Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Swollen feet and ankles with broken teeth

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
User Profile
I am a 53 year-old male on the road to a healthy-eating and (more) exercising lifestyle. I have severly swollen feet and ankles. The bottoms of my feet also tingle. This has been going on before the dietary change. My teeth are gradually breaking off (a couple near-front ones removed) and one on its way. Can you give me an idea as to the problem? Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2010
Foot Disorders Answer A16483
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
Your concern is regarding swollen feet and ankles with tingling in the bottom of feet with gradually breaking teeth.
There are a host of causes for swollen feet and ankle.Sometimes diseases that affect the entire body, such as heart disease and kidney or liver failure, can result in excess fluid buildup (edema) that is often concentrated in the legs and feet, leading to swelling not only of the ankles but also of the feet and lower legs. This can also occur with obstruction of the venous system, as may occur with obesity.Tingling in the bottom of feet could be due to neuropathy for which there are multiple causes including diabetes.Breaking of teeth can result from internal causes like extreme mastication (which usually only results in chipping), gum disease (gingivitis) which undermines root structure, making teeth susceptible to cracking (under torque) and multiple cavities (from poor hygiene or systemic deficiencies) which weaken the remaining enamel, thus leading to fissures and separations.In your case it might also be the result of process of aging due to gradual wear and tear.
You must consult your personal physician for definitive diagnosis as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Foot Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.