Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Swollen lymph node near groin (Page 1)

I've just noticed in the past few days what appears to be one swollen lymph node on the right side of my groin area (inguinal area). I am female. It isn't very big and is not painful. I have no other swollen lymph nodes and no other symptoms. I am worried this is lymphoma or some other type of cancer. What are the odds? I am a 30 year-old otherwise healthy white female. I'm scared and haven't been to my doc yet as I just discovered this.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Get257healthy
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2009
Supporter
Swollen lymph nodes are an indication that your body is fighting off an infection. This could be a minor infection, in which case, the lymph nodes will go back to normal soon. I get swollen lymph nodes behind/below my ears all the time but they always go away.
When to see a doctor
Some swollen lymph nodes return to normal when the underlying condition, such as a cold, resolves. However, see your doctor if you're concerned or if your swollen lymph nodes:

Have appeared for no apparent reason
Continue to enlarge, or have been present for more than two weeks
Feel hard or fixed
Are accompanied by fever, night sweats, or unexplained weight loss
Are accompanied by a sore throat or by difficulty swallowing or breathing
Are red, warm and tender
|

Thank you for the reply. I have no other symptoms as I feel great. I just noticed the swollen gland in the groin area while showering otherwise I may not have known it was there.
So what are the possibilities it's lymphoma?
I'm a 30 year old female with no other health concerns and the only cancer that has occurred in my family is colon.
Thanks
|

User Profile
Supporter
I was going to give you a list of symptoms of lymhoma but, since the lymph nodes are all over the body they affect too many areas and cause too many symptoms to list. If you're truly worried about lymphoma, your best bet is to get checked out by your doctor. I have no idea if your age has any influence on this disease or not.
|

replied May 13th, 2009
Swollen Node on ride side of neck
about a month and a half ago i discover what appears to be a swollen node on the right side of my neck i thought it seemed to be a little large but i went to 2 different doctors with both telling me it felt normal as compared to the abnormalities they have felt before. i felt better for a few days after hearing tht but im a chronic google symptom surfer and a worrier on top of tht. i show no other symptoms of anything like lymphoma but i just wonder if i should still be concerned. im a 19 year old college student and feel basically at the top of my game as most of us do at this point in our lives.

anybody have any idea if i shuld be further concerned ?!?!!?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2009
Supporter
You've gotten two different medical opinions. If you're not feeling any pain or discomfort, if the area is not hot to the touch... I think you're fine.
|

replied June 11th, 2009
swollen lymph node in groin area (female)
my wife has a swollen lymph node in her groin are for a long time and is painful at times. she seems to be getting nowhere with this problem despite hospital visits and her GP involved. She can be in a lot of pain sometimes. I would appreciate any advice.

Alan
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2009
Supporter
I don't know what to tell you, Alan. I don't know enough about this to go against her doctors' advice. The only thing I can think to do is treat the underlying cause, the infection or illness, and hope the swelling goes away. For temporary relief she can apply warm compresses to the area and take an over the counter pain reliever.
|

replied January 7th, 2010
Can I has opinion?
deteragram, perhaps you can help me here...

I'm a 25 year old female, and I recently discovered a swollen lymph node in my left groin area. It doesn't hurt very much, and isn't preventing me from doing anything, and I have no other symptoms. My case is much like the OPs. Ibuprofen seems to somewhat take the swelling down, what's going on here?
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2010
Supporter
All I can do is repeat what I said earlier. I was told by my doctor that swollen lymph nodes most often mean that your body is fighting off some kind of illness or infection. I have had swelling due to an ear infection and even severe allergies. If it does not go away on its own within a week or gets worse, I would see a doctor. Until then, keep taking the ibuprofen and try warm compresses to ease the pain.
Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2013
Lymphomo Cancer
Let me put my 2 cents in on the groin Lymphnode. I found mine 6 wks ago and after ct scans, and biospy, I was just told I have lymohoma cancer. I see my cancer dr. tomorrow. It didn't hurt when I first found it but it does now, not enough to take anything but I do a lot of walking while vollenteering and it hurts. I am a 69yo female very active and healthy. don't mess around with this, if you have a problem check with your dr.lumphom
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2010
SWOLLEN LYMPH NODE, RIGHT SIDE GROIN AREA, very painful.
ok so I have a swollen lymph node in my groin area. Its on the right side in the horizontal node area (basically my panty line but horizontally) I am 19 years old and a female. When touched or pressure is applied it hurts, and when it is not touched I get sharp pains to both sides of my groin area and lower back. I have gone to the doctors and my doc has me on antibiotics for 10 days. The lymph node still hasnt gone away or gone down. Its about the size of a marble and its hard. My 10 days are almost up and I am getting a little freaked out. Also, I am very weak and very tired all the time. All I want to do is sleep. Any suggestions as to what may or may not be happening?
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2013
go aee another dr. or ask your dr to do a CT scan to check it out for sure. If it is cancer it is an easy one to be cleared up. I have talked to a lot of people that have had this problem but no more. I do not like taking Chemo but for this problem I will do it.
|

replied April 21st, 2010
I have the same thing except I''m 14 and I have allergies. I''ve been getting the same exact symptoms as you have. My doctor said that this swelling of the gland is probably because I have allergies and my immune system is responding to the allergies with the swollen lymph nodes. She put me on antibiotics too for ten days to help my immune response go back to normal...*sigh* that probably means i''ll be getting diarrhea for the next ten days.
|

replied May 21st, 2010
I am a 25 year old female and i have had a swollen lymph node for almost 2 years despite numerous visits to the er and my primary care dr. they just tell me it is because i had a c section with my daughter and the scar tissue has pushed it closer to the surface. but i always been very petite always have been but i have lost a lot of weight i am now at 92 lbs. and 5 5 and i am always fatigued and just sickly, i have sharp pain on the spot and sometimes sneezing wrong or bending will drop me to my knees and antibiotics and the drs. seem to think it will go away by itself. Should i make a stronger case when i speak to my dr.
|

replied June 17th, 2013
Has your doctor suggested testing for sarcoidosis? It often presents with swollen lymph nodes, weight loss, fatigue and general feeling of being "sickly".
|

replied May 21st, 2010
I think you should because you're losing weight over a lymph node and that doesnt seem healthy, especially with your hieght, you shouldnt weight less than a 100 pounds.
|

replied January 12th, 2011
i have a question....
i've been having swollen lymphnodes in my groin area (Both left and right) but i havent had any pains.
This hasn't stopped me from my training, or any other physical sports.
Is it normal? would i have some kind of STD or something?!
|

replied July 26th, 2011
Hey everyone! Im responding b/c I have recently discovered an enlarged right inguinal node associated with thigh & buttock pain. Im also an RN. I think thats worse b/c I know too much & my nurse's mind goes wild with crazy diagnoses. But in most cases enlarged nodes are ur body's response to an infection, allergy or injury(current or post-recovery in regards to all). But LAZYMAMA-you need bloodwork & a CT Scan b/c to me it sounds like an inguinal or strangulation hernia. Is the area bulging when you cough or sneeze? How is apetite? We all need to advocate for ourselves if we feel that something is TRULY WRONG b/c no one else will. LAZYMAMA I am concerned for your health and the fact that ur losing weight and feel sickly..thats no good.A 25 y.o woman with a baby should b able to run around after her and enjoy her child.Please get to your doctor & get referral to an immunologist and be your own advocate for your health. good luck and god bless- Kate RN
|
Users who thank Get257healthy for this post: tammyb 

replied October 4th, 2011
I am at my wits end! If it wasn't for my faith and my family, I'd be depressed. I have had two c-sections, one hysterectomy, three laproscopies to remove cysts, fibroid tumors, and scar tissue. After my 3rd lap., I developed NEVER-ENDING, swollen pain in the lymph node in the right of my groin. The area is very swollen and hot but it is not hard. It is soft like a water blister. NO ONE will give me a proper diagnosis. I have been on a long list of tier 3 & 4 prescribed narcotics. My body builds tolerance and the dosage is increased. I have not been able to work for two years. I am tired of my pain management doctor masking the pain with meds. She says it's permanent and accept that I will take strong narcotics for life. This can't be! The pain is beyond belief and non-stop. Can scar tissue cause this and is there a solution other than narcotics strong enough for terminal cancer patients? Help? Please?
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
Hi i think you might have HS...its called Hidradenitis Supportiva. I have just been diagnosed after 2 long years of being told its folliculitis...Its is extremely painful...Find a good surgeon and internal dr...I did not take any one particular dr. advice untol I saw the surgeon..he said its mostly women that get it..plus as far as allergies, you might have one..just something you might love that triggers it and you dont really know. Look it up because it helped me a great deal and try changing your diet and lifestyle esp. if its unhealthy.
|

replied October 1st, 2011
Hello I am a 25 year old female and i am having the same problem as many of the other post, but my main concern is that my Lymph node is PAINFUL, and when I touch the node is about the size of a bean, sometimes with out touching it it hurts and i can feel a very sharp pain. Now this is not the first time it happened (sorry but what Im about to share is a little bit to detail but just need help and maybe someone is going through the same.)The first time I notice this it was probably like 2 years ago and it was while having an orgasm (vibrator) it kind of felt like something rupture and the pain was horrible, but went away whith in a week or so, and now is back and very painful specially during intercourse..please help if any one outhere know what this might be. Thanks everyone..
|

replied November 20th, 2011
I, too, am having the same problem in both the right and left areas of my panty lines. I discovered it because while exercising I began to experience excruciating pain when I'd turn a certain way; afterward when I began to take off on a foot, I'd limp because of the pain. I went to the doctor (Gyn) and he too, gave me antibiotics for 10 days. I'm really thick in both inner thighs and I had to feel first and find the lump before I could let the doctor feel. I didn't notice any real pain the first 5 days but yesterday, I'm limping again due to the right-side. I'd never heard of lymph nodes in this area before until I went to the doctor. It appears this is becoming a common thing; however, we really need a one-size fits all prognosis if anyone has it.
|

replied January 12th, 2012
pain in right groin area
I too have had pain in my right groin area, but no swelling. I am 50 yrs old. I have had positive ana and ra blood tests and they are looking into that, but no one seems to be able to address the groin/thigh/abdominal pain. Is it linguinal ligament? Lymph node? Help. It has affected my ability to bear weight on right leg and bend forward, whether pulling weeds, plugging something in, or reaching out while standing on right leg. Help from anyone?
|

replied January 19th, 2012
I noticed a hard lump on the right side of my groin a few weeks ago and it's not gone away. Having a feel of it I can get hold of it but it feels fixed to me. It's not causing any pain as such in itself but then I often find it difficult to distinguish different pain due to severe sciatica and lower back pain.
However over the last few months I have been feeling as though my throat is a little swollen and my sinuses are also always enlarged. Are the linked? Should I get this checked out?
I don't feel unwell as such and have no other lumps in any of the more common areas. I often get swollen glands under my arms when I'm run down but they're ok at the minute and they also go away on their own.
|

replied February 22nd, 2012
Hi I'm 37 and my lymph node on my right side of my groin swells up and I get fever in my leg and chills. It also makes it hard to breathe but once I apply alcohol to my leg and cold packs the pain goes away in a few days. can someone help me??
|
12 >>