Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Swollen Kidney due to urine obstruction.

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I have a solitary right kidney. On 10th Jan 2010, I found my creatinine level is 4.5 and my kidney got swollen due to urine obstruction in ureter. On 25th Jan 2010, I had gone for surgery and they placed one DJ stunt to remove the obstruction in ureter. But after this surgery my creatinine level dramatically jumps to 7.5.

As per my doctor’s suggestion, on 10th Feb 2010, I have started hemodialysis to reduce the workload on kidney and it would get recover soon. But after 2 months on 24th April 2010 (creatinine level is 5.0), I had gone to kidney transplantation. Now my creatinine level is 1.5.

Now my question is, would it be possible to recover my native kidney? If yes, how much would it take to recover fully?

Please give me your views.

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on ehealth forum.

It seems that you had only one kidney to begin with and then you underwent a renal transplantation, as a result of dysfunction in your native kidney.

In such a case, if the initial cause of renal dysfunction in your native kidney has been successfully treated, and there is no severe damage to the native kidney, chances are that it can recover its function to some extent. The time to recovery may take 6 months to one year.

The exact percentage depends on the complete medical history, clinical findings and the efficacy of the treatment given. Since this is not available, exact details and time taken cannot be provided.

You might consult a nephrologist, who can go over your medical history and then advice you accordingly.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.