressive therapy to reduce it's size. My sister, had thyroid cancer but I am told that I don't have nodules so that is not the case with me, thank God. However, I have a lump just above the goiter on the left side just under my jaw line. It seems to follow the path of the lymph system and goes down to my collar bone. On the other side I have a smaller lump just above my collar bone. My endocrinologist just said that I should have it checked out but that it is not related to my thyroid. I should also, mention that is has been there for about a month and a half and I have not been sick at all. My question is this, is it possible that the goiter is putting pressure on something else in my neck that causes the normal drainage of the lymph nodes to be blocked, thus causing the swelling? I am wondering this because the goiter is bigger on the left side which is where most of the swelling is occuring. I am a 33 year old female and I am in surgical menopause (this may not have a thing to do with anything but I thought I would mention it). Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I'll suggest you to get these swollen lymph nodes examined.

Are you experiencing difficulties with swallowing, trouble breathing and hoarseness?
|

replied July 10th, 2008
Swollen Lymph nodes with goiter??
No, trouble swallowing or breathing but my voice seems a bit deeper (goiter, mabe?). I went to the doctor yesterday and she said, the most common reason for swelling is an infection. However, she couldn't find any infection. She put me on Augmentin 875mg in the event that there was an infection that she couldn't see......???????? Anyway, she said to try this for at least 10 days but to wait two weeks to see if the swelling goes down. She also, mentioned lymphoma which scared me to death. She said, that though the lump was large, the other patients she had seen with lymphoma had much larger lumps. I am hoping she is right! Lymphoma never entered my mind. I truely, thought that something wasn't draining right. Thanks, for responding to my question. Have you ever heard of such a thing?
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It's true that first swollen lymph nodes when lymphoma is suspected are found in neck and above collarbone area.

Are you experiencing appetite loss and drenching night sweats?
Do you have severely itchy skin, often affecting the legs and feet?
|

replied February 13th, 2009
Swollen lymph nodes combined with other signs and symptoms are a common reason people, particularly children, visit their doctors. Most often, lymph nodes swell and become inflamed as a result of an infection. However, there are many possible causes of swollen lymph nodes, including autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, noncancerous (benign) tumors and cancer. The lymph nodes that most frequently swell are in your neck, under your chin, in your armpits and in your groin. Treatment for inflamed, swollen lymph nodes, also known as lymphadenitis, depends on the cause. For more serious cases, treatment of swollen lymph nodes involves treating the underlying cause. You may want to see a doctor and tell him about this. Good luck.
|

replied February 26th, 2009
me too!
I also have a goiter - the right lobe of my thyroid is larger than the other. I have Hashimoto's (an autoimmune disease where the antibodies attack your thyroid).
I also have a very swollen node just above the goiter on the right side. It seems smaller at times, but often swells large enogh to ache and be painful. I told my doctor about this over the phone and she seemed unconcerned. However, this has been going on for months, and can be painful enough to make it feel like my thyroid and the whole area around my throat all the way out to my right jaw is aching deeply.
I hav read that sometimes a swollen node near the thyroid can be associated with Hashimoto's, and also with thyroid cancer.
Does anyone else have any information?
By the way, a side note for hellogirl - when I got the goiter, my TSH was normal. However, because my mother had Hashimitis, I insisted on the antibody test. My antibodies were thousands of points higher than the normal range, which indicated Hashimotos. You may want to talk to your doctor about this, because many GP's use only the TSH test to screen for normal thyroid function, which is not comprehensive every time.
|

replied March 31st, 2009
enlarged lymph node--mine was thyroid cancer
I had a consistently enlarged lymph node in my neck for almost 2 years that turned out to be thyroid cancer.

My doctors were not concerned, but I was, and continued to push for follow up and tests. All along I was told nothing was wrong. Once we finally found nodules on the thyroid, I was consistently told there was a very low chance it was cancer, etc.

It took 2 years to get a diagnosis, which did not occur until I went in for thyroid surgery--literally while I was on the operating table. My TSH levels were normal all the way through. Whatever nodules were on my thyroid did not get detected for about 1.5 years--my guess is they were too small to be felt on exam, even though the cancer was in there.

Initially, I was told it (the lymph node) could not be biopsied due to its location (along the corotid artery). Later, another doctor said it could be--by using an ultrasound guided biopsy--but we were close to my (thyroid) surgery date so I opted not to.

An ultrasound can also be done on a persistent, enlarged lymph node--I asked the radiologist to "look" at it while I was in there for an ultrasound-guided biopsy of my thyroid. We discovered calcifications in the lymph node, which FINALLY lit a fire under my ENT to schedule surgery.
|

replied April 8th, 2009
having surgery
I was recently told by my endocrinologist that my thyroid biopsy showed a 70% liklihood that I have a follicular variant of papillary carcinoma. I am only 27 which is by most standards considered young for this diagnosis. In 8 days I am having a partial thyroidectomy, my thyroid nodule is about 4 cm, which is pretty big.
But about the swollen lymph nodes, several of them in my neck are very swollen. I had an ultrasound of them 3 days ago, but the radiologist couldent' be sure at that point wether the swelling is from an infection or related to my thyroid. I was started on an antibiotic just in case. When I find out more I will post a message in case it is in any way helpful to you.
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
I think that's a good sign of a good recovery. Progress looks good and positive. Keep it up!
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
Thyroid nodule and swollen lymph nodes
I am 36 and have had a sore throat for over 12mths, no infections found on swabs. I have had a hoarse/gruff voice all my life. At an examination at GP surgery Dr. found swollen lymph nodes, an ultra sound scan then confirmed 5mm thyroid nodule and few swollen lymph nodes. Biopsy was clear (march 09') but the lymph nodes are still swollen and are quite painful especially if they are touched. I get head aches in the back of my head just above the biggest node in my neck. I am due to see ENT consultant Jan 2010......any ideas pls this is driving me crazy!!
|

replied October 12th, 2010
I am 26 and have a thyroid goiter. Left side is 6cm, right side 5. I am having a biopsy done next week, but my tonsils keep swelling up to where its hard to swallow and painful. Is this related??
|