Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Swollen ear lobe after piercing

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I went to Claire's to get my ears pierced for the first time. After a couple days, my right ear lobe got swollen! THERE IS NO DISCHARGE WHATSOEVER OR ANY BLEEDING!
Can you tell me what is happening? Do I need to seek medical help? It is a bit tender to the touch, but it is not red or bruised. I am 14, when I got my ears pierced not too long ago... CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG??? Shocked
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Notorious
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Did they give you instructions how to take care of your ears after this procedure?

You may have an infection trying to start or the earring itself may be too snug.
|

replied January 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hey yeh it sounds like you have a infection in your ear where they pierced it i had this problem when i had mine done although this was years ago but i did not clean mine properly the way they told me to are you cleaning yours properly? Jenny
|

replied May 4th, 2009
swelling
you could have knocked it while you were sleeping, don't panic, if its not hot to the touch or crusty you've just irritated the area. i did exactly the same thing to my thirds. just put a cold compress on it, take some painkillers and just to be safe, swab it with disinfectant. also don't touch it if you can.

It also depends on how much it has swollen if its only a little bit then don't worry if its severe seek medical attention.
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2009
Surely to reduce swelling, you should put a warm compress on it to increase blood flow to the area rather than a cold compress?
Just a thought - I had a particularly bad piercing at the top of my ear which wouldn't stop bleeding for about 8 hours. I called up the man who pierced it for me and he said to put a warm compress on it, which didn't help the bleeding in the slightest! A cold compress soon stopped the bleeding... So I'm guessing you should maybe try the opposite?
Apologies if I'm wrong... Please tell me if I am!
|

replied January 29th, 2011
Some advise
Being a little swollen and tender to touch is normal..

However, I would suggest that after about 2 weeks try a sea salt soak to ease the piercing.

Putting a warm or cold compress is not going to help it because a warm compress increases the blood flow allowing your ear to be more sensative to bacteria - on the other hand a cold compress limits the blood flow which means a delayed healing time.

Being swollen can be a side effect of over-cleaning or not enough care.. just so your sure ill give you some things which might help:

*When you wake up, take an earbud and run it under warm water then gently wash the outside of the piercing hole. Then spray your soultion and move the earring forward and back - then with a paper towel (not a towel because they harvest bacteria) wipe away the excess moisture.
*Repeat this step at night
(In some cases, because everyone is different - you may wish to clean it 3 times a day)

*In addition, twice a week you can do a sea salt soak- which half a tablespoon of sea salt to every 50mls of a little more than warm water. Then get a cotton ball and dunk it into the mixed sea salt water and hold on front and back piercing for 5minutes each. -
Then rinse off with warm water and leave

Sea salt is filled with natural minerals which eliminate the bacteria within the piercing.

I hope this heaps,
|

replied January 29th, 2011
Hi zigemyster,
I think ears don't need to clean frequently because ear contains a wax that not to need to remove. in fact, ear wax is an important part of your body's system for keeping dirt, bacteria and other things from causing hearing problems. Yet you can clean your ear one day in a week.
Tace care!
Blaise.
|

replied August 30th, 2011
god my ear lobe is slowlin bledding and crusty what should i do
|

replied November 24th, 2011
My ear got pierced a couple of days ago and its really hurting, my earring is to tight and when i try to loosen it it comes out and the ear becomes more swollen and its hard to get the earring back in. it was bleeding today because i fell off of a trampline. i clean it once a day, but i read the back of the cleaner that my piercing person gave to me and it says to wash it three time a day and rotate the earring at least 3 times a day. my ear is super tender, it's getting to the point where i want to take them out and let them close up
|

replied January 12th, 2012
I have 6 piercings and I got another one last week, like midway up my ear between the cartilage and the lobe. I have my cartilage and 2 in the lobe and never had any problems with these. Since having this piercing though, my ear has become very swollen and sensitive, not just a little around the area, quite a bit across the whole ear. It is very painful, I think it might be because the piercing is too tight but I tried to take the earring out and replace it with a longer one, and I couldn't remove the earring, it caused a lot of pain and the swelling remains. HELP!
|

replied January 5th, 2013
I have just recently gotten my 2nd lobe piercing on Monday, and I am expeiriencing redndess, swelling, and tenderness to the touch. Also, when I clean under the piercing, there is a little bit of discharge and bleeding. I asked my mom, and she said it was normal. Being 11, I won't fully trust my mom, so I did some research, and it is absolutely normal the 1st or 2nd week of piercing it. Funny, too, how I got my nears done at Claires. I'm just going to clean it 2-3 times a day, and take a painkiller and hopefully it feels better soon! Best of wishes to you and me Smile
Hayley
|

replied April 17th, 2013
I got mine done at claires as well and my research i have looked at peoples swelling complaints and most of them lead up to claires...hmmmm...anyways yes i am feeling the pain u were dealing with
|

replied April 17th, 2013
I got mine done at claires as well and my research i have looked at peoples swelling complaints and most of them lead up to claires...hmmmm...anyways yes i am feeling the pain u were dealing with
|

Piercing
I have just recently gotten my 2nd lobe piercing on Monday, and I am expeiriencing redndess, swelling, and tenderness to the touch. Also, when I clean under the piercing, there is a little bit of discharge and bleeding. I asked my mom, and she said it was normal. Being 11, I won't fully trust my mom, so I did some research, and it is absolutely normal the 1st or 2nd week of piercing it. Funny, too, how I got my nears done at Claires. I'm just going to clean it 2-3 times a day, and take a painkiller and hopefully it feels better soon! Best of wishes to you and me Smile
Hayley
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Hayley,

I believe that Claires gives their piercing patients a solution of "ear care antiseptic" which contains benzalkonium chloride.

If this solution is not keeping the piercing from swelling and getting red, you might want to change to regular old hydrogen peroxide.

Hydrogen peroxide will usually do a better job of cleaning up any inflammation and infection you might have.

Good luck.
|

replied March 13th, 2014
possible infection from peircing?
i just got my ears peirced about 4 days ago, and now its really swollen and it hurts alot. I am scared that it might be infected. Any ideas?
|
Quick Reply