Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Swollen abdomen after exercise post appendectomy

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
Hi

I had an laparoscopic appendectomy just over 2 months ago. It was a 2.5 hour operation, due to an abcess forming on my appendix. I was in hospital for a week after the op and had antibiotics afterwards.
It took a while, but after a month I was feeling better.

If I am on my feet for any length of time, my abdomen swells up.
It has been over 2 months, I only ever do gentle walking. I went to my local GP a few weeks ago, they just took my blood and told me it was ok.

Should my abdomen still be swelling up after such a long period? I used to run before this operation, but don't want to attempt running until I am able to walk without this happening!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2011
Hello and thank you for your post on e health forum.

Post surgical procedures on the intestines, it does take some time for the function to return to normal.

In your case the intestinal function of absorption of water might have been reduced, following the appendicular abscess and resultant peritonitis. This might be the bloating sensation that you might be having.

This can be controlled by OTC medications like Gas X or charcoal tablets.

In case this does not resolve soon, you may need a consultation with the operating surgeon for a review.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.