Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

swelling of xiphoid process with pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
For the past few weeks I have had alot of abdominal pains all over. Had a CT done and all came back well except large cyst on left ovary. Then I started to have a lot of chest pain, it felt like i was having a heart attack. Had a CT on chest but everything came back ok. My enzyme level was high...not sure what that means. They really didn't say either. They said I had chostochondritis. I have now had excrutiating pain in my xiphoid process and it is very swollen and tender to touch. I can't sleep because its hard to get comfortable and I also have been having really bad acid reflux to the point it feels like I am going to get sick. I'm not sure exactly what is going on but people keep telling me it could be hiatal hernia. Could that cause xiphoid process to swell and hurt really bad? Also have a lot of pain throughout my rib cage. Any help would be great.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Andrew53
|

replied February 16th, 2011
Swollen/inflammed xyphoid process treatment
I went to the ER with heart attack symptoms, but ended up checking out okay for that. My follow-up trip to a gastroenterologist revealed that I have an inflammed xyphoid process, a form of costrochondritis. So, I'm right in the same situation as you. If you get this (now that it's over a year later), I hope all is well. If not, for what it's worth, try taking a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (like Aleve) for a while and see if it helps. Be sure to read the drug warnings to make sure it doesn't conflict with something else you have.

My doctor said this is very common for people who work on the computer a lot and sit with bad posture -- slouching and putting too much pressure on the xyphoid process. This causes it to become swollen. So, part of treating it, if this is your case, is to be sure to sit up properly.

Also, which could relate to your reflux, a lot of people have stomach trouble with this, because pressure from the stomach on the xyphoid process makes it worse. So, follow the heartburn protocol for eating -- particularly eating more frequent smaller meals to avoid getting totally full.

Hope this helps you or anyone...
|
Users who thank Andrew53 for this post: srfcrzy 

replied March 27th, 2011
This is a very helpful reply, thank you.

I had been having some persistent mild heartburn for a while, started treating it with diet and smaller meals and eating more slowly (chewing better, longer) with great success. I went on vacation and kind of stopped paying as much attention to the eating slowly with small meals part and while away, just happened to feel into the area where the xiphoid process is and--to my horror--find a swollen, tender nodule there.

Totally freaked out, I did a Google search and found this along with another discussion thread that revealed others with the exact same symptoms (combined with acid reflux). Who knew?

Anyway, your reply here is the first I have seen that explains what the possible connection could be between xiphoid process tendernus and reflux/stomach issues.

I am very healthy, eat well, exercise a lot, etc. But I do have a bad habit of sitting slouched on my couch while working online from home for hours on end. I will definitely adjust that and keep my reflux diet going and see if that helps.

I haven't felt for the xiphoid in a few days (and don't have pain there unless I push on it) because I imagine poking it won't help with the inflamation, but I plan to check it gently once a week to see if there are any changes.

Thanks for you info. If you have learned anything else since your original post, I sure would love to hear it.
|

replied June 16th, 2011
Pain to the Xiphoid process
Resently I had the unpleasant pain of my xiphoid being enlarged and hurting when touched or pushed on. I would resolve the matter by taking antacids. I had narrowed my problem of this from coffee, to nutriant drinks (pomegrante) to drinking beer. I stopped drinking coffee - no change. I stopped drinking my nutriant drink no change. I stopped drinking beer - whaaaa laaa - I have been pain free for a week now. What I did was I stopped all three at once. and one day at a time I first went back to drinking a cup of coffee -I was fine. Then I went to drinking one can of my nutriant drink - I was fine. Then I drank a beer - ouch. I stopped that day. The next day - I drank another beer - almost immediately I had pain. I stopped 1/2 way through the beer and the pain was gone within 2 hours and today Im fine. Its been only a few days that I tried this - but one thing Im going to try is to see if its the type of beer or beer in general. Just for information I'll try to post more if its valuable.
|

replied March 11th, 2013
I have had the same issue with drinking beer.....especially if I drink coffee the next day. I have a lot of pain in my xiphoid area. It is pretty tender and painful to touch. It is usually only beer as far as alcohol goes that brings the pain back. My doctor put me on a strong form of something similar to prilosec. I took it for 30 days and it seemed to help. He mentioned it wasn't an ulcer after he checked my enzyme levels? He suggested that I have an endoscopy. Could it still be an ulcer? I don't have acid reflux and it doesn't feel like heartburn; it's just pain in the xiphoid area, but it's painful enough to cause me concern. Maybe I just need to quit alcohol (at least beer) and coffee for good. On a side note, I did quit for a while and when I started drinking both again it was fine for a while. Now the pain is back. I just want to know what's going on. Any insight would be helpful.
|

replied November 24th, 2013
XIPHOID PROCESS
I HAVE PAIN IN MY XIPHOID PROCESS.IT GET SWOLLEN EVERYTIME I EAT A MEAL AND ITS PAINFUL..ALSO WHEN I LIFT SOMETHING UP ITS PAINFUL.I APPLY A ICE PACK ON IT AND BEN GAY,ITS HELP. ALSO I CUT BACK ON HEAVY MEALS AND LIFTING HEAVY THINGS.ITS HELP...
|