Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Swollen after lap. appendectomy?

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
Hi there!

I had a lap. appendectomy 9 days ago without complications and so far, I have recovered fairly well. I went to the Dr. to get my stitches removed on Monday (7 days post op) and he said everything looked fine, but I am still a bit concerned about my stomach. It doesn't hurt, but it seems swollen - not an awful lot, but just kinda like when you are bloated/constipated (which I am not). Is this normal? I was told that it is and that it will go down on it's own, but I just feel like it should have gone down by now?

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum. I am glad that I can help you.

Post abdominal surgeries involving procedures on the intestines, it takes at least 48-72 hours for the normal gut motility to return. In addition the intestinal motility can be further delayed for a week or two in presence of inflammation during the healing process.

This may evident in individuals as early satiety, bloated sensation or decreased appetite, etc.

This is a transient phase and will subside on its own, depending on the ammount of rest provided for the gut to relax and heal. Early return to full activity and lack of proper rest will further delay the recovery.

Presence of fever, severe pain, inability to pass flatus, severe nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite are signs that should alert you to seek medical attention at the earliest.

I hope you find the information here helpful.

|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2011
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum. I am glad that I can help you.

Post abdominal surgeries involving procedures on the intestines, it takes at least 48-72 hours for the normal gut motility to return. In addition the intestinal motility can be further delayed for a week or two in presence of inflammation during the healing process.

This may evident in individuals as early satiety, bloated sensation or decreased appetite, etc.

This is a transient phase and will subside on its own, depending on the ammount of rest provided for the gut to relax and heal. Early return to full activity and lack of proper rest will further delay the recovery.

Presence of fever, severe pain, inability to pass flatus, severe nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite are signs that should alert you to seek medical attention at the earliest.

I hope you find the information here helpful.

|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.