Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

swollen legs and itchy rash

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
My 78 yo father developed swollen legs from knee to ankle along with a itchy rash on them. PCP can not find the answer. They have prescribed antibiotics and hydorcortisone creams. The problem continues after a month. He went to an infectious disease dr as he has had shingles and lyme disease the past 2 yrs. He has High blood pressure. Any ideas of what this may be and should he see a cardiologist?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like your father is experiencing a case of dermatitis or eczema (inflammation of the skin).
Dry skin due to increased age and swelling due to poorly functioning leg veins, are predisposing factors for this condition.
Gravitational dermatitis or eczema is a itchy rash that appears at the swollen lower legs of elderly.
The legs are red, scaly and itchy.
Swelling is also a feature of eczema.
Further, it can be complicated by nummular or discoid eczema (pink, red, brown well-defined patches with a dry cracked surface or bumpy, blistered or crusted surface).
Discoid eczema can be extremely itchy and the rash may persist for weeks or months.
There is chance for bacterial secondary infection of eczema rash.

Consult dermatologist for eczema and vascular surgeon for possible vein problems.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied March 9th, 2011
Edema of ankle with very itchy rash on lower leg.
I am 63 year old female who is experiencing this very problem right now. I hae been to 3 different drs. and none of them have come up with a solution. I was just put on doxycycline 100mgs 2x/day. What can help the horrible itching ? It drives me nuts.
Thank you.
|

replied April 24th, 2011
I'm not an MD but I was a nurse who has practiced in about every field of natural therapy. My husband had this, He is an MD, but he couldn't get rid of it. First make sure your not on any meds that could be causing this, If your legs are swollen this can cause severe itching, try soaking your legs put a little tea tree oil in the water you need to get some circulation to your legs try some pressure socks,and if you can try to get someone to massage the legs upward.or try it your self. You can get tea tree oil at any drug store, it stinks but it's a great thing to have around you can put directly on the itching if it don't help in the water,keep your legs elevated.They also make a cream called arnica that can be massaged into legs, so first soak in tea tree oil and water then massage arnica in legs moving upward,then put on pressure socks ans then elevate legs. I hope this helps, also make sure your blood sugar is ok and that your heart is healthy, have they checked your legs for PAD?
|

replied May 20th, 2012
My husband, 76 yrs. old, has diabetes (no injections)and has been told his heart is O.K. He has had pain in legs for quite some time, and now has to use a walker. A Dr. did tests and said he has anarrowing of the spine, and needs an operation. At present his legs are terribly swollen, and have red spots on them. this make it very hard to walk. His Dr. wants him to see a
vascular Dr. before an operation. But he could only get an appointment in 6 weeks. Why isn't this treated as an emergency? He feels terrible all the time. Drs. don't even seem to care much how you feel.
|

replied July 15th, 2012
itchy scabby
my father is suffering from itching on his legs and arms but legs are the worst. they look to be swollen severly ,he is using a special cream for a skin disorder and is seems to help a bit but he still itches. i have no idea what it is ,he wont go to the docter because he apperently doesnt have time. im going to get him to go to the docter ASAP.
|

replied September 5th, 2012
Firey leg rash
I have the same thing. Now my feet are doing the same.
I was in the water on the Gulf Coast after the spill.
I just read about the BP rash. None of the diagnosis have fit the symptoms I have except that. After the winds from this hurricane came through, the rash has blown back up. Scary!!
|

replied September 18th, 2012
Tight Itchy lower legs
My 81 yr old mother is on 1x25mg Bendroflumethiazide, 1x50mg Atenolol, 1x75mg Clopidogrel per day. She has tight,itchy lower legs which are beginning to affect her walking. Is it the tablets that are causing this problem ? Should she be asking to change the tablets or could it be caused by something else. She had a TIA some three months ago.
Regards
S, Smith
|

replied February 18th, 2013
Tight calves and iching
I am 55 and have had swollen lower legs for sometime to the point of being tight, which did itch. I went to my GP and he said my blood pressure was a b it high and and we decided on trying a "water pill". It indeed reduced my swelling tremendously and my itching went away completely. Now my BP is under control and I stopped the water pill meds, and my calves became tight again after a few weeks and the itching and tightness resumed. I use witch hazel and it really works well and does not sting and is bought over the counter and cheap too. Good Luck
|

replied July 3rd, 2013
It sounds like you are getting the edema back in your legs ,Y ou may need to go back on the lasix . Better yet is to find the under lying cause of the swelling . You want to ma ke sure your heart is is good shape and your not getting congestive heart failure , it's easily tested, also pad they can check your legs to make sure with a Doppler. At night prop your legs and wear compression socks, The swelling will cause itching. You may want to see a cardiologist ,just to be on the safe side, Until then eat plenty of antioxidants, Blueberry's ,broccoli the spices, Ginger and Tuneric are natural antinflammatorys and garlic great for the heart, green tea is a good diuretic, Lots of natural remedy's.
|

replied June 16th, 2013
Hi, i am 25 yrs old and currently am going thru some problem. My lower legs(boths) started with red pathes and itches only at night. I didnt really bothered as i assumed it was just mosquito bites, but after two weeks it gotten worse, both my lower leg from knee to ankle are badly swollen and with red pathces everywhere of the leg, and some patches looks like bruises. What can i do about it? I have yet to consult any doc.
|

replied August 3rd, 2013
Itchy, rash, swollen legs
I also had terrible itching, swelling and eventually a rash on my legs, and itching on my arms. My legs looked like a rocky road. Hot and skin peeled. Saw two doctors, thought it was a contact dermatitis. took two Zyrtec daily with a benadrl at night. Also used a cream, Triamcinolone Acetonide .1% the upped it to .5% as the lesser didn't work. Took 6 weeks and it still itches slightly and I am now just taking 1 Zyrtec which is is the normal for me. For the longest time I couldn't figure it but I might stumbled on it. I was on the computer compareing Oxyclean to Borax to see if the ingrediants were the same. They aren't. But someone posted that they both worked well as a detergent boost, but she could not use the Borax as it caused her to itch and get a rash. I had tried Borax and I am wondering if perhaps that had caused my problem. I have since gone to Tide laundry without scent or color and not additives and no bounce in the drier. I have use a body lotion that also works for me, it is Aveeno with oatmeal. The dermatologist recommended an oatmeat bath, which I did not do, but she did recommend cool wet clothes on my legs, which I did and it really felt good. I think this is behind me now. At least I hope so.
|