Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Swollen Lymph Node on Left Side of neck

Hello - I am a 28 year old female and am really concerned as I have had a swollen lymph node under my left jawline for almost 8 weeks now. It especially hurts when I consume any alcohol. I spoke to my doctor about it almost two weeks ago and she ordered a blood test and an ultrasound on the node. I am waiting for the results but find that the pain is progressing and to be very honest I am panicking about the possibility of Lymphoma (my doctor is on vacation this week hence why I won't get my results until next week). Also, and I"m not sure if this means anything at all, I have been having a bit of ear pain in my right ear, alongside a sore neck and back (but I have always had sore muscles so I'm not sure if this relates).

Would LOVE any insight you can provide.

A Concerned Woman
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2010
Lymphoma typically causes painless (and progressive) enlargement of one or more lymph nodes. On the other hand, tender, painful lymph nodes are usually caused by infection or inflammation.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide a specific diagnosis over the Internet to patients with concerns regarding enlarged lymph nodes. Therefore, my advice is for you to see your doctor for an examination. If you have persistently enlarged lymph nodes (and especially if they continue to enlarge), then a biopsy may become necessary to rule-out lymphoma, or other cancers involving the lymph nodes.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race" (2010)

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied January 24th, 2011
As a cancer survivor of lymphoma I know what it feels like to be worried. Some of the major symptoms are; unexpected weight loss, fatigue, night sweats, and not having an appitite. Do you have any of these symptoms?
|

replied May 16th, 2011
i am expierncing the same problem as you, except i am younger and male. i have counted 4 lymph nodes swollen on my left side of my neck and also have been expierncing back pains and constant aches on my left shoulder. my docter told me tis a natrual thing but ive had the first one for over 3 months now and im worried that it may be something serious.
|

replied May 19th, 2011
Do you think that seems natural? Get a second opinion.
|

replied October 30th, 2012
Enlarged Lymph Nodes
I am 32 year old female having same problem. I just noticed the bump on my left neck two nights ago. I was feeling extremely tired at the time.

I've been having constant diarrhea for many month now and muscle weakness for a couple of weeks, severe joint pain all over my body about 4 nights ago. My left side shoulder, chin and upper arm have minimal pain and stiffness.

I went to see a doctor yesterday for slightly swollen neck with all these symptoms and he said it is coming from the stress.

He said that lymph node enlargement is due to the collection of increased white blood cells. And this happens usually because of bacterial infection or inflammation. He asked me of I was sick or have fevers in recent past. But my answer was no. I was feeling tired and weak but not sick. And slight cold like symptoms came and gone for few times but nothing remotely serious. I didn't even have to take medication for that.

He told me to wait for 2-3 days to see if the swelling goes down. If not, then take antibiotics for 10 days. If it doesn't go down after all that then he will order extra tests.

Now, after a rest and 20 mins power walk, it went down a little but as the night approaches the pain and stiffness came back. and the swelling seems to be back as well.

He also mentioned that there are too many different reasons that can cause the enlargement of lymph nodes. And it is hard to find the actual reason by just with symptoms.
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2012
Painful swelling - less chance of lymphoma
Do not expect weight loss
An early detection is the first medicine in Cancer treatment !!!
Do not worry !!!
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.