Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

swelling post mastectomy

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
I had a mastectomy 3.5 months ago without any plastic surgery, tissue expanders etc and only 3 lymph nodes were removed. However, I have had considerable swelling at the site since that time to the extent that I now appear to have a very large, if oddly shaped breast. The surgeon has aspirated the breast twice since, most recenlty about 3 weeks ago. The swelling has been worse since the last aspiration. The surgeon and the oncologist both discourage frequent aspiration as they say that the pressure causes the vessels carrying fluid to the area to seal themselves up. However, I am concerned that the swelling has been going on far longer than usual and wonder whether, (a) this is normal, and (b) whether I should be seeking a second opinion.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you telling that you have developed swelling at the place of removed breast, that looks like large, oddly shaped breast?
Do you have collection of fluid under the scar (blood or clear fluid)?
|

replied April 21st, 2008
hematoma after mastectomy
Hi MandMs, Yes, I have developed swelling at the place of the removed breast that looks like a large, oddly shaped breast. The swelling has also spread to above the breast and to the underarm and is quite uncomfortable with chafing. The surgeon has removed fluid from it recently a week ago and four weeks ago that is bloody (in the month after surgery the fluid was clear). The swelling quickly returned after these two aspirations.
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, Api2!
Your body will absorb any blood and fluid that remained that caused the swelling, just as it does with a bruise. The time it takes varies with individuals. It may be several weeks for all the swelling to disappear.
If any sign of infection occurs, such as, redness, pain or fever, call your doctor right away.
|

replied April 28th, 2008
swelling post mastectomy
I am concerned that the swelling/hematoma developed several weeks after the surgery and that it is still there, as bad as if not worse than ever, even though it is now nearly 5 months after surgery.
|