Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Immune Disorders Forum

Swollen lips and cheek

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
User Profile
I woke up with swollen lips and swollen left side cheek. I went to the ER and they injected epineprhine , cortisone, and benadryl, they did a ct to rule out a stone in the salivary gland. I was sent home with cortisone tablets and benadryl. It has been 24 hours, my face is still puffy, my lips are better, my left hand feels puffy. My left side lymph glands are very sore. If it is a allergic reaction to some allergen how long will the swelling remain? They did not run blood tests at the ER is there a chance this might be something else? My other symptoms have been gastrointestinal: days of constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, off and on.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2010
Immune Disorders Answer A13243
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the probable allergic reaction to some unknown antigen with swollen left side cheek, swollen lips.
Slight reactions with mild symptoms usually respond to nonprescription allergy medications. An oral antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) may be used along with steroids. These medications should be taken for only a few days. The pathophysiology of allergic responses can be divided into two phases. The first is an acute response that occurs immediately after exposure to an allergen. This phase can either subside or progress into a "late phase reaction" which can substantially prolong the symptoms of a response, and result in tissue damage. After the chemical mediators of the acute response subside, late phase responses can often occur. This is due to the migration of other leukocytes such as neutrophils, lymphocytes, eosinophils and macrophages to the initial site. The reaction is usually seen 2–24 hours after the original reaction. Cytokines from mast cells may also play a role in the persistence of long-term effects.
You must keep consultation with your personal physician as the diagnosis cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Immune Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.